Line-Crossing Ceremony

hoppy2

We are on the Tahitian in July 2006. On the day we crossed the equator, there was a big ceremony by the pool. Everyone got a certificate for the crossing. It lasted a couple of hours. I assume the Sapphire has something similar.

We were on the Sapphire in April/May and yes they had a crossing ceremony; pretty childish with all the crew being involved and lots of food (I will leave that to your imagination) but a lot of fun nevertheless. Also we received a "certificate" for crossing the equator. We also crossed the international date line, got two 28ths of April plus another certificate.

We've crossed the two or three times with Princess, and they have had ceremonies for the occasion, with certificates awarded.

Kobecat's description of "pretty childish" is probably correct, but it still was fun. I think many of us still have a bit of the child in us.

For first timers, the equator crossing ceremony is quite memorable, we have seen princess do this several times. Once is definitely enough though, as it can get really silly. They lost me when the pool was filled with staff and fresh fruit (use your imagination on this one ;)) Only once did it not take place on a Princess sailing, instead we had some sort of equatorial olympics instead. Many were disappointed.

We did crossed the line on the original Royal Princess. The ceremony which only involved staff was about 2 PM even though we had crossed the line earlier in the morning. It was more convienient to do it then and it last about one hour. There were certificates in the cabin that evening. No names were filled in on them, you had to do that yourself or have it done.

If someone takes a trip that crosses the line and you can do beautiful calligraphy you might make a few dollars filling in certificates for people on the cruise.

The ceremony of Crossing the Line is an initiation rite in the Royal Navy, U.S. Navy, and other navies which commemorates a sailor's first crossing of the equator.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony

The pool deck, and the deck above, was wall-to-wall people. Now we have our certificates, signed by the captain, proving we’re no longer pollywogs but shellbacks.

(with pictures)

from

http://www.pbase.com/arenared986/equator

The certificates we have received each crossing our now in frames. What I do is to take a large frame, then put the certificate in the middle, surrounded by representative pictures of that cruise. It looks great and hangs on my office wall as a reminder of great times, instead of stuck in a photo album somewhere.

The certificates we have received each crossing our now in frames. What I do is to take a large frame, then put the certificate in the middle, surrounded by representative pictures of that cruise. It looks great and hangs on my office wall as a reminder of great times, instead of stuck in a photo album somewhere.

Can you post the picture online. It sounds wonderful

Archived