Hotels in Galveston. HELP!!

purplejc5

My husband are going on our 30th anniversary cruise on the Conquest in January:). I want to stay someplace nice, so after alot of stress and research (mainly the CC boards) I finally booked the Holiday Sunspree Resort (194.99 per night) I asked alot of questions about what it included, etc.. I was reasonably happy with my decision, although it was more than I wanted to spend. I get my confirmation through e-mail and find out I was charged $5.00 for an extra person (my husband) and $5.00 for a rollaway bed :confused: . What do I need a rollaway bed for when there is only 2 people. I called the Holiday Inn right away and asked about the charges. The rep. was rather rude and said they always charge $5.00 for any people after 1 and didn't know anything about the rollaway bed since "my screen is not the same as your e-mail". She could not give me an answer until we get there. I don't think so. So now I am deciding between the Hampton Inn and The Tremont House ( I know,no comparison). I am going to cancel with Holiday Inn, but don't know where to go from here? Please help with suggestions. I would really like the Hilton Galveston Island Resort or the Galvez, but they are sold out (I'm going to keep trying, hoping for a cancellation) as is many hotels in the area. Sorry for the long version. I am so confused.

Thanks everybody

We enjoyed the Tremont so much earlier this year. Unfortunately, it is sold out for our next cruise for January 26th, so we were lucky enough to get rooms at the Hilton. The Tremont is a very nice hotel and would be a great place to start your anniversary trip, in my opinion. Good luck.

Mardis Gras isn't until February. I think they're taking advantage of all the cruisers, especially with the Voyager and the Conquest sailing out of there for a few months. It's never this high in the off season! My TA was having problems getting hotel rooms for cruisers and even called the Galveston Chamber of Commerce to see what was going on. They didn't have an answer.

I forgot that Easter is 3/23/08 this year. THat's the earliest on the liturgical calendar that it could be. So, the beginning of Lent is 2/5/08. That is SO early!! You're right, Kat, they celebrate Mardis Gras for the two weekends and on Fat Tuesday before Ash Wednesday! My mistake!

I have been trying to find a Hotel for Apr. 12,2008.....why are they so expensive?? Is the normal price $249.00 :eek: a night??? I just don't understand it! When I do find a Hotel, most of them are sold out and if they aren't they are so pricey...WHY?????:o

Does anyone have any recommendations??? I would greatly appreciate it!!

Does anyone have anny thoughts about the Holiday Inn on the beach?? The only issue I have is that there are NO cancellations....what if something happens and we can't make it...I am out of $150.00

Also any thoughts on the LaQuinta?

robtx100

when did you call to get rooms at the Tremont. I just called yesterday (oct. 14th) still had rooms for $215 plus tax.

It's been a couple of months. When I looked there were no rooms available, so we booked the Hilton. It is non-refundable, so too late to change now.

My husband are going on our 30th anniversary cruise on the Conquest in January:). I want to stay someplace nice...

So now I am deciding between the Hampton Inn and The Tremont House ( I know,no comparison). I am going to cancel with Holiday Inn, but don't know where to go from here? Please help with suggestions. I would really like the Hilton Galveston Island Resort or the Galvez, but they are sold out (I'm going to keep trying, hoping for a cancellation) as is many hotels in the area. Sorry for the long version. I am so confused.

Thanks everybody

Well, since the Galvez and the Hilton are sold out, try the Tremont. It is a Wyndham hotel, as are the Galvez and the Harbor House. Ask for their Entertainment Member rate, which is about 50% off the rack rate if their alotment of rooms is not up already. (You can order the Entertainment book online for about $25 and it saves you lots.) If not, try the Harbor House at the Entertainment rate. How about a Bed & Breakfast in Galveston? That would be great for an anniversary treat? There is also the option of a beach condo. Best wishes and let us know what you find.

Well, since the Galvez and the Hilton are sold out, try the Tremont. It is a Wyndham hotel, as are the Galvez and the Harbor House. Ask for their Entertainment Member rate, which is about 50% off the rack rate if their alotment of rooms is not up already. (You can order the Entertainment book online for about $25 and it saves you lots.) If not, try the Harbor House at the Entertainment rate. How about a Bed & Breakfast in Galveston? That would be great for an anniversary treat? There is also the option of a beach condo. Best wishes and let us know what you find.

Avenue O B & B. Stayed there three times. Connie and Jim are great. Loved it. Free cruise parking, too. http://www.avenueo.com.

How close to the Cruise Port is this B&B? How did you get to the ship and back, if you left your car?

Sounds like a wonderful place.

Thanks for posting it!

It is probably about a mile from the port. We had a cab called to transport us but while we were waiting for the cab, Connie and Jim were leaving and offered to drop us off. On our return some friends picked us up and dropped us back off at the B & B.

Ave O states they accommodate special requests so I am sure something could be worked out if you needed a ride to the port.

Connie put together a very special weekend for my wife and I including a horse drawn carriage ride, champagne and strawberries at the whirlpool, and breakfast in bed.

Connie's breakfasts are out of this world!

If you are going to be driving and want something a bit upscale, check out the South Shore Harbour Hotel in League City http://www.sshr.com/ and/or the Hilton in Nassau Bay. Both are located on Clear Lake and are within a 45-minute drive from Galveston and the cruise terminal. There are also all the chain motels in this area.

I would reccomend the Tremont House or Harbor House. They are # 1 & 2 in Galveston on www.tripadvisor.com. You can peruse the reviews there.I have stayed at both and love them both. They are the closest to the terminal as well, and near the Strand. You can book through Wyndham or www.galveston.com. You can leave your car at the Harbor House for the cruise if you are driving in.

I would reccomend the Tremont House or Harbor House. They are # 1 & 2 in Galveston on www.tripadvisor.com. You can peruse the reviews there.I have stayed at both and love them both. They are the closest to the terminal as well, and near the Strand. You can book through Wyndham or www.galveston.com. You can leave your car at the Harbor House for the cruise if you are driving in.

Unfortunately there are no rooms available in either Hotel for 4/12/08.

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately there are no rooms available in either Hotel for 4/12/08.

some of the hotels require 2 nights and if you put in two nights something comes up, but if you only put one it looks sold out.....not sure if this is what is going on.

The Holiday Inn on the Sea was a very nice hotel and we enjoyed our stay there very much. The shuttle to the hotel was a very good experience. The parking for the cruise is behind the hotel and is not covered. Our experience turned bad once we disembarked from the cruise ship. I called the number the driver gave me when he took us to the ship and he informed me he was in the area and would be right there. 30 minutes later I called him again and he said he was full and that we would have to call for another shuttle. 15 minutes later I paid for a taxi and once I got back to the hotel we got our car and left. On te ferry ride back to the mainland I called the hotel and they told me the manager was at lunch and I could leave a voice mail. About half way to Baton Rouge the manager called me and wasnt very apologetic at all. He did say that he would pay for my taxi fee but I told him I was more than a 100 miles away and it was too late. I told him id just write it off as a bad experience and he basically said oh well. This is the only way I know to inform people about the management there.:eek:

Archived