Voyager Oct 27 Western Med.

DebbieH103

I am leaving on Thursday for Rome, going by myself as I think I have posted. I believe somewhere down, I posted the shore excursions I am doing in detail but will give a little info.

Flying on BA from Houston IAH. Gatwick to Rome, strike today in Italy so I am worried, but my husband goes to Milan all the time and says the strikes usually are 1 to 2 days. Staying at The Hassler. Will sightsee some FIT but not anxious to start the trip worn out or miss much of that pricey room (Europe is high for us statesiders).

Cruise goes Rome to Monte Carlo, and I am spending the night in Nice since my flight the next day is at 8:55 a.m. I hired an English-speaking private driver because I heard I should see Eze and want to see if he will go that way.

I booked 3 shore excursions so far - Wine Tasting at Maionchi Vineyard & Villa in Lucca from the Livorno port, Overland Porto-Ajaccio, and Gastronomical Experience in Can Marques. Anyone done any of these? I thought I'd see some countryside and try some wines vs. so many walking tours

I did not plan anything yet in Marseilles, Ibiza or Monte Carlo yet. Should I do tours or go on my own?

Most of the days are country club casual, and a couple of them are informal. Though I live on a golf course and belong to a country club, I own warm weather things, so I went on a shopping spree today since it seems to have turned to the 50s and even 40s in most of these ports.

The air traffic controller strike is no longer listed on BA today, so I am more hopeful.

Any suggestions in Ibiza, Marseilles, or Monaco? We don't get into Monaco until 2. We overnight there, but I am going on to Nice in the a.m. I did not sign up for the Monte Carlo tours, as they all mention changing of the guards. This occurs at 11:55, so obviously that will not be part of the tour. Ibiza has north of the town and south of the town. Merseilles has some options, but most are walking tours.

Also, in Rome, I am staying at Hassler and don't want to miss time at the hotel, but I would like to see the main sites. Is this doable quickly without a guide? Should I trust the trains? I am well-heeled but don't know much Italian.

Monaco is easy to do on your own. When you leave the ship in the harbor walk westerly along the Med, pass a parking garage and watch for signs leading to escalators that take you up to the Oceanographic Institute, cathedral and palace. There are some nice gardens along the way.

Princess Grace is buried at the cathedral - her tomb is near the end of the tombs as you pass by on a line that goes behind the altar.

Eze is nice but we like St. Paul de Vence better, especially if you can get there before the crowds arrive.

Marseilles has an interesting harbor and fish market but most people head for Provence.

Rick Steves' guide book for that area would be very helpful.

Have a wonderfuil cruise!

Thanks for the ideas. I am going out in a bit for some last minute things and maybe I can find that guide book.

The two Ibiza tours do not go to the beaches, and in fact one complaint I know of this itinerary is that none of the days or tours go to any beaches, but it will be 50F anyway everywhere but Ibiza.

Maybe I will look at the Provence tour, but I think it is long, and I was avoiding the ones with lots of walking. Somehow, I am envisioning Rome and the Spanish Steps and starting the trip with sore calves!

I'm also going on this cruise solo. I'm leaving Seattle tomorrow for Rome, staying at the Bernini Bristol. I booked a couple of Rome tours, didn't want to miss the Vatican. I'm also booked on the Wine Tasting at Maionchi so hope to meet you. I'll be on the ship until it reaches Fort Lauderdale. It's my first time on a crossing so I'm excited. Hope to see you.

Jeanne

I agree about the old town of Ibiza, very pretty, although it was a long time ago I was there, much more touristy now I expect.

Personal preference, but I'd spend my time in Nice instead of Monte Carlo, since you're staying there the night anyways. The old town, with the flower market, etc. is nice.

Debbie,

Are you only 1 night in Rome? If so, it might be difficult to see much without a guide. If I only had one day in Rome and had never bee there before I would head for St. Peters. After seeing St Peters I would walk to Vatican museums. Contrary to conventional wisdom the best time to get there is around 1 PM ( lunch time). In the evening I would walk around Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Spanish steps area. If you want a casual and pretty good restaurant I recommend Otello alla Concordia, in Via della Croce ( near Piazza di Spagna).

Grandmab,

There is a group ( myself included) that posts in CC that will be boarding Voyager for the Grand crossing on 11/3 and stay thru Ft. Lauderdale. Maybe we'll meet.

I am staying at The Hassler at the top of the Spanish Steps, and I don't care really to see all of Rome because my husband goes to Italy a lot, and I surely could get back to Rome at some point if I chose to join him and tour Italy a bit. I want to make sure I enjoy the hotel since I picked it for location. I would like to see the coluseum but only from the distance and am more interested in soaking up local culture and things. I may get a guide once I get there depending on how I feel.

Jeanne, I am sure we will meet on that tour and can chat then. I am really looking forward to that tour as a highlight. I'm a 46 year old with ash blonde hair - short but not really sort, slightly overweight, medium height.

I am spending time in Nice. The ship overnights in Monte Carlo, but we get in at 2, so when the morning comes, my ride to La Perouse will be waiting, and I plan to just see Nice. I think I can see a few things in Monte Carlo in the afternoon. It sounds like you can do your own tour on foot.

Is Otello alla Concordia open at lunch? I want to do something casual at lunch and want to find some gelato.

I probably should have stayed 2 nights on each side or 3 nights on one side, but I did not really want to be gone over 10 days.

Debbie,

We will also be on the Voyager cruise. We're doing the Pisa excursion, having been to Florence before. At Marseilles, we're going on the Avignon tour. We were in Nice last year (prior to Navigator Nice/Barcelona/Madeira trip) and really enjoyed it -- very walkable and friendly. Monte Carlo/Eze/Nice are relatively easy to navigate on foot once you're there. The train station at Monte Carlo is convenient and going southwest takes you to Eze and Nice and beyond. Having a driver is a plus.

The rest of the ports will be "get off and walk" for us, except we have special plans in Ibiza.

From the Hassler, you can walk down the Piazza Di Spagna (Spanish Steps) and walk the Via Condotti toward the river (Tiber) make your way to Via Ripetta and see if you can find the Porto Di Ripetta Restaurant for lunch. The best Italian seafood ever! Your concierge should know the way.

The Vatican museum beats everything for sheer indulgence in history and art. St. Peter's of course is must if not done before. The Trevi fountain is walkable from the Steps

We'll be in Rome by Friday also. Hope to make your acquaintance on board Voyager!

Where are you in Houston area? We've played Quail Ridge near Missouri City with my brother a few years ago.

Bon Voyage.

Elaine and John

We live on Willow Creek golf course on the county line by The Woodlands.

I decided to do the Lucca tour because it seemed more interesting. I picked the shorter wine and food things, as I want some time to do my own thing or enjoy the ship or stroll locally.

The only negatives I have read about Hassler are about the concierge staff being snotty, so we will see if I get anything out of them. I'm having trouble getting the hotel to respond to email, as well.

DebbieH103.

Just a word about Marseilles if you choose to tour on your own. The ship docks at a new facility some way out of Marseilles and a shuttle bus runs into the old port area. So far, so good. The returns, however are erratic to say the least. The French drivers disappear for long breaks and, whilst you may be lucky and get a return when you are ready, we had to wait a long, long time. It would be wise to get someone at the docking facility to write down for you the precise address where Voyager docks. Then, if you take a taxi, you will know where to tell the driver to go. Otherwise you will get a gallic shrug!

If you do tour on your own, there is a little "train" which is narrated in English (and other languages) and does an interesting trip around the old town calling at a "must see" stop high in the hills overlooking the whole bay, the Chateau d'If and the roofs of the City. It is the Notre Dame Cathedral and well worth a few hours browsing. There are clean toilets (or Rest Rooms as you Americans prefer to say) and a cafeteria. It is a good photo stop.

Archived