Aerial Tram in the Rain Forest

Cosmic Rays

Anybody been on the Aerial Tramway Colin:) :)
what is this tramway?:eek:

Possibly is this a little bit of info06.gif

Click here http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/article.cfm?ID=103 and scroll down to Dominica Rain Forest Aerial Tram.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

You are most welcome! 05.gif

I have merged your inquiries.

082502btw_prv.gif, have you had a chance to use the Search this Forum feature on the first page of this forum06.gif At this time there are 43 threads, including yours, containing one or both of the key words aerial tram in the title or body.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and lots of 080402gudl_prv.gif on your quest for more information!!

Glad to be of service,

Kat 050103cat_prv.gif

• 2 months later...

We did the aerial tram in Dominica and were not too impressed - possibly because of two reasons. In order to see wildlife, you need to do the early excursion (morning) versus the later one. We took the after lunch tram and saw no birds, monkeys, or anything. I think they were all sleeping. Secondly, part of the tram ride can let you off at a waiting station so you can hike through part of the rainforest. One of our group was not up to this, se we stayed on the tram but I think that cuts out a lot of the true feeling of the rain forest. Staying on the tram, you see lots of vegetation, natural rivers and such; but, not much else. It was also quite expensive when booked through the ship. Just our opinion, you might love it - but go out on the early trip.

• 7 months later...

The tram is like a ski lift, except it has tram cars instead of ski lift seats. If you have trouble walking, then you need to be sure they will drop you off at the base of the tram, where you would have some steps. When I went with my 85 year old mother, we had to walk uphill on a trail to get to the base, which was much more strenuous than a few steps. When we got off, the buses were right there to be boarded. I really don't remember the details - perhaps someone will be able to provide them.

We booked through the cruise line, but we met folks who had not. Actually, for someone who has some mobility issues, this is a great excursion in Dominica. At the waiting station I got off and hiked downhill to meet the tram. Needless to say, my mom stayed on the tram. If someone in your group is not "up to it", it is perfectly reasonable for those who are to take the short hike.

As I recall, this is really not a "wheelchair accessible" excursion. However, it is really a minimal effort outing. Be sure to take rain ponchos.

• 1 month later...

I have heard that the tram ride through the rainforest is great and not to be missed. Having never been to Dominica, I'm looking for some input. I don't see any private tours there, only through the ship. Is it worth the expense and time? Thanks!

I have heard that the tram ride through the rainforest is great and not to be missed. Having never been to Dominica, I'm looking for some input. I don't see any private tours there, only through the ship. Is it worth the expense and time? Thanks!

The tram is a wonderful experience, since you have never been there I would recommend you try and see some of the waterfalls also. I do not know what your boat is offering, but you just should not go to Dominica without seeing some of the falls.

Check the guides on this website for trying to set up a private/special schedule.

http://dhta.org/memberlist.cfm - go to near the bottom for tour operators.

• 4 weeks later...

We did the Aerial Tram tour through our ship earlier this year. Our stop was so short that we really did not want to chance doing it independently. It is about a 30-minute drive from the port. Below is a link to our trip journal entry for that day.

http://circle-south-america-2008-aboard.blogspot.com/2008/03/day-57-february-29-2008-roseau-dominica.html

• 1 month later...
Thanks for your input. I have contacted the tour operators you've suggested - will await a response. Any other comments are appreciated. Thanks!:)

We are docking in Roseau on Feb 17th and thinking about thr Aerial Tram. Did you go? Who with? Our cruise line (Celebrity charges $119 for the tour and $135 if we include Traglger Falls. Thanks

The first time we visited Dominica, we did the Aerial Tram ride booked through our cruise ship and it was awesome! Amazing views of the rainforest! I would highly recommend it.

This time around, we did a tour called Ti Tou Gorge and Hot Springs through the ship and it was also amazing...I would recommend that one as well. You can read about that one on my blog: http://poolieandloolie.blogspot.com (scroll to the Dominica post)

We were just there before Christmas and we booked a private tour with Reyno Tours. By doing so we were able to add the tram as a stop on the tour and we just paid for the tram when we got there. We paid $250 total and there were 5 of us in our group, so for $50 each we decided to go this route. The tram is in roughly $70 US at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Want to do the ariel tram when we are here in may. Has anyone done it? Is worth while? I wanted to book it now through carnival but for some reason they arn't offering it online. I called them and they said I would have to wait until I get on board to book it. Should I wait and book it when I get on board or book the one in St. Lucia now and forget about the one in Dominica. I have other things to do in St. Lucia and this is the only excursion I found to be interesting in Dominica. So I think i would rather do it here than in St Lucia,but if I wait until I get in board to book it might be sold out and I would have to try to go for St Lucia and it might also be sold out. Play it safe and book St Lucia ariel tram now or wait until we are on board and go for Dominica? Need thoughts on both places and which one is better.

My group of four, ages 51-71, took the Dominica aerial tram on Feb. 5, 2009. We all really liked it, even my uncle who couldn't do the hike to the suspension bridge. It's not a strenuous hike, just a bit uneven for someone with a bad back. You don't see much wildlife-- we glimpsed a bird or two and a real cute agouti, but the vegetation defies description. It is the forest primeval. Lush, lush, lush. The views from the suspension bridge are breathtaking. My husband took around a hundred pics; thank goodness for digital.

We all really like Dominica. Last time we did the river tubing and had a blast. This time, after the aerial tram, we walked all around town trying to find the botanical garden. When we finally stopped someone to ask its location, she pointed to the gates across the street-- we were right in front of it. Very nice people.

Just a side note, do look over the side on walkway from the pier into town. Near the end, there are lots of silvery blue pipefish. It's a nifty sight that most never bother to see.

My family of 5 did the Dominica Ariel Tram Feb 3, 2009 on our own. The cost was $64.00 US per person for the tram ride, $5.00 US each for rain poncos and $120.00 US for the cab to take us there. We were told we would see a waterfall too but the cab driver took us straight back to the port - it wasn't worth arguing.

In our opinion it was very over priced for what it was. We did not see much wildlife - the odd bird flew by. Mainly it's trees and plants.

If you still think you'd like to do it the cost off the ship ($99.00) is the way to go; less hassle and you'll probably get a tour there and back.

We booked a ship tour to the aerial tram, worth the extra money to have the bus take you to and from the ride with a tour of the island.

Some photos -

Gondola up ahead taken with a 500 mm equivalent digital lens

2701529420096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

The suspension bridge

2315950790096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Empty gondola passing overhead

2425937040096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Up and down gondolas, taken from the suspension bridge.

2938487280096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Another waterfall

2651066810096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Crossing the suspension bridge

2869072640096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived