Onion Tart Recipe

lsw0224

Does anyone have book that lists all the recipes? Im looking for the recipe for the Vandalia Onion Tart. Thanks!

Here is the recipe

Royal Caribbean International

Vidalia Onion Tart with Red Pepper Coulis Garnish

October 2006

PIE

1 pie crust purchased or

1 cup all purpose flour

½ tsp. salt

¼ cup shortening at room temperature

3 Tablespoons water

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 cup julienned Vidalia onions (2-3 onions)

1 Tablespoon chopped thyme

Salt and freshly ground pepper

FILING

½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese

3 eggs

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 Tablespoon chopped parsley

1 Tablespoon chopped chives

½ tsp. ground nutmeg

RED PEPPER COULIS

4 red bell peppers

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

GARNISH

1 medium Vidalia onion

1/3 cup vegetable oil

Fresh chervil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a medium bowl, with a fork, lightly stir together flour and salt. With fork, cut shortening into flour until the mixture resembles crumbs. Sprinkle cold water one teaspoon at a time, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition, until pastry begins to hold together. With your hands, shape into a ball. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry in 1/8 inch thick circle about 2 inches larger than pie mold.

Roll pastry circle gently onto rolling pin. Transfer to pie mold and unroll. With a sharp knife, trim edges, pinch to form a high ridge and make a decorative edge by pressing with a fork. Prick pie crust with a fork to prevent puffing during baking. Refrigerate for ½ hour.

Blind bake pie crust for 7 minutes, remove from oven and let cool.

While pie crust is baking, warm olive oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat, and sauté onions until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add thyme and season with salt and pepper.

Spread onions evenly in pie crust. Sprinkle with cheese.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs lightly; add cream, fresh herbs and seasonings. Beat until well mixed.

Pour mixture over cheese and onions. Bake for 40 minutes.

For coulis, blanch peppers in boiling water. Cool in ice water, and remove skins.

In a blender, puree the peppers and olive oil until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

For garnish, in a small skillet over high heat, warm oil and deep fry onion until golden brown (about 2 minutes).

Serve slices of tart on warmed plates, top with fried onions and garnish with spoons of pepper coulis.

did it come out like the delicious ones on the ship?

Yes, but the flavor is a little different if you don't use Vidialia onions which are not available all the time so I have used just sweet onions and it is still excellent.

did it come out like the delicious ones on the ship?

YUP! every time...i make it all the time too....took it to a holiday party last year at my old job....it went in mere minutes....tastes the same....if you can't find vidalia you could try mayan or maui and if you can't find them, just something sweet....(even tho the vidalia onion season is only a few months, for some reason i can almost always find them!)

yum

BTW, is this supposed to be served warm on the ship? I ask because mine was cool, or maybe it was room temperature. It certainly wasn't warm or hot, and I didn't know if I should have sent it back or not. :p

Thanks.

It can be served room temp or hot, tastes a little better in my opinion on the hotter side.

^ ^ Thanks, Sue. Yes, I was expecting it to be hot, but no biggie. It was still tasty. My son and I also discovered the fruit soups this past cruise... we ordered a bowl every night, and then quite by accident, wandered into the Windjammer on the last evening and there was the biggest tureen of the same kind of fruit soup we'd just eaten in the DR! You should have seen his face! :eek: Wish we'd discovered it earlier. ;)

Thanks. Is it hard to make? I am lacking in the cooking dept.

No, it is not hard at all. Buy the frozen pie shell and it really makes it easy. I usually make two at a time and cook them both and freeze one for another day.

• 1 month later...

I came across this thread when I was getting ready for my first RCI cruise. When I saw it on the menu, I knew I had to try it. Boy, am I glad I did! Everyone at our table who ordered it loved it! I remembered seeing the recipe on the boards and just did a search for this thread so I could make it for Christmas dinner. Hope it turns out and that I might feel, just a little, like I'm back on the Grandeur!

Archived