Experience with Travelguard Insurance

VeroSue

I am not endorsing Travel Guard, but I do sell its policies (Just did so today, in fact.) and have never had a complaint from a client of mine.

I would just suggest you read the various options (and there are many) carefully as you can purchase many things you really don't need.

We've used TravelGuard several times and another insurance recommended by our TA once. We filed claims (for medical expenses) with TravelGuard and the other company and found TravelGuard to be prompt, efficient and much less bureaucratic than the other company. The other company made us submit the claim to Medicare and our Medicap policy and get rejected by them before they woud pay. We've been using TravelGuard ever since!

We've used TravelGuard several times and another insurance recommended by our TA once. We filed claims (for medical expenses) with TravelGuard and the other company and found TravelGuard to be prompt, efficient and much less bureaucratic than the other company. The other company made us submit the claim to Medicare and our Medicap policy and get rejected by them before they woud pay. We've been using TravelGuard ever since!

Could you let us know what company that was. It is not a slam of the company, but rather good information about how its policy works.

Hello...

Last May I had an emergency hospitalization on the day we were to leave for a Tahiti cruise. I had purchased Travel Guard Insurance for Business Class Air as well as our cruise. All expenses were reimbursed with a minimum of hassle.

I've always purchased insurance; this was the first time I've had to use it and it was well worth it.

I've already purchased Travel Guard for our next two cruises. I have great confidence in the company.

murphysmum;)

FYI-In computing the amount of insurance you may need, keep in mind that non-discounted Business or First Class Air purchased from the airlines is nearly always fully refundable. Even when air is not refundable, most airlines will allow you to use the value of the purchased air towards another ticket within a year, minus a nominal change fee (usually $100). Thus, it makes little sense (to me) to pay insurance premiums for air. Too bad cruiselines don't have the same policy (i.e., credit for future travel).

IAMBOATMAN - I checked with DH and he couldn't remember the name of the company but he admitted the problem was his fault. Seems he obtained a quote from TravelGuard, with TravelGuard as the primary medical coverage. When the TA gave him a quote from her company he jumped for the lower price without doing a comparison. Her quote was for secondary medical coverage. So the comparison was apples to oranges and he didn't check the details - until after we returned and he filed the claim.

The lesson for all of us (especially my DH) is to understand the coverage and make sure the comparisons are equal.

We can still recommend TravelGuard wholeheartedly as their claim process was good. Sorry for the confusion.

No apology necessary. I knew exactly what you were saying.

I was just curious which company it was, so that people (including me) would know that it provides secondary, rather than primary, insurance.

You are kind to use yourself (or, rather your DH) as an example of why you need to check things carefully and not just rely on a lower quote from a TA.

I love Travelguard. We had to use it a few years back when my mom got sick and had to be airlifted back to the states. They were wonderful--took care of everything upfront. We never saw the bills. We also needed to turn in a minor claim on our last trip (trip delay coming home). I couldn't believe how quickly it was paid. By the way, they also have one of the largest maximums for medical emergencies.

Archived