Ft. Lauderdale lodging question

dukemha

First time poster - and first time cruiser - here. My spouse and I are scheduled to depart Ft. Lauderdale for the Eastern Caribbean on the Jewel of the Seas Jan. 12. We are planning to arrive in Ft. L. the day before. My question is, where exactly is the port and what decent, reasonably priced hotel/motel is convenient to departure so we don't have to travel very far the day we leave.

Thanks to all you seasoned cruisers for your suggestions and tips! I've learned a tremendous amount just from reading these boards over the past several months. I feel as though you all have helped to de-mystify the experience and I can't wait for our ship to sail in January.

The port is on 17th st. The hotels near the airport are probably better prices if you want something cheap, and the airport isn't far from the pier either. We stayed at the Best Western in Oakland Park, and it was less than $100. the last week in December. Then took TJ's Shuttle for $7. each to the pier. The area around the hotel was very nice, and near the beach, shopping, and dining.

Enjoy your first cruise!

KT

First time poster - and first time cruiser - here. My spouse and I are scheduled to depart Ft. Lauderdale for the Eastern Caribbean on the Jewel of the Seas Jan. 12. We are planning to arrive in Ft. L. the day before. My question is, where exactly is the port and what decent, reasonably priced hotel/motel is convenient to departure so we don't have to travel very far the day we leave.

Thanks to all you seasoned cruisers for your suggestions and tips! I've learned a tremendous amount just from reading these boards over the past several months. I feel as though you all have helped to de-mystify the experience and I can't wait for our ship to sail in January.

The airport in FTL is 5 minutes from the port...you can check http://www.broward.org to find hotels near the port..there are several near the port-Hyatt,Embassy Suites,Renaissance, Best Western,these are a bit more $$,but you should be able to find something..or check out http://www.tripadvisor.com,and put in Fort Lauderdale" under search.These hotels are ranked by customers..you can even request hotels by the airport-just keep looking for hotels by address/place..good luck

Big Al

The airport in FTL is 5 minutes from the port...you can check http://www.broward.org to find hotels near the port..there are several near the port-Hyatt,Embassy Suites,Renaissance, Best Western,these are a bit more $$,but you should be able to find something..or check out http://www.tripadvisor.com,and put in Fort Lauderdale" under search.These hotels are ranked by customers..you can even request hotels by the airport-just keep looking for hotels by address/place..good luck

Big Al

Bequia from the east coast board made this map of Fort Lauderdale and it should help you.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111808212097114498924.00000112e44774bfe948e&om=1&t=k&ll=26.080375,-80.130672&spn=0.073083,0.1157&z=13

That being said, I am staying at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th street the night before my cruise. It was $200 but included airport transfers and was right on the trolley line.

Mid January, I very much doubt you are going to get a decent hotel under $100, but you might on hotwire or priceline....so give it a try. Thats very close to high season in S. Fl. We went the end of January this year and nothing anyone I know could find was under $100, but then they booked direct, not thru a discount site. Id check out hotwire, just dont book the Ramada, its show as a 2 1/2 star, so avoid it, its awful.

The Port is on the extension of US 595. It is south Ft Lauderdale near the airport.

There is a lot of hotels on and along US I.

At this time of year (January) its hard to get anything really cheap.

You also have to make sure to get reliable shuttle service.

Be aware when you do (or someone for you) does an online search like hotels.com etc. They list hotels which are on 17th Street under a mile yet a hotel which is only 1/2 mile away as 2.4 miles away. The reason is: Port Everglades has no dedicated cruise terminal area. It stretches from SE 17th down south to the Dania Beach border. I wish that search engines would actually go from the main port entrance on Ellers Drive, not some random point.

Here is a link for hotels:

http://www.porteverglades.org/hotels.php

If you click on any map, look for I595 (east-west). The extension is Eller Drive which leads you right to Pier 21 through 28 (Mid Port) which usually is RCI.

Here is a map (think the government can produce better quality):

http://www.broward.org/port/pdfs/maps/map_imagemap.pdf

We found the Sleep Inn near the airport for $150 per night Jan 20th. It includes a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier and breakfast. Not bad IMOH.

The reviews on tripadvisor are decent for a Sleep Inn. I checked out other hotels near the beach and they are either sold out or more than $200 a night (not including transportation or breakfast). Too much for me. I don't mind sleeping in a motel for a night if it means I get to the ship on time!

Comfort Suites Ft Lauderdale Airport and Port Everglades is an excellent choice. If you book online you can get a Queen Suite for around $161.00 which includes transportation from the airport and to the cruise port. The rate also includes an elaborate continental style breakfast buffet. Our recommendation for local dining is the Southport Raw Bar. It's casual but nice and serves great seafood. It's only 4 or 5 blocks from the hotel. Find it at www.southportrawbar.com . Bon Voyage!

We stayed at the Embassy Suites a couple of springs ago. Nice hotel. I liked the free Manager's reception and the free breakfast. We also had free transportation due to a mistake they made at the hotel. The hotel accidently sent our van taxi away so they had someone take us to the port.

Another vote for Embassy Suites. If you factor in the happy

hour at night and then the full made to order breakfast they

serve in the morning, it's a great deal. Also, the hotel is across

the street from a grocery store and liquor store if you need anything.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites a couple of springs ago. Nice hotel. I liked the free Manager's reception and the free breakfast. We also had free transportation due to a mistake they made at the hotel. The hotel accidently sent our van taxi away so they had someone take us to the port.

I will be staying at the Embassy Suites in March. What do they offer at the Manager's reception. Also, what types of foods are available for breakfast? How close are they to Port Everglades?

Last year we stayed at Extended Stay America on 17th street. It was about a $12 cab ride from airport and another $12 to the port. Good dining across the street. We are staying there again on Dec 1. It was clean, safe, and fine for 1 night. I booked through the hotel itself for about $90.

I will be staying at the Embassy Suites in March. What do they offer at the Manager's reception. Also, what types of foods are available for breakfast? How close are they to Port Everglades?

breakfat is free, cooked to orer so they have almost anything you could want...as for the mgrs reception, they should have beer and wine (maybe cocktails) and probably some finger foods.....

http://embassysuites.hilton.com/en/es/promotions/breakfast/

http://embassysuites.hilton.com/en/es/promotions/manager/

Sleepless,

I'm wondering what kind of price you found for the Embassy Suites in March? We've stayed there before and really enjoyed it, but the lowest rate I've found was $310 a nite. For the short time we'll be there I'm not sure it's worth it. We're also sailing in March.

What parameters did you use to get the Renaissance? We stayed there a couple of years ago and it was great.

Bid 4 star downtown zone, it's the only 4* hotel in that zone on PL.

//////////////////

We found the Sleep Inn near the airport for $150 per night Jan 20th. It includes a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier and breakfast. Not bad IMOH.

The reviews on tripadvisor are decent for a Sleep Inn. I checked out other hotels near the beach and they are either sold out or more than $200 a night (not including transportation or breakfast). Too much for me. I don't mind sleeping in a motel for a night if it means I get to the ship on time!

I am staying at Sleep Inn next Friday. I am paying only $77 plus tax. If you 55+ you get a lower rate. If you over 60 you get a better rate.

Robb

Archived