Cruise vs. All Inclusive Resort ?

susycruise

My question is; is anyone as hooked on resorts as they are on cruising?:confused: :confused: :confused:

We have only cruised a couple of times and can't imagine a better vacation. Our good friends have done both cruising and an all inclusive and would love us to join them on the later, however my DH doesn't feel he would enjoy the land vacation as much as a cruise.

There are many people who would rather do an all inclusive over a cruise. They are very different vacations and just as there are cruisers who have different expectations of a cruise so too with land vacations. Its an individual preference and there is no right or wrong. For us, we have done all inclusives but cruising is our preference.

I think I saw this question asked recently on this board and I saw a very astute answer. The answers you get on a cruise board will be a little biased towards cruising.

Personally, I have yet to go on a cruise, but I have done a few AIs in the Dominican Republic and I can't imagine a better sun holiday than what I have experienced there. I love swimming in the ocean and the beaches in Punta Cana are some of the best in the world.

My BF and I are booked to go on the Carnival Glory this New Year's and while I'm very excited, I am a little sad that we're not going to an AI. I am certainly going to miss the free-flowing alcohol at the swim-up bar. :) I find AIs are wonderfully relaxing, although there are generally lots of organized activities (sports and the like) to get involved in if you want and there are lots of excursions to be booked to explore the country you are in. The staff are very attentive and friendly and work hard to make your vacation the best it can be. The food is plentiful and tasty and the rooms are large and comfortable (although, as you might expect, different resorts do a little better than others in these categories).

I'm sure there are those out there that have done both that can give you a better answer, but I firmly believe that AIs are a great way to spend your vacation. :)

My opinion: I like both!

I have done both cruises and all inclusive vacations. On my last cruise in January, I found that I would LOVE to do an AI in Cabo San Lucas! It was beautiful and the people were very friendly. I'm doing another cruise this coming January, but next year is definatly and AI vacation!

I like cruising to find the spots to do the AI's.

I like the AI's to totally explore the area and do everything that's available there!

We enjoy both cruising and AI.

I think cruising is a better value for the $ than AI based on cost per night per person.

We like to think that cruising to a port is an introductory trip. If we like the port, we may return for an AI for a longer stay.

A friend of mine recently went on a 4 day AI trip to Jamaica and it rained every day. That would be a huge bummer. The biggest advantage of a cruise ship is that it can avoid storms and seek out the sunny skies!

I do both every year, and love every minute I am on the ship and on the beach. Cruising is wonderful as you get to go to so many different ports and have the glamor and tradition of sailing. AI's are geat money savers if you are drinkers and love vegging on the beach. We are leaving on the Crown in 2 weeks from SJU, but we are also staying at Dreams Tulum next June, and then a cruise in August in the Med for 12 nights.

As long as I am getting on a plane and going somewhere, I am happy! I have stayed at AI's in Mexico, Punta Cana, Jamaica, Aruba, and have stayed at many islands where there were AI's but I stayed at an EP. Aruba is one of the places where the local restaurants are FABULOUS, and it would be a crime not to eat at some of them.

If you are looking at any particular AI, just ask as I have been to most of them in the more popular locations.:D

My DH and I are now hooked on cruising, but next year, we are going to do both an AI and a cruise. It will be our first AI with a group of friends. We are going to the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico. Anyone ever been there? Not sure what to expect, but this group has been doing AI for the last 4 years. We are beach lovers, so I'm sure we'll have a great time. Also doing a group cruise next October, but don't have it booked yet.

I've done a heck of a lot more AI's throughout the Caribbean and Mexico than the 5 cruises I've been on. As said above both are different types of vacations and both have their good and not so good points depending on your perspective. Don't skimp on the AI, stay at excellent ones only, if you can manage it. I do believe it's easier for someone from an AI background only to enjoy a cruise. A committed cruiser will most likely not enjoy the AI as much. It doesn't mean cruisers can't or won't enjoy AI's, it just means cruisers are nuts........about cruising :)

will do both every yr. only look for the best deals for quality AI... LOVE THE BEACH so weather i;m cruisin or resort if there is sun i am happy, heading for cruise 8, in march, but we love to go AI at the end of summer. yea. hurricane season... we just book a few days before we leave so we know the weather... i look for deals 5 apple and up... anywhere the sun is ... went to cancun, last wk . in aug loved it, most relaxing vac. ever.... no cruises go there so we defintly will go back... soon. you really get your money worth, food was compareable to cruise food , little better... booze free... not a drinker... when i left am now... strawberry margariti, strawberry pina colada... all day long... ... got to go leavin for flordia... siesta key today... just a week in the sun in the usa.

Do the all-inclusive at least once--he may love it! Especially if it's at a NICE resort, and not some half-rate place!

For me, warm sun, a palm tree and waiters bringing drinks are good things! I don't particularly care if its on a ship or land!

We are going on our third cruise and love them. :) Even convinced other family members to join us in the upcoming one.

Other family wants to try an AI next year.

Any suggestions for the caribbean area? Some activites, beach kinda stuff. We are kinda thinking St Thomas maybe so we could do a day trip over to some of the other islands if wanted. Can't quite decide. :rolleyes: Email if want/need.

Thanks.

Sarah

My DH and I are now hooked on cruising, but next year, we are going to do both an AI and a cruise. It will be our first AI with a group of friends. We are going to the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico. Anyone ever been there? Not sure what to expect, but this group has been doing AI for the last 4 years. We are beach lovers, so I'm sure we'll have a great time. Also doing a group cruise next October, but don't have it booked yet.

Been to Barcelo 2x, B Tucancun, and B La Jolla Mismaloya in Puerto Vallarta, but not to B MBR. Great experiences at both Barcelos. I would check TripAdvisor, read the reviews and you will have many tips on what to do to make your trip as good as you can. Going with a group is great because you can share cabs, etc. If you can visit Tulum (ruins).

My question is; is anyone as hooked on resorts as they are on cruising?:confused: :confused: :confused:

We have only cruised a couple of times and can't imagine a better vacation. Our good friends have done both cruising and an all inclusive and would love us to join them on the later, however my DH doesn't feel he would enjoy the land vacation as much as a cruise.

though I personally love cruising all inclusives can be fun as well. Certainly I would give it a shot. Your DH might be surprised. Just make sure you choose one that has lots of activities available, preferably with tours included or available.

Nita

[quo

Personally, I have yet to go on a cruise, but I have done a few AIs in the Dominican Republic and I can't imagine a better sun holiday than what I have experienced there. I love swimming in the ocean and the beaches in Punta Cana are some of the best in the world.

My DD and I will be going to the Dominican Rep. Any thoughts where to stay for AI? We will be going to visit our sponsored children in Santo Domingo. My DD has sponsored hers since she was 11 yrs. old with her allowance. She is now 23. I looked into cruises from there and thought about flying there and then cruising. Any ideas? Thanx.

A friend of mine recently went on a 4 day AI trip to Jamaica and it rained every day. That would be a huge bummer. The biggest advantage of a cruise ship is that it can avoid storms and seek out the sunny skies!

Good point. I've been on land vacations where it has rained every day for the whole week. Never had more than a day of rain on a cruise, if that.

Personally I enjoy sailing on the "high seas". Laying on a beach every day for a week doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I don't even do that at home and I live only 45mins from the ocean. I WILL give an AI a try someday though.

Jimmers:)

Good point. I've been on land vacations where it has rained every day for the whole week. Never had more than a day of rain on a cruise, if that.

Personally I enjoy sailing on the "high seas". Laying on a beach every day for a week doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I don't even do that at home and I live only 45mins from the ocean. I WILL give an AI a try someday though.

Jimmers:)

Jimmers, let me know when you are travelling, having land vacations where it has rained for the entire week is NOT lucky :D I've been lucky I guess, been to over a dozen AI's in 25 years I have NEVER had rain for an entire week. In Fact the worst I've had is the daily shower around 4-5:00 pm, it lasts for about 10 - 20 minutes and then the sun is out again. :)

[quo

My DD and I will be going to the Dominican Rep. Any thoughts where to stay for AI? We will be going to visit our sponsored children in Santo Domingo. My DD has sponsored hers since she was 11 yrs. old with her allowance. She is now 23. I looked into cruises from there and thought about flying there and then cruising. Any ideas? Thanx.

You are right, Punta Cana has some wonderful beaches, especially Bavaro Beach. The Riu Palace Punta Cana, the Iberostar Bavaro, and for top shelf, the Paradisus Punta Cana are my chioces. The Sunscape Punta Cana is becoming a Dreams resort, which will put it up a notch in the luxury and amenities categories, so it will be a great choice too. One unsung property that I think is a great deal is the Sunscape La Romana. Prices are always better there. You have a longer transfer time to the resort as it is the opposite way from Bavaro beach, but it is fabulous. Water is so calm there, and it is a fun family resort. If you are thinking of going there during school break times, it will be busy, but off season times, it is great and quiet. I have stayed at all of these, but I brought my family to the Ocean Blue last year. I chose this resort as it was one of the few that will take 5 in a room, and we had a group of families going. All juior suites, the largest and cleanest pools I have seen, gorgeous property, but the food was not top shelf. We did not starve, but it could have been better. DH did not like the food, but I love island food and enjoyed it. The premium restaurant on the beach had the best caribbean lobster I have ever had! If you are looking at any particular resort, just ask as I have been to almost all of them in that area :D

You are right, Punta Cana has some wonderful beaches, especially Bavaro Beach. The Riu Palace Punta Cana, the Iberostar Bavaro, and for top shelf, the Paradisus Punta Cana are my chioces. The Sunscape Punta Cana is becoming a Dreams resort, which will put it up a notch in the luxury and amenities categories, so it will be a great choice too. One unsung property that I think is a great deal is the Sunscape La Romana. Prices are always better there. You have a longer transfer time to the resort as it is the opposite way from Bavaro beach, but it is fabulous. Water is so calm there, and it is a fun family resort. If you are thinking of going there during school break times, it will be busy, but off season times, it is great and quiet. I have stayed at all of these, but I brought my family to the Ocean Blue last year. I chose this resort as it was one of the few that will take 5 in a room, and we had a group of families going. All juior suites, the largest and cleanest pools I have seen, gorgeous property, but the food was not top shelf. We did not starve, but it could have been better. DH did not like the food, but I love island food and enjoyed it. The premium restaurant on the beach had the best caribbean lobster I have ever had! If you are looking at any particular resort, just ask as I have been to almost all of them in that area :D

Any AI resorts that have pricing comparable to a cruise? The few times I have searched, the price was well over $200 a night + airfare.

Christine, we stayed at the Paradisus Punta Cana in 2004, had a great time, beautiful place, everything "top shelf". We are heading to the newer property, Paradisus Palma Real, around the end of Feb-early Mar. It looks spectacular and is a heck of a lot closer to Sol Melia's golf course. :D

Any AI resorts that have pricing comparable to a cruise? The few times I have searched, the price was well over $200 a night + airfare.

It depends where you are travelling from and the availability of "package vacations". If you price them out a la carte, it will be expensive. I know for us, out of Toronto, a top notch AI is a lot less money than a cruise when everything is factored in, including the type of cabin we stay in.

Christine will know and be able to help you. You may want to check out a giant of a land vacation website, trip advisor dot com. I think they own this site now.

It depends where you are travelling from and the availability of "package vacations". If you price them out a la carte, it will be expensive. I know for us, out of Toronto, a top notch AI is a lot less money than a cruise when everything is factored in, including the type of cabin we stay in.

Christine will know and be able to help you. You may want to check out a giant of a land vacation website, trip advisor dot com. I think they own this site now.

yes, they do own CC now. As for the cost of AI, the better ones are more expensive than the basic cruise all in all. Even considering the liquor issues. If you choose an off season the prices are quite a bit lower, on the other hand if you go off season cruises are cheaper as well.

I am not discouraging anyone from doing an AI, they can be fun, very luxurious and some have great food (not all, for sure) I have clients that wouldn't do any other kind of vacation, I have more that like cruising.

Nita

It would depend on when you want to go, for how long, and how many there are of you. Any kids? Certain resorts include them for free, it would just be airfare. Air is a big determining factor, especially during holidays and vacation times. It can also matter where you are coming from. Big hubs have direct flights, charters, etc and can be less costly. Certain airports have charter services like Bradley in CT, Humphrey in Minn, etc. We are spoiled here in NJ because we can choose between JFK, LaGuardia, Newark, and Philly. Even Atlantic City can have some great deals on Spirit. Apple Vacations has their own charter airline that they use for their packages and they are now selling to the general public on flights from their cities.

BobBeaSea, good choice, I love golf too and you got some free rounds coming to you. Have you done "teeth of the dog" yet? WOW!

Archived