ships in port?

scher

You may not want to research this--I just did for our Jan cruise & it is ridiculous. I know the counts can & will change but we face the following potential crowds on our Jewel of the Seas cruise in Jan:

San Juan== 4 ships, pax 10,609 (plus any crew with time off) -- Hopefully the one small ship that arrives early will be gone so we will only compete with the folks from Carnival Freedom (101,00 tons) & Carnival Triumph(101,509-)-Maybe we can all get together for a drink in charming OSJ...

St Thomas 5 ships, pax 16,395 3 really big ships , 138,00 tons etc)& 2 regular big ships.. If we can't get res at the restaurant we want maybe we will stay on board--either way it may not be easy getting back to the ship on time

St maarten 3 ships, 8575 pax--may see more people than fish when we snorkel!

Tortola Only 3 ships--one is 116,00 tons & 3000 plus pax--hey we will practically have the island to ourselves!

Nassau 6 ships. 13,,,, 659 pax...

We have been to all these ports so we know our way around but this is just starting to be too many poeple in one port on any given day!

You may not want to research this--I just did for our Jan cruise & it is ridiculous. I know the counts can & will change but we face the following potential crowds on our Jewel of the Seas cruise in Jan:

San Juan== 4 ships, pax 10,609 (plus any crew with time off) -- Hopefully the one small ship that arrives early will be gone so we will only compete with the folks from Carnival Freedom (101,00 tons) & Carnival Triumph(101,509-)-Maybe we can all get together for a drink in charming OSJ...

St Thomas 5 ships, pax 16,395 3 really big ships , 138,00 tons etc)& 2 regular big ships.. If we can't get res at the restaurant we want maybe we will stay on board--either way it may not be easy getting back to the ship on time

St maarten 3 ships, 8575 pax--may see more people than fish when we snorkel!

Tortola Only 3 ships--one is 116,00 tons & 3000 plus pax--hey we will practically have the island to ourselves!

Nassau 6 ships. 13,,,, 659 pax...

We have been to all these ports so we know our way around but this is just starting to be too many poeple in one port on any given day!

How do you know how many people are on each ship?

How do you know how many people are on each ship?

Ships' capacities are public knowledge. You can find this information published in many many places, starting with the cruiselines' websites. You can even look on the main pages of Cruise Critic! ;)

The numbers are the capacities of each ship when full)can find that on each lines listings about it's ships) --not all will be that full but with several big beasts in any port--you can be sure it will be crowded.

We were in Gr Cayman twice last yr- first time it was awfully congested like Times Square on new yrs...the next trip it was lovely--lots of space & sunshine...just the luck of the draw on how many will be there on any given day!

Not sure if Cozumel has full dock capacity due to storms-- When we were there in Jan, Explorer got our berth at the way out dock, the main dock was not yet fixed & we were to tender (altho' we expected to be docked) --just decided to stay on board...

hcat, you make the point so well that stops me from taking any more Caribbean trips. With bigger ships with more passengers and fewer ports that can handle those sea-going behemoths, I would rather do a repositioning or Baltic or Mediterranean cruise. Who wants thousands of passengers ashore on an island whose infrastructure can't begin to handle them to share my vacation with. The obvious question for you is, why do you continue to go when there are other alternatives? It is not going to get any better; it will get worse!:)

Archived