1st Cruise coming up, some questions

FMCowboy

My family & I , and my in-laws are going on our first cruise on 11/16 on the Sovereign of the Seas. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

1) For my mother in-law, do they have wheelchairs for use to help us get her around? If so, where/how?

2)My Daughter is 5.66 yrs old. Will they allow her to be part of the 6-8 year olds in the adventure ocean program as opposed to the 3-5 yr olds? She is mature for her age and almost 6. I don't think she'll like hanging out with the 3 yr olds. Wasn't sure if this was a hard fast rule on age.

3) Is it ok on formal night if I dress in slacks, dress shirt & tie, as opposed to a Tux or Suit as I do not have a jacket and do not want to rent one.

4) We are staying on deck 2 near the front of the ship. Is that ok? I hope I don't get seasick, hopefully I can find something that works as I get seasick on fishing boats.

5)Can you bring your own inflatable raft to use on Coco Cay? Also, are the free beaches near the port in Nassau? We didn't sign up for any excursions, so we are looking for free or reasonable things to do at the two ports. I heard there is a boat to Atlantis? Is the straw market far? I have to think of my mother in law again and a wheel chair.

6)Do they still have lobster on cruises included with teh normal restaurants?

Anyway, sorry for all the questions. We hope to be seasoned cruise goers within a couple of years. Can't wait to go, hopefully we have a great time and I don't get seasick.

FM

If you are on a 3 day cruise, you won't be too out of place without a jacket, although many will be wearing formal wear.

Start taking Bonine the day before you cruise, and everyday during the cruise to prevent any seasickness. If seas are rough, you will feel it--especially if you are in the front of the ship! Sovereign isn't the most stabile of ships!

Yes--you can bring your own raft! I don't know about Nassau beaches--we just stay on the ship and use the pool while the ship is virtually empty! Very relaxing! The straw market is wheelchair navigable, but some of the shops may be pretty tight fits! I believe you CAN rent wheelchairs--call RCI's special needs dept. and ask about that!

No lobster on the shorter cruises--sorry!

As far as you daughter goes--just ask--they will sometimes make exceptions to the age rules!

Have Fun!

My family & I , and my in-laws are going on our first cruise on 11/16 on the Sovereign of the Seas. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

1) For my mother in-law, do they have wheelchairs for use to help us get her around? If so, where/how?

You must request a wheelchair NOW. RCCL can provide them, but you need to request it well before you cruise so they can be sure you have one available for you.

2)My Daughter is 5.66 yrs old. Will they allow her to be part of the 6-8 year olds in the adventure ocean program as opposed to the 3-5 yr olds? She is mature for her age and almost 6. I don't think she'll like hanging out with the 3 yr olds. Wasn't sure if this was a hard fast rule on age.

They do usually adhere to the age requirements, but many of the group activities mix the age groups. Leave her in the 3 - 5 yr old program, I don't think she'll be too mature for it.

3) Is it ok on formal night if I dress in slacks, dress shirt & tie, as opposed to a Tux or Suit as I do not have a jacket and do not want to rent one.

While it is not what RCCL states as formal dress, you will see people in just about anything on formal night. If you don't think you will feel out of place surrounded by suits and jackets - don't get one. But if you like the cruise and end up wanting to continue cruising, it is well worth buying a jacket. What do you use for weddings and funerals and othe rdressy occaisions? You can find low cost jackets on eBay that won't cost you a fortune.

4) We are staying on deck 2 near the front of the ship. Is that ok? I hope I don't get seasick, hopefully I can find something that works as I get seasick on fishing boats.

You may find that you do feel a bit of motion at the front of the ship depending on the seas. In many ships, the theater is in the front of the ship and you can really feel the movement when seas are rough. (IHaving just returned from Bermuda on Explorer, I can tell you the last night of the cruise the show was a bit empty because the seas were rocking and a lot of people couldn't take the motion in the front of the ship).

Make sure you take a seasick remedy with you - you don't want to have to go to the ship doctors for something. Buy Bonine of ask your dr. for a patch you can wear behind your ear. While the rocking on a large ship isn't a bad as the motion of a fishing boat, make sure you are prepared. If you can get a room midship, you will feel less motion if the seas are rough.

Have a great time.

If you have your own wheelchair and need one, Id bring it. RCI may or may not have a suitable wheelchair from my experience and if not, then you will be stuck without one.

They sometimes provide one for on and off the ship, but Iv never heard of them supplying them on the ship itself unless there is a medical emergency.

I was on the Sovereign and the night it got rough the purser's desk was handing out pills, so you can go there and get them free if you need them.

I have never heard of Bonine. Is that over the counter and is it better than Dramamine?

I am afraid to get sick since you can't get off quickly like you could on a fishing boat by going back to shore etc....

I get seasick on a fishing charter boats after about 4 hrs or so of 2-4 ft seas. While on 2-3 dramamine pills. W/O dramamine, about 1-2 hrs.

What is the best remedy out there? 20 yrs ago they had the "patch" and it worked great on a fishing boat with very rough seas, but they discontinued around 18 yrs ago. It came back about 10 yrs ago or so, I tried it then, and it didn't work. I have some prescription scopace pills that I haven't tried before.

I was thinking of drugging up w/ dramamine, and lots of ginger before I went as I hear ginger works well.

FM

I took Bonine (over the counter) and ginger pills (at GNC) at the same time. It worked great for me. Sometimes I get tired from medication so I took the Bonine with dinner every night...the full stomach really helped and it was not early in the morning where I would be exhausted by evening. If I started to feel anything I just took an extra ginger pill...the ginger can't hurt you. Also snack on green apples...this is an extra help.

In Nassau you can go to the Wyndham for $15 p.p. (it used to be free :( )which includes a beach chair and pool use.....the beach is there for use also and there are water sports, food an drinks for an extra fee. The bus ride to the Wyndham is $1 p.p. each way. Enjoy.

I know you'll all have a wonderful time! Cruising is the best thing for family get-togethers.

I had to laugh about your question concerning how far it is to the straw market. It's been awhile since I've been to that particular location, but my remembrance is that it is NEVER very far before you get deluged with people wanting to sell you something! You just step off the ship and walk a few yards!:D

Archived