vacation insurance

icacmom

We use the trip insurance store.com -- similar to insuremytrip which also compares many policies. You can call them and explain your needs and they suggest several policies that would work for you. Very good customer service as well.

Has any one every had to use their cruise insurance. and who did you use for your insurance.

I would recommend that you not purchase the insurance through the cruise line as many time you can find a more comprehensive policy at a lower cost.

One of the web sites mentioned above will give you options.

The major benefits of the insurance are two fold. Most policies provide trip insurance in the event you have to cancel the cruise due to items such as health. The key is to read the fine print of the policy before you purchase it so you know what and what is not covered.

The other major benefit is medical because many times ones own policy does not cover you if you go out of the country and the other benefit is medical evacuation in the event someone has to be medically evacuated from the sea or medically evacuated from a port to another location. When you are looking at policies you might want to look for a policy where they act as your primary provider during the trip. Why? Because if they act as your primary provider you only have to submit the claim/bills once and to them. If they don't, then you first have to submit to your normal medical insurance company translating to the submission of more paperwork and great time to get reibursed for your expenses.

And most policies include other items such as trip iterruption coverage and a small amount to cover lost or damaged luggage, etc.

But, read what is covered. The lowest price policy is not necessarily the best if it does not cover the key items that you are interested in. Same goes for the highest price policy. The key is to see what is and is not covered and how things work in the event you have to use the policy.

Keith

My mother used hers once. She was on the Marco Polo and had purchased the insurance thru Grand Circle travel.

Her ship had just sailed from Barcelona when they were hit by an enormous wave. My mother lost her balance, fell and broke her leg, collarbone and six ribs, all on the right side. When they got to Rome she was transferrred to a hospital, where she stayed for over a month.

When she was able to travel, the insurance company flew a nurse from the US to Rome. My mother & the nurse flew first class from Rome to Newark. The nurse got a taxi to take them to Englewood Hospital (30 or 45 minute ride) and got my mother checked in. The insurance paid for everything.

Archived