What is the longest cruise you'd go on

Orcrone

What is the longest cruise you'd want to take?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. What is the longest cruise you'd want to take?

• 7 days - a week is enough
    • 8 to 10 days - start getting antsy around a week
    • 11 to 14 days - a week's not long enough, but 2 is pushing it
    • 15 to 21 days - 2 to 3 weeks allows me to see all I want
    • 22 to 28 days - need the longer time for more exotic locales
    • 29 to 35 days - A month is good, beyond that is too much
    • Can you say World Voyage?

I voted for world cruise.

BUT, I could never leave my doggie for more than 3 weeks.

I mean, we got him from the SPCA and he fit right into our family after about a month, so how long did it take him to forget his previous family? How long would it take for him to forget us? :confused:

Look at this cutie and you tell me you could leave him!

CIMG2197.jpg.e70c82412a9058ec4b28d4330523d029.jpg

I've done a 17-day re-positioning cruise and wasn't bored for one moment. I could live on a cruise ship!!!! I've often told my DH that I'd love to have a job in the ship's shops....closed while in port and I could see the world for free. Maybe I will retire on some ship one day....:rolleyes:

I couldn't vote as you don't list my answer. :( There's a big gap between the 35 day cruise and the World Cruise.

I've done several cruises in the 30-35 day range and know I could happily sail longer. The longest I'm interested in going is the 64-day (+/-) Circle Pacific, or the 66/67 day circumnavigation of South America.

I'm not interested in doing the World Cruise. Not sure why, just doesn't appeal to me. Perhaps because it goes to such hot-weather ports? :confused:

I couldn't vote as you don't list my answer. :( There's a big gap between the 35 day cruise and the World Cruise.

I've done several cruises in the 30-35 day range and know I could happily sail longer. The longest I'm interested in going is the 64-day (+/-) Circle Pacific, or the 66/67 day circumnavigation of South America.

I'm not interested in doing the World Cruise. Not sure why, just doesn't appeal to me. Perhaps because it goes to such hot-weather ports? :confused:

Perhaps you are afraid that on that long a cruise they will run out of chocolate :confused: :p

I wouldn't have a problem with doing a Beatrice Muller and staying aboard ship year round - just having friends and family visit me for lunch on turnaround days....

...as long as I could afford to stay in an SS or MiniSuite the entire time.

;)

(I wonder how much I could get for the furniture and the apartment???)

We always eagerly review the World cruises each year, but so far have only been able to do two or three legs. But they are still worthwhile, always lasting at least 30 days or longer. The interesting people on board are such fun and the ports of call fascinating. One gets aquainted with the crew and officers also. We have never been able to do the whole grand voyage because of time restraints and costs. But if I could I'd be a Beatrice Muller and sail Grand Voyages all the time, if it were possible. I wish .......

Marianne

I saw a show on the travel channel a few weeks back about this ship that was basically a condominium building. The passengers had purchased the custom designed apartments, and lived on the ship year round. Then again, I'm not sure if the apartments were purchased or leased. Either way, the ship had about a maximum of 125 passengers at any given time, and we're talking about a big ship. Of course, with this lifestyle comes a price tag. I don't remember the specific cost of any of the condos, but the staff of the ship said that their least wealthy tenants had an annual income of about $5 million.

Apart from the money issue, how many of you would go for that arrangement?

My husband and I did a 21 day repo (Vancouver to San Juan) and would have loved to stay on for the 7 day Southern Caribbean if we could have. We were never bored, loved every minute of it and would do it again in a heat beat. And my parents were with us, obviously, my DH gets along well with them. They loved it as well, but were ready to get home. My dream would be for a world cruise someday...

Not me SarasMommy. No interest in that at all. The World by ResidenceSea is probably the ship to which you're referring. Most of the condos are almost like time shares. They're rented out for periods of time when the owner is not aboard. Besides, I don't fit the income profile! ;)

Not me SarasMommy. No interest in that at all. The World by ResidenceSea is probably the ship to which you're referring. Most of the condos are almost like time shares. They're rented out for periods of time when the owner is not aboard. Besides, I don't fit the income profile! ;)

That name seems to ring a bell - I think you're right. It sounds good in theory, but in my opinion it could possibly take away from the specialness (is that a word?) of cruising. But then again, I don't fit the income profile either!

I saw a show on the travel channel a few weeks back about this ship that was basically a condominium building. The passengers had purchased the custom designed apartments, and lived on the ship year round. Then again, I'm not sure if the apartments were purchased or leased. Either way, the ship had about a maximum of 125 passengers at any given time, and we're talking about a big ship. Of course, with this lifestyle comes a price tag. I don't remember the specific cost of any of the condos, but the staff of the ship said that their least wealthy tenants had an annual income of about $5 million.

Apart from the money issue, how many of you would go for that arrangement?

Like Jim said, you're probably saw "The World"

511775.jpg

I said World Voyage for a few reasons--you can see things you'd never be able to see otherwise, they stop for a few days' time in some places (I always thought that would be nice for even a 14- to 16-dayer--stop outside of Rome or Florence for a few days instead of just one).

If it weren't for my plethora of cats and my lack of cash, I'd book one tomorrow! Day AFTER tomorrow I'm heading for my first b2b for a total of 14 days, longest time on the water yet, so maybe I'm working my way up?

Diane

We were behind the World going through the Panama Canal. So we saw "the end of the world" and then we wen to Hell (GC) :p :D

Good one!:D :D What I find interesting about "the World" is her amount of life boats/tenders. Interesting because she received full Coast Guard certification. Compare the number of her life boats with, say an "R" or "S" class HAL ship though, let alone a Vista

Good one!:D :D What I find interesting about "the World" is her amount of life boats/tenders. Interesting because she received full Coast Guard certification. Compare the number of her life boats with, say an "R" or "S" class HAL ship though, let alone a Vista

I had to go back and look at the picture of The World. Only three lifeboats on the port side.:confused: Never noticed that. Don't suppose there's twenty on the starboard side?;)

I selected "world cruise," mainly because my first Holland America cruise was the Grand World Voyage in 2005, 113 days. It was the trip of a lifetime, and a fantastic experience. We have had several shorter cruises since then, and in January '08 we will take a 68-day cruise on our favorite Prinsendam.

Slinkie

What I find interesting about "the World" is her amount of life boats/tenders. Interesting because she received full Coast Guard certification. Compare the number of her life boats with, say an "R" or "S" class HAL ship though, let alone a Vista

The difference would likely be the passenger capacity. If I remember correctly, there are only about 125 to 150 passengers on board, compared to 1200 and up on most regular cruise ships. I don't remember what the passenger/crew ratio is, though.

One of the the best features of cruising is that it provides a real vacation from the stress and responsibilities of every day life, and to maximize its benefits we do not use cell phones or E-mail during a cruise.

That was a factor in why I chose 15-21 days. If we took a cruise that was longer than a few weeks, it would probably be necessary to touch base at home to make sure everything is OK, and that is something we prefer not to do during a cruise.

I voted for the 8-10 days as godd cruising days. I've been on one 12 day and it was about 3 days too long.

Although, I do have a 12 day scheduled next year to Italy & Greece with only 1 at sea day. We'll see what difference if any that makes.

I dream of gong on the Voyage of the Vikings. I am thinking I could handle 35 days.

Do it! Do it! Do it! I've done that cruise three times and would happily do it again. :)

And it's so convenient for you to get to/from the port!

The longest I've done is 28 days.

I've done several 15 day cruises, and a 21 day cruise.

I LOVE the longer cruises. There is just nothing like a longer voyage. They're different from a 2-week cruise. When I've reached 15 days on the Hawaii cruise I must admit that I'm usually ready to get off and go home. However, when I've been on longer cruises I'm always happy that I've still got a week or two still ahead of me! I look forward to doing a 30 - 35 day cruise someday soon, and then -- after I've retired -- the World Cruise.

Oh, heck ... I just love to curse. 10 Days, 2 weeks, a month ... it's all good! :D

The longest I'm interested in going is the 64-day (+/-) Circle Pacific, or the 66/67 day circumnavigation of South America.

If you can wait until my next sabbatical leave ... and that's only time I would be able to do a 60-some-odd day cruise while still under ministerial appointment ... I would love to make such a voyage with you! :D

Archived