Sky Suites Vs. RCI JS

cb at sea

I'm thinking of trying Celebrity--simply because I'm no longer enamoured of RCI's food! Last cruise, it was like eating at Applebee's or Chilis! Not my idea of a great meal! I'm hoping Celebrity is a step above!

Are the Sky suites comparable to the Junior Suites on the RCI ships? I notice they have them pretty well scattered throughout the ships (looking at all deck plans!) but there aren't many of them!

Any comments appreciated!!!!

I think it may depend on which ship you are comparing cabin to cabin on! For example--SS's on Mercury have huge balconies on deck 12 as opposed to deck 10. SS's on M class ships are about the same size (as Mercury) but have MUCH smaller balconies. Of course, all Celebrity SS's have great butler service included!:D

We had a Sky Suite on our Celebrity TA and have frequently booked JS on Royal Caribbean, especially in Radiance class ships which are similar in size to Constellation, Millennium etc. The size of the Sky suite was similar to that of a JS but lacked a walk-in closet that we loved on RCI. In fact there was a limited amount of storage space in the stateroom with fewer of the nooks and crannies that we are used to on RCI ships. We did have butler service and Roderick was available to bring us breakfast in the morning, hors d'ouevres in the afternoon, and perform various tasks had we requested them. The only time I asked something special of him was when I found that the pants of the tux I had rented through the line were about seven inches too long and the vest I had paid for wasn't included in the package delivered to my stateroom. He quickly took the trousers to be altered and returned with the missing vest and, eventually, with pants that fit.:) We were in a handicap accessible cabin so the bathroom was enormous with a roll in-roll out shower but no tub. We did see other sky suites that had a more normal sized bathroom with tub. Our balcony was not especially large in comparison to some we have been in on RCI.

I know you claim that the food has declined on RCI but I am not sure I agree. I certainly did not find, with a few exceptions (waffles in the Celebrity buffet restaurant every morning) that the food was noticeably different or better, and I was disappointed in the menu and price of meals in the alternative restaurant (Oceanliners). The meals were good but only a few items were exceptional. Prime rib on the first evening was excellent, but on two other occasions the beef was far less outstanding.

Onboard lectures were something that I hope RCI will copy (the cruise historian John Maxtone Graham gave a series of interesting talks about the history of cruising, and Richard Underwood, from NASA, showed some fascinating photos taken from outer space.

I would not hesitate to sail with Celebrity again, but I would not rate it significantly higher than RCI.

Since we are Diamond Plus members with RCI, we received recognition as Elite members of Celebrity's Captain's Club. The benefits do not match the ones we receive from Crown and Anchor.:) If you want more details about our Transatlantic cruise, my review is available on Cruise Critic.

Negc, thanks! I was hoping that Celebrity would be a bit more.... well, just more!

We love RCI in every other aspect--it's just that we feel the whole dining experience is an important part of cruising, and on our last RCI cruise, we missed that!

I was looking at the deck plans (Millenium) and did notice a lack of closet space--too bad--I love that about the JS!

I guess this bears a little more thought!

I have sailed both lines and have been in both cabins. However, the only JS I was in was on the EOS.

My thoughts are that the SS on X, is a much better cabin. I really like the Butler Service.

Last year I sailed twice on RCI and I must agree that food was like Applebee's etc. While I have not sailed on X in two years, I remember the food being much better.

The perks for the Q&A are much better than the Captians Club. I really missed the Aqua Spa Cafe and Sushi Bar that X has.

The Junior Suite on RCL is approximately the same size as the SS on Celebrity. However, the walk-in closet with shelves on RCI is awesome.

The food on Celebirty IMHO is way way better then on RCI. The Elite perks are far better on RCI. They both deliver a good product, but if you are looking for better food and service then Celebrity is the better option.

Also, having the butler is definitely an extremely nice perk. Ask and you shall recieve. They go above and beyond on Celebrity to please.

Whichever cruise line you pick, you are bound to have a wonderful cruise.

I'm thinking of trying Celebrity--simply because I'm no longer enamoured of RCI's food! Last cruise, it was like eating at Applebee's or Chilis! Not my idea of a great meal! I'm hoping Celebrity is a step above!

Are the Sky suites comparable to the Junior Suites on the RCI ships? I notice they have them pretty well scattered throughout the ships (looking at all deck plans!) but there aren't many of them!

Any comments appreciated!!!!

We had a Sky Suite on Celebrity this past spring and last week we were on Freedom of the SEas. The Jr. Suite on RCI was very comparable to the Sky Suite, but as others have noted, the walk-in closet is missing. As far as food, I would have tended to agree with you about RCI's food being very subpar, but not so on the FOS last week. I would say the food was very comparable to Celebrity. Especially the beef dishes were outstanding. But why not give Celebrity a try. The closet shouldn't be a deal breaker, IMO. The butler more than makes up for it!

Wow! I didn't know about the full-size table! That sure would make room service a pleasure! It's hard to eat from a coffee table or patio table, unless it's just coffee. We may actually do room service this trip!!!

I guess I could live without the big closet, but that is a nice amenity on RCI! Where do you store you suitcases???

There don't seem to be many of the Sky Suites, so I guess we'll be booking pretty far in advance! (I usually book about 6 months out for a JS!)

Thanks for all the info!!!!!!

Wow! I didn't know about the full-size table! That sure would make room service a pleasure! It's hard to eat from a coffee table or patio table, unless it's just coffee. We may actually do room service this trip!!!

I guess I could live without the big closet, but that is a nice amenity on RCI! Where do you store you suitcases???

There don't seem to be many of the Sky Suites, so I guess we'll be booking pretty far in advance! (I usually book about 6 months out for a JS!)

You will find that the suitcases fit nicely under the bed:)

The table in our Sky suite was more of a round glass coffee table tan a full-size table. It was a bit roomier than the tables in an RCI JS but not anything like the full-size tables in suites on RCI ships.

In our Sky suite, there was a very large empty area between the cabin door and the armoire where you could store your suitcases or, as others have mentioned, you can store them under the bed without any problem. However there are no hidden storage shelves behind the vanity mirrors or the mirrors in the bathroom. Our Sky suite bathroom had a strange arrangement for the towels. Bath towels were on racks on the wall nearest the sink, while the handtowels were across the bathroom on the wall between the shower and the toilet. Reversing that arrangement would have made much more sense.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the storage info--I'm thinking I like the arrangement of the RCI JS's better than Celebrity's design! (I really love the walk-in closet--it feels like a seperate room!)

But the food issue is what I'm looking to rectify--RCI has gone so far downhill with the dining room, that it makes me sad! Our 1st couple of cruises were so elegant and the whole dinner experience was fabulous! The last couple of times, we really were disappointed with presentation, tableware, selection...you name it--it wasn't up to snuff!

I guess I can deal with no closet, if I'm well-fed!

You probably owe it to yourself to give it a try. As I said, I found some of the food to be extremely good, but it wasn't great across the board and in many instances (the ala carte restaurant, for example) and some evenings in the dining room), I found it didn't compare to meals we have had on RCI. I think that the cooks make a much bigger difference in the quality of the meals you get than a particular line, and I also think that personal taste plays a major role in how you judge the food. Try it and you may find you prefer X to RCI, and even if you don't, it is unlikely you will be unhappy with your experience.:)

cb at sea, my partner and I had a sky suite in May on an Alaskan cruise on the Celebrity Mercury. We both took warmer clothes and lots of them. After unpacking everything (and there was lots of everything) we still had 7 empty drawers that were never used. We loved the Sky Suite and cannot wait to have one again.

As others have noted, butler service is the BEST! We enjoyed several meals on our huge balcony--served in courses, with each course arriving at the appropriate temperature.

Food quality is also extremely important to our vacation experience. We returned last month from a Transatlantic crossing on the Constellation. The food was CONSISTENTLY outstanding with extremely interesting and satisfying menus --always beautifully presented. We dined twice in the specialty restaurant and thoroughly each each experience.

Try the sky suite. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I also like X for the quiet (no announcements or almost none), the service which I consider better than Royal (and the waiters don't leave to go do a lip-sync number during dinner) and the wine stewards. X is just a more traditional cruising experience.

Royal has the edge in perks. X's are pretty sad, even in Elite (highest level).

SS and JrS are so close as to be negligible.

I believe you'll like X.

Sounds good--on our last RCI cruise, the waiters (no speaking much English) lip-synched during the "dancing/singing" waiter thing anyway! (Once you've seen it, the thrill is gone!)

Well, I guess our next cruise will be on Celebrity! Thanks guys!

Two friends and I just returned yesterday from a great 3-night cruise on the Celebrity Mercury. We had a Sky Suite guarantee at a terrific price, and ended up in SS 1021 (our first experience in a Sky Suite). I liked the Sky Suite a lot, and thought that the layout was very efficient.

As far as the lack of walk-in closet is concerned, I don't think you will miss it. There is LOTS of storage space in a Sky Suite, and it is very well laid out and very accessible. We were three women and we didn't even use all of the drawers and shelves. Of course, we were only on the ship for 4 days, but we had packed for all kinds of weather options, and truly, we wouldn't have taken that much more if we had been travelling for a week!:o

All our suitcases fit under the bed.

There were 16 drawers, 8 shelves, and two separated closets with approximately 5 feet of rack. The closet/shelving storage is on both sides of the central hall by the cabin door, and the layout functions really well. Two people can have access at the same without difficulty.

If you go to the following website, you can find great pictures of Sky Suites. Our SS was identical to room 1023 on the Mercury, pictured on this website.

http://www.geocities.com/mahdnc/Cabinpix.html

The room was in great shape, and I really liked the colour scheme -- ultramarine blue, saffron and tangerine...very bright and cheerful. Two very large modern prints on the wall were great complements to the colour scheme and added a vibrancy to the stateroom. There was lots of mirrored wall, including a full length mirror, which women love ;) .

There was LOTS of lighting, zone controlled, which we had to experiment with at first, but it gave you lots of "mood lighting" options.

The desk is a generous size and well lit. Between the bathroom and the desk, there was lots of room for all three of us to get ready at the same time. The main power outlet was on a ledge above the desk and below the mirror. I really appreciated not having to scramble down on the floor to plug in my curling iron.:D I don't know if there was another outlet, as the one above the desk was sufficient for our needs.

The bathroom was a good size and well laid out. No storage behind the mirrors (which I find a nuisance any way), but good storage at one end of the mirror. There was lots of open shelving (with guard rail) opposite the sink, but reachable when you are standing at the sink.

No problem in our bathroom with access to towels. The locations were convenient.

Our butler, Jerry, was low-key, but professional and efficient...everything necessary was done without asking, and everything that we did ask for was provided promptly and with a smile. Our Stateroom Attendant, Sylvia was absolutely lovely. She went our to her way to make our stay happy and comfortable. I was sleeping on the pull-out sofa, and she brought me extra bedding to make it very comfortable. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for her, and she did everything with a smile, and genuine warmth. Sylvia's assistant who did the bathrooms, etc. was excellent as well. Unfortunately I did not get his name. I would love to have this team again on a longer cruise.

By the way, we thought the food on the Mercury was great...some of the best I have had on Celebrity. The five course dinners were outstanding, and the buffet was the best I have had on any cruise, in terms of selection, freshness and taste.

If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Two friends and I just returned yesterday from a great 3-night cruise on the Celebrity Mercury. We had a Sky Suite guarantee at a terrific price, and ended up in SS 1021 (our first experience in a Sky Suite). I liked the Sky Suite a lot, and thought that the layout was very efficient.

As far as the lack of walk-in closet is concerned, I don't think you will miss it. There is LOTS of storage space in a Sky Suite, and it is very well laid out and very accessible. We were three women and we didn't even use all of the drawers and shelves. Of course, we were only on the ship for 4 days, but we had packed for all kinds of weather options, and truly, we wouldn't have taken that much more if we had been travelling for a week!:o

All our suitcases fit under the bed.

There were 16 drawers, 8 shelves, and two separated closets with approximately 5 feet of rack. The closet/shelving storage is on both sides of the central hall by the cabin door, and the layout functions really well. Two people can have access at the same without difficulty.

If you go to the following website, you can find great pictures of Sky Suites. Our SS was identical to room 1023 on the Mercury, pictured on this website.

http://www.geocities.com/mahdnc/Cabinpix.html

The room was in great shape, and I really liked the colour scheme -- ultramarine blue, saffron and tangerine...very bright and cheerful. Two very large modern prints on the wall were great complements to the colour scheme and added a vibrancy to the stateroom. There was lots of mirrored wall, including a full length mirror, which women love ;) .

There was LOTS of lighting, zone controlled, which we had to experiment with at first, but it gave you lots of "mood lighting" options.

The desk is a generous size and well lit. Between the bathroom and the desk, there was lots of room for all three of us to get ready at the same time. The main power outlet was on a ledge above the desk and below the mirror. I really appreciated not having to scramble down on the floor to plug in my curling iron.:D I don't know if there was another outlet, as the one above the desk was sufficient for our needs.

The bathroom was a good size and well laid out. No storage behind the mirrors (which I find a nuisance any way), but good storage at one end of the mirror. There was lots of open shelving (with guard rail) opposite the sink, but reachable when you are standing at the sink.

No problem in our bathroom with access to towels. The locations were convenient.

Our butler, Jerry, was low-key, but professional and efficient...everything necessary was done without asking, and everything that we did ask for was provided promptly and with a smile. Our Stateroom Attendant, Sylvia was absolutely lovely. She went our to her way to make our stay happy and comfortable. I was sleeping on the pull-out sofa, and she brought me extra bedding to make it very comfortable. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for her, and she did everything with a smile, and genuine warmth. Sylvia's assistant who did the bathrooms, etc. was excellent as well. Unfortunately I did not get his name. I would love to have this team again on a longer cruise.

By the way, we thought the food on the Mercury was great...some of the best I have had on Celebrity. The five course dinners were outstanding, and the buffet was the best I have had on any cruise, in terms of selection, freshness and taste.

If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Sounds like the Sky suites on Mercury and the Century class ships are much better designed and furnished than those on Constellation and the other M ships. Our Sky suite which was handicapped-accessible and the Sky suite next door were quite spacious but both were lacking in storage space. :) The CC that we eventually moved to was considerably less roomy but seemed to have been more logically designed. Our friends had an aft CC cabin which was compact but had an enormous aft balcony. Unlike the Radiance class ships of RCI, the Connie has aft elevators, something lacking on the RCI ships.:)

Sounds like the Sky suites on Mercury and the Century class ships are much better designed and furnished than those on Constellation and the other M ships. Our Sky suite which was handicapped-accessible and the Sky suite next door were quite spacious but both were lacking in storage space. :) The CC that we eventually moved to was considerably less roomy but seemed to have been more logically designed. Our friends had an aft CC cabin which was compact but had an enormous aft balcony. Unlike the Radiance class ships of RCI, the Connie has aft elevators, something lacking on the RCI ships.:)

Hi Bill:

I was quite happily surprised with my first Sky Suite experience. We have always travelled Concierge Class and have been very happy. I never thought I would spend the extra money to sail in a Sky Suite, but I absolutely enjoyed it, and my husband would have loved it. I will now be looking for good deals in this category whenever we sail.

I have only "visited" one handicapped-accessible Sky Suite previously, on the Summit in November 2006 and honestly, we did not love it. The proportions were awkward and in truth, the interior was not attractive. But the one on the Mercury was in excellent condition and had a very cheerful ambience and a terrific layout. There was everything that we needed, and nothing that we didn't need.

Archived