Complaint of the Week #23

Philip217

We are just completing a very successful voyage. One of my favorite passengers has sailed with us yet again.

Last night at dinner he told me a long story about how he believes that all the cruise lines are losing their identities and becoming too much like each other. He was very disappointed about it. I started to tell him how much I agree with him on that issue. But before I could finish, he listed several features and amenities offered by the other cruise lines (and not by mine). He was quite insistent that I contact my Head Office ASAP and arrange to offer exactly the same features and amenities on my ship that all the others do ....................................................

You're kidding right?!?!:eek: I agree that the cruise ships are more like than different:eek: , and that they are playing the "keep up with the Jones'" game......but why :confused: take away the differences? I would think just saying well I love this line because of these things but I also like xyz line because of this...it might be nice if you offered something akin to this....BUT NOT THE EXACT SAME THING!As ships get larger they tend to miss out on some of the things that make cruising unlike any type of vacation....the smaller ports (I had a conversation with a pvp Friday and we were talking about the San Blas Islands that I had visited on Dolphin) and the exemplary service (the service is still wonderful but sometimes it is a crapshoot).......but thats why there are different ships and different lines so that what is important to one can be accessed on this line and what is important to that person could be accessed going on that line.

I apologize that this rant goes on and on; this thread is usually funny but

this is just a pet peeve of mine..... I like choice......one who looks for perfection in a vacation... Should stay at home! because that aint gonna happen...instead of trying to create a version of perfection...

JUST GO WITH THE FLOW!!!!

I'll get off my soapbox now:D

Andy

We ran into the exact same thing with a couple that we happened to dine with on a cruise this past summer- all they could do was complain about what the other lines offered and the one they were on didn't. So I asked why they were sailing with us instead of another..."Oh, this is a much nicer ship with better service and food." Guess they weren't listening to themselves.

Phillip - I feel that I owe you an apology for coming unglued over last week's complain - yes, I did assume and assumed wrong, as is often the case. Mea culpa!

Charlie

This reminds me of the complaint John got last week because the Vatican wasn't in Milan!!! (I think it was Milan....anyway, the guy was complaining because the Vatican was not at another port that was not Rome.) :eek:

I can't believe they are all for the most part white; have pools & serve dinner. I have only been on a couple but I'm sure others have buffets as well.

Next thing your going to tell me; other ships do ice & fruit carving. Hey I just enjoy the complimentary bottle of JD & Champagne & in-room massages which I am sure are found on all ships! :rolleyes:

IMHO, one of the reasons, and a big part of the reason, we cruise on different lines is for the differences in each and everyone of them. But he's right, most of the lines are aping each other...and that is sad, very sad. With the changes that have been made over the last couple of years or so, we have canceled three cruises because they are following the pack....if I wanted that I would have booked with the pack to begin with. It won't be long that they will all be alike.

For a lot of folks, change is not an easy thing. But I've noticed many of the changes are not for the betterment of the guest, rather for the bottomline.

Archived