High School Reunion Cruise - a good idea or no?

People_Mover

Yes, there are youngsters that post on here! :D We are having our 10 year H.S. reunion in 2009 and have our planning committee of 8 or so members. Our H.S. graduated 900+ students and someone brought up the idea of a cruise for the reunion. We live in FL, so it's easy to drive to Port Canaveral, Tampa or Miami (except for those that moved away).

Good idea or bad idea?

I think it's a great idea. People would be able to spend as little or as much time together as they like. Kids club onboard would provide activities for anyone who brings children. I would definately decide as soon as possible. We did a family reunion cruise. You will want to get a group of cabins asap. It was nice because our travel agent did all of the brochures, took care of calling everyone and handled all of the payments. Plus, most of us had never cruised, so she helped us choose the cruise that was best for us. I can email you our flyer we sent out if you like. Just email me.

I think it depends on the type of people you went to high school with, but personally, I don't think it is a good idea.

A lot of people may not have the time/money/vacation days/family situation/etc. that allows them to cruise.Some people just don't like cruising, either. (I know it is hard for us to believe since we are all cruise-fans!)

I don't think it is fair that they wouldn't be able to attend their high school reunion because a small group thinks it would be fun. Form some type of trip with the people you still keep in touch with if you have interest.

FWIW, my sister had her 10-year not too long ago, and they had to cancel it due to lack of interest... it was going to be at a fancy place in downtown Chicago, and people just didn't want to hire babysitters, travel to Chicago from the suburbs, and pay $75-$100/plate.

So it's up to you, since you know your fellow graduates the best. Would they be willing to shell out money and time for a cruise?

Actually, I don't know that you could even speak for 900+ people! Is there anyway you could do a poll or mailing to gauge interest or something?

Perhaps you could do some sort of chartered dinner on a boat instead?

(Also, on a complete sidenote, my 10-year reunion is in 2009 as well, I graduated high school in 1999!)

You will be eliminating many of those who would otherwise show up for a more traditional get-together -- a dinner/dance, etc.. There are some who absolutely will not cruise under any circumstances. Others will not be able to afford it (for even a three-night sailing a couple would have to budget $1000. For some people in their late twenties with maybe small kids and big mortgages that could be tough). Others will not be available for the minimum of three to four days necessary because of work or childcare issues.

I guess it all depends on how inclusive you wish to be.

You had 900 people in your graduating class? That's huge.

I'd have to say bad idea. The cost of the trip would exclude many people who would otherwise go. People won't want to bring their children, they won't be able to get time off from work, etc.

If you want to cruise with your friends, it'd be better to plan this separately and not part of your reunion.

Keep it simple and affordable.

go for it !!!

book a 3 day or 4 day cruise then people can try to budget it and go

if you did another type of reunion like a dance or something it would still cost that much per person anyway..

i would email some of the people in the class and ask for their opinions, if you could get a lot of them saying they want to do it, then do it

have fun

As some of the other posters have said, it might not work because of the young ages, children, other financial commitments.

However, for what it’s worth, we have been cruising annually for the past five years with a group from DH’s high school days, and we always have a great time. But this is a different situation -- his high school days were about 50 years ago. So maybe you should wait 30 or 40 years and then try a cruise reunion!

if you did another type of reunion like a dance or something it would still cost that much per person anyway..

Really? I think my estimate of $1000/couple or $500 is probably pretty close.

Figure maybe a cruise fare of $300 p/p

Add taxes of about $25

Add gratuities of about $30

Now you're up to $355

Parking at the pier: $30 per couple / $15 p/p

Lots of socializing with old friends so I can easily see $75 p/p bar bill

Gotta do something in the port(s) of call: $50 p/p

Plus, if the organizing committee arranges any special private events like a party or no-host reception in one of the lounges add another $25 p/p

You're now at $520 p/p

You can argue that my numbers may be off but there's no way dinner and dancing will come even close to $500 p/p. Not if you expect anyone to show up.

Add taxes of about $25

Now you're up to $355

Plus, if the organizing committee arranges any special private events like a party or no-host reception in one of the lounges add another $25 p/p

You're now at $520 p/p

You can argue that my numbers may be off but there's no way dinner and dancing will come even close to $500 p/p.

I agree... that other post saying that they would cost the same had me stratching my head. I wish!!! That way I could cruise more. :p

The logistics for something that big would be impossible. Plus, you'd have to put a huge number of cabins on reserve in order to do this and I'm not sure that's possible. Even if you offered this as a "book on your own" deal, unless you could get a cruise line to block out a lot of cabins, which I don't think they would, you could have a lot of angry people if you didn't block out enough cabins and some classmates got shut out of the trip. Plus, this is something that needs to be done more than a year in advance.

I remember when I was at the 10 year reunion time, there was no way we would have had the time or money to take a cruise. We had two small boys at that time and something like a cruise would have been cost prohibitive. I think a dinner/dance is a great idea and then do a family picnic for everyone and their kids on the next day. That's what we did for our 10th reunion.

Class of 95 here so another youngin'. I've been cruising since I was 12 years old and now that I have 4 children we still cruise but I would not attend a class reunion on a cruise, ...most of them still have a lot of growing up to do, I did that 11 years ago when I had my first child so I couldnt stand to be around most of them.:D

I did like the idea another poster had about maybe a dinner cruise for a night or two.

• Administrators
Yes, there are youngsters that post on here! :D We are having our 10 year H.S. reunion in 2009 and have our planning committee of 8 or so members. Our H.S. graduated 900+ students and someone brought up the idea of a cruise for the reunion. We live in FL, so it's easy to drive to Port Canaveral, Tampa or Miami (except for those that moved away).

Good idea or bad idea?

What about booking a more traditional "reunion" venue/banquet hall for a dinner dance on a Saturday night as the "official" reunion, and then seeing what a good TA could arrange for a group rate for a cruise leaving the next day for those who might want to prolong the fun? Since you have time (more than a year ahead), you could set a date in your mailings to your classmates by which they would need to let the TA know they wanted to cruise.

Add taxes of about $25

Now you're up to $355

You're now at $520 p/p

You can argue that my numbers may be off but there's no way dinner and dancing will come even close to $500 p/p. Not if you expect anyone to show up.

ok so it wont be that much for a dance. but who organizes those things???? and pays for the place to have it at? food ? DJ etc... thats what i meant... all in all the price of having the reunion somewhere like that for over 900 people ... i think the cruise is the best way to go , unless the school has a big reunion fund sitting somewhere ,

i know the OP didnt say anything about this being an option, but just in general, we had our 10 yr reunion last year in san francisco and it was over 10,000$ to have a place for 150 people, including dinner, dancing and open bar...plus we paid 100$ a couple..

im just saying

I think the bigger question that you should answer is what kind of reunion do you want? Do you want a lot of people there or doesn't it matter as long as some people show up?

I'm also a '99 graduate with no commitments (mortgages, kids etc.) except for student loans and there's no way I would personally want to cruise with my people from my high school. Nor do I know that I could afford it. My graduating class was only 90 students though and we all had known each other from 5th grade.

If you decide on a cruise know that you will be limiting who can go. Many people cannot afford it at this point in their lives as other people have mentioned, especially once you add in airfare and shore excursions. Also not everybody will be able to take the time off unless you plan it over T-Day or Christmas, when it will be more cost-prohibitive than say September or January. Plus, no offense made here, but to ask people to shell out a $5-600/pp for their reunion really would turn me off of the whole thing.

I like the idea of just booking some place and letting people know that in addition to the reunion there will be a reunion cruise starting the following day for those that are interested and can afford the time and/or money.

If you are absolutely set on a cruise, it might be easier to find out about doing some kind of dinner cruise or a 1 day cruise to nowhere. This adds the element of luxury and being out on the water.

Send out a questionnaire as to what the people in your class would like to do.

Also I like the idea mentioned above. Break it up. Do a 2 day land base thing with everyone. Then do a 4 to 5 night cruise with those that want to go.

900 plus families, you could be looking at a charter!

I think your estimate is on the low side but it makes the point, the cost is likely to be prohibitive to many. I think the OP is looking at something more like about $800 pp - many will need to book hotels, flights, board pets, etc.

Now if there is enough interest, they could probably swing a group deal. I strongly suggest using a good cruise agent who can handle groups. There will be cancellations, re-bookings, people wanting to join at the last minute. Pay someone to deal with the headaches.

What about booking a more traditional "reunion" venue/banquet hall for a dinner dance on a Saturday night as the "official" reunion, and then seeing what a good TA could arrange for a group rate for a cruise leaving the next day for those who might want to prolong the fun?

My mother's 40th is next year and her organizing committee has booked a group cruise, with a get-together at a hotel close to Port Canaveral. She's pondering because of the cost. And she no longer has small kids to worry about.

Her high school is about 30 mines south of the port, so the location is reasonable. But participating is not cheap. In addition to the cost of the cruise, if she wants to see the people who aren't cruising, she'd have to book a night or two at the hotel and allow for the cost of the land-based events.

If you're part of the organizing committee, you might consider setting up a website to include a poll of your former classmates and sending out postcards or an email blast linking to the site, so that you get a good gauge of interest for a cruise. A good TA can take care of the details for you, but you want to make sure that you have enough interest to make the booking worthwhile.

My thought is that the 10 year reunion should be very inclusive and done affordably. You're really just starting out.

Other ideas could be to set up a 15 year cruise for those who are really interested. Or have your weekend shindig and book a 4-day for the following week for those who have that flexibility.

Look and see if there is a 2 day cruise to nowhere close to your "reunion" time.

That way, it would be a cruise...but not stuck for a week with someone who has :really changed: in 10 years.

If you're part of the organizing committee, you might consider setting up a website to include a poll of your former classmates and sending out postcards or an email blast linking to the site, so that you get a good gauge of interest for a cruise.

If you do a poll make sure that you're very upfront about the cost. Most people have no idea what to expect cost-wise and without spelling it out for them it will skew the results.

And also include the cost for anyone traveling as a single -- at the ten year mark there will probably be many of them too. That's one advantage to a more traditional type of reunion -- singles don't get penalized for being single as they do on a cruise.

I went to high school in Florida, but moved to California about 10 yrs after I graduated. I received an invitation to our 20 yr. reunion, which was going to be a 4-day cruise to the Bahamas. I didn't hesitate. I went and had a really great time! The invitation included all the information as to how much it would cost, including taxs, tips, and parking charges, etc. The rest of the costs I figured out myself. It was a really fun time!:D

Yes, some people can't afford it, or won't like to cruise. But then, some people can't afford other events either, and still others don't like to travel at all. You can't please everyone. Just send out invitations and see who wants to go. Those that do, will and those that don't, won't. It was a big expense for me, but the invitation came about 6 months before the actual cruise so I was able to save up for it. It was worth every penny!:)

If you do a poll make sure that you're very upfront about the cost. Most people have no idea what to expect cost-wise and without spelling it out for them it will skew the results.

And also include the cost for anyone traveling as a single -- at the ten year mark there will probably be many of them too. That's one advantage to a more traditional type of reunion -- singles don't get penalized for being single as they do on a cruise.

I went to the reunion without my husband as he wasn't really interested in hanging with schoolmates he didn't know. I called one of my best girlfriends from my school days and she and I went on the cruise together. We had a really great time reconnecting with each other, and meeting up with old boyfriends, and other friends. It was fun to see how everyone had changed (or not).:eek:

I agree about being upfront about as much of the costs as you can. Also, give lots of notice. Because my invitation for the reunion came about 6 months before the cruise, I was able to save up for it.:D

seems like there are a lot of cases out there where people teeter as to whether or not to attend a high school reunion...anyone thats on the fence may fall off and not go with the expense of a cruise involved...but everyone's HS experience is different...I guess it just depends on how close most of the grads were...me personally...I dont think I would attend...but again, thats just me...