Navigator Penthouse A Question

Flagship1

We have just booked Penthouse A #1104 stateroom on the Navigator for an 11 night Carribean cruise (2/25/08) and wanted to see if any other CruiseCritic member is familiar with the Penthouse A staterooms on Navigator.

My specific question/concern is that the Penthouse A staterooms are located directly beneath the Gym/Spa area. I am hoping that there is adequate insulation and/or the Gym operating hours are not too early for us late risers :)

We are hoping that by booking forward we can avoid any of the vibration issues I have read about on CruiseCritic, while DW likes to be up as high as possible for the views and to avoid heavy footed neighbors.:eek:

This will be our first cruise on Navigator and realize that the dining options are not as varied as Mariner and Voyager but we are looking forward to the intimacy of a "small" ship. Thanks!

Personally, I would not waste the money for a penthouse suite on the Navigator. The stateroom is the same as the other balcony staterooms, so you're paying a lot of extra money just for a butler. The best staterooms aboard Navigator IMHO are on decks 6 and 7 just forward of the atrium. They're good in rough seas and there is no vibration.

I agree -- not really worth the extra money on the Navigator. Also, the Navigator, being a smaller ship, tends to rock and roll with the seas just a bit more than other Regent ships. The higher you are, the more you can feel it. We were a bit forward on deck 8 -- no noise from above -- no vibration. It is a great ship -- we loved it.

I agree -- not really worth the extra money on the Navigator. Also, the Navigator, being a smaller ship, tends to rock and roll with the seas just a bit more than other Regent ships. The higher you are, the more you can feel it. We were a bit forward on deck 8 -- no noise from above -- no vibration. It is a great ship -- we loved it.

Worth the extra money?? Well that depends on the person. AS far as the noise, I would not worry about that, you should not have any problems. There are no vibration issues on the navigator. Way up near the bow can be an interesting ride in rough weather, but the Navigator is one of my favorite ships, you are gonna love it!!:D

There are no vibration issues on the navigator.
Huh? There is a serious vibration problem in the stern of the Navigator. Actually it's more like feeling as if you banged into a 50 ton whale and then rode over it.

I haven't stayed in one of those cabins, but last time I was on Navigator (which was about 3 years ago) the treadmills all had signs saying do not use until 8:00 am because it bothers the people underneath. Not sure if the problem's been fixed since then, but I'd surmise from that that there's a problem.

Huh? There is a serious vibration problem in the stern of the Navigator. Actually it's more like feeling as if you banged into a 50 ton whale and then rode over it.

Well that must be something new because I have not experienced it. Last time on the Navigator, we had no such issues, but addmittedly, that was 2 years ago. Looks like we may be on the Navigator again in January, so I'll pay attention & report back then.:confused:

We were just on the Navigator in September at were upgraded to a Penthouse A suite. I agree, I would not have paid full price for the suite, but for $150 upgrade, we liked being on the higher deck. The butler was unnecessary, although there were other nice touches, like the iPod.

We heard no noise from above, although we were not below the gym but part of the spa. I think the same is probalby true for 1104, although it is hard to tell. The gym was relocated from past years, to avoid the issue of noise to rooms below. I think it now opens at 7:00.

As for vibration, I felt it more throughout the ship than the last time I was on the Navigator. However, it was intermittent and at the front of the ship not very noticeable.

The Navigator also has vibration problems, but, are different from the Voyager. Not sure if it occurs due to speed or condition of the sea -- sometimes it is quite strong -- other times (during our cruise) it was minimal. To be on the safe side, we chose a a suite as much mid-ship(837) as possible -- there was no detectable vibration in our suite -- fairly calm seas (Western Carribean).

We were on the Navigator this past Dec-Jan and in the gym (newly located to where the Observation Lounge was before) there was definitely a sign on the treadmills not to use them before 8 AM due to potential disturbance of those in rooms below.

NJBelle

To the OP: why not downgrade to a Penthouse B on deck 10? It's less expensive, is the EXACT same cabin, just one deck lower. I believe all you would have above and below you are more cabins...no gym facility noise to worry about. We had suite 1018 on our May 2007 cruise and it was one of the quietest suites we've ever had.

It was wonderful to be mere steps away from the pool area, too. It was great for our Med cruise, and I think it would be ideal for your Caribbean itinerary.

Oh, and we experienced zero vibration on our cruise. Like others have said, I think it depends on the conditions of the sea, and where you are at on the ship.

Regardless, do enjoy your cruise - we loved the Navigator and would sail her again in an instant!

Well that must be something new because I have not experienced it. Last time on the Navigator, we had no such issues, but addmittedly, that was 2 years ago. Looks like we may be on the Navigator again in January, so I'll pay attention & report back then.:confused:

I was on the Navigator in January 2006. Did you ever go to Gallileos while the ship was moving? If so then you couldn't have missed it since it really felt like running over a whale. It's not a vibration like we think (slight movement constantly) but rather an intermittent bump like I've described. If you were just about to fall asleep and the ship did that "bump" it would wake you up...or at least it would jolt me awake! It's worse when the ship is cruising at full speed, which is usually at night.

When we were on Navigator, some of the staff joked with us about tv sets flying off the shelf. Those staterooms in the rear, if available, are used as auxilliary crew quarters. That should give you a clue. The vibration in our suite was brutal.:(

I love the Navigator, but would never book a cabin in the aft section. Vibration seems to be at the aft end. I like to be central and low, as I am sea-sick prone. Navigator cabins, however, are the best!

Archived