Panama Canal Miami or LA Departure

Jimmers

We are planning a Canal cruise for 09. Other that airfare issues is there any benefit to departing from Miami vs LA? From what I can tell the one from Miami has to navigate thru the canal twice since it returns to Miami whereas the LA one ends in San Juan PR.

Also, we usually get a balcony room but they're $500 pp extra on this cruise which is much higher than we're used to paying. Is this the type of cruise where a balcony is "mandatory" to fully appreciate the cruise?

thanks,

Jimmers:)

Some cruise lines go from Miami or FLL to LA or LA to MIA or FLL

That may be another option rather than ending in San Juan.

A balcony is nice if you want to sit watch the side of the canal

I would get an aft cabin or just go up on deck to watch the trip through the canal...it is a personal preference

We had an outside cabin (no balcony)but spent the time in the public spaces

It is an all day trip so you have plenty of time to walk around and view the transit from different locations on the ship.

We had an outside cabin (no balcony)but spent the time in the public spaces

It is an all day trip so you have plenty of time to walk around and view the transit from different locations on the ship.

That's what I was thinking. I'd like to have a balcony but at $500pp I think we can see the views from on deck.

Thanks

Jimmers

Without knowing the specific itinerary/ship details, the one out of Miami sounds like a partial transit if it ends in Miami as well. Which means that you will only go through the Gatun Locks; anchor in Gatun Lake for a while, giving people who are going ashore on ship-sponsored excursions a chance to be tendered; and then go back out the Gatun Locks to dock at Cristobal to pick up the passengers who went ashore on tenders. If that is the case, you will not be transiting the full Canal.

Since the LA departure ends in San Juan, that should be a full transit.

Check out the details of both itineraries. Which one you want will depend on whether you want to transit the length of the canal.

Without knowing the specific itinerary/ship details, the one out of Miami sounds like a partial transit if it ends in Miami as well.

The Miami-Miami cruise docks at Puerto Limon, Costa Rica which as far as I can tell is on the Pacific side. Am I wrong?

Jimmers

The Miami-Miami cruise docks at Puerto Limon, Costa Rica which as far as I can tell is on the Pacific side. Am I wrong?

Jimmers

This would likely be a partial transit, in which the ship would traverse the Gatun locks, anchor in Gatun Lake for a while to let off passengers participating in ship excursions (no other passengers may get off the ship here), and then head back out through the locks to Colon or some other nearby port to pick up the passengers.

This was the first trip we made to the canal, which only made us more interested in doing a complete transit. Our first cruise was on Brilliance of the Seas, and we did the full west to east transit on Infinity last fall. Both times, we watched the transit from our balcony -- aft on Brilliance, port side on Infinity -- but there were many passengers out on deck.

My husband and I want to take this cruise, any suggestions on best time of year to go, least expensive time to go and what ship? We live in Florida so I know they have a RT out of Ft.L:aud, I belive , however it sound slike maybe that is not a good choice as it is ONLY a partial transit, what does that mean anyhow?

My husband and I want to take this cruise, any suggestions on best time of year to go, least expensive time to go and what ship? We live in Florida so I know they have a RT out of Ft.L:aud, I belive , however it sound slike maybe that is not a good choice as it is ONLY a partial transit, what does that mean anyhow?

I think January & Feb are good months ...it is still hot but maybe not as humid as other months.

A partial transit you go through one set of locks and anchor in the lake then return out the same locks.

I would do a full transit if you have the time.

Lyn

Princess (also has a partial from California, I think it is a 19 day R/T) and RCI offer the most partial transits of the canal. This normally is a cruise that departs Florida and visits other Caribbean destinations along the way to the Panama Canal. Once at the canal the ship will lock through Gatun Locks to Gatun Lake. Passengers who have booked tours through ship will be tendered off to meet their tours. Your ship will then lock back down Gatun Locks and proceed to Cristobal piers and tie up. This is where you can do a little shopping and the passengers who are on tours will rejoin the ship.

Many cruise lines offer repositioning cruises that are complete transits. These usually occur in April/May for west bound cruises and Oct/Nov for east bound cruises.

To get the real feel of the canal, a complete transit is probably better. On a complete transit you probably would not want to get off the ship to see Panama because you would miss the transiting of the canal. This is where the partial transit gives you the opportunity to see some of Panama. One option to help you see more of the canal if you select a partial transit, is a tour that is called "Canal by Ferry or something close to that. After you go through Gatun Locks you tender off the ship where you are driven to Gamboa to take the ferry through Gaillard Cut and the other two locks on the Pacific side. This will give you a very good overview of the complete Canal, as well as let you see some of Panama. The only portion of the Canal you will miss is the 20 miles of Gatun Lake from Gatun to Gamboa. They are both great cruises in any event, each one has some distinct advantages.

Earlier this year we did a 10 day on the Brilliance and we have booked an 11 day to the canal on her as well in 2008.

BB

I would recommend a full transit over a partial (if you really want to appreciate the full scope of the canal). I do know that the Island Princess is doing a series of full transits this winter. We are on it on 12/4/07 from San Juan to Acapulco (11 days). The pricing on that cruise is very good, because it falls between Thanksgiving and Christmas (which tends to be the least expensive time to cruise). The Island Princess is a great ship (as is it's sister ship the Coral Princess, which is doing partial transits this winter).

If you do the canal, make sure to read "The Path Between the Seas".

Princess (also has a partial from California, I think it is a 19 day R/T) and RCI offer the most partial transits of the canal. This normally is a cruise that departs Florida and visits other Caribbean destinations along the way to the Panama Canal. Once at the canal the ship will lock through Gatun Locks to Gatun Lake. Passengers who have booked tours through ship will be tendered off to meet their tours. Your ship will then lock back down Gatun Locks and proceed to Cristobal piers and tie up. This is where you can do a little shopping and the passengers who are on tours will rejoin the ship.

BB

I don't think that the Princess 19 day R/T goes through the Gatun (Caribbean) Locks. I think that it goes through the MiraFlores and Pedro Miguel Locks (Pacific), transits the Culebra Cut, anchors in Gatun Lake, then goes back across the Culebra Cut and back out the Pacific locks. Perhaps someone that was on the 9/20/07 19 day Island Princess R/T could clarify this for us.

I've tried looking at Princess's web site but I could never figure out how far through the canal they went or where they turned around.

Everything I had seen on this was unclear. I did post a question on this on the 9/20/07 Island Princess rollcall, since theirs was a 19 day R/T from LA.

I don't think that the Princess 19 day R/T goes through the Gatun (Caribbean) Locks. I think that it goes through the MiraFlores and Pedro Miguel Locks (Pacific), transits the Culebra Cut, anchors in Gatun Lake, then goes back across the Culebra Cut and back out the Pacific locks. Perhaps someone that was on the 9/20/07 19 day Island Princess R/T could clarify this for us.

Here is the response from someone that was on the 9/20/07 19 day R/T from LA.

We sailed into Gatun Lake, turned around there and came back through the last locks at dusk.

It looks like they don't sail through the Gatun Locks

We were looking at the 19 days Pacific Panama Canal cruise on the Island Princess on April 19, 2008. I had the TA phone Princess Cruise lines and we were told that we would not go through the Gatun Locks. Since we wanted to go through all the locks we decided to go instead with NCL Pearl on the repositioning cruise on April13, 2008 from Miami to Seattle.

We were looking at the 19 days Pacific Panama Canal cruise on the Island Princess on April 19, 2008. I had the TA phone Princess Cruise lines and we were told that we would not go through the Gatun Locks. Since we wanted to go through all the locks we decided to go instead with NCL Pearl on the repositioning cruise on April13, 2008 from Miami to Seattle.

Having done 2 full transits (with a third scheduled for December) I wouldn't get too upset with missing the Gatun Locks. The 19 day R/T from LA seems to cover the entire length of the canal. It enters on the Pacific side and sails all the way to the Caribbean side. It just doesn't go through the locks into the Caribbean. Instead it goes through the Miraflores and Pedro Miguel locks twice. The reason I prefer full to partial transits is that the partials are usually from Florida, and those don't sail all through the entire canal. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the LA R/T. If I had the 19 days to spare, I think that that cruise would be great. I'd consider it to be comparable to a full transit.

Archived