When do you book your airfare?

3redheads

I always thought the sooner, the better, but...

I was checking jetblue for flights from IAD to Ft. Lauderdale next August and their schedule only goes up to April. Even if I booked spring break on jetblue, it's still cheaper than the other airlines.

Also checked airtran, which we love, and they don't have anything either for that far in advance.

So...what do you do?

I've checked cheapair.com, airgorilla.com, kayak.com and the individual sites. I'm thinking of waiting.

I might have to rethink this. The jetblue prices were EACH WAY! :eek::eek::eek:

Still very interested to see when and how everyone else books.

Jetblue and Southwest show one way fares only, not always the cheapest.

I was checking jetblue for flights from IAD to Ft. Lauderdale next August and their schedule only goes up to April. Even if I booked spring break on jetblue, it's still cheaper than the other airlines.

Also checked airtran, which we love, and they don't have anything either for that far in advance.

So...what do you do?

I've checked cheapair.com, airgorilla.com, kayak.com and the individual sites. I'm thinking of waiting.

It appears that you are planning to fly after April........and oil is almost $100 / barrel.......so it hard to say what to do.

If it is too high for you now.......I would track it for a while to see if you can get a better fare.

It also depends upon when you are traveling. I've traveled most often during peak times of school vacation and everything is at its most expensive. In such cases, the less "expensive" lines like ATA, Jet Blue, etc do not always turn out to be the cheapest. American and the older airlines put their seats on sale months before Jet Blue does. If I waited for Jet Blue to put the seats on sale, I would lose the better price of American when it first offers the seats and Jet Blue was often considerably higher for the holiday period. With prices of oil predicted to only go up, I can't forsee airfares coming down, so I'd watch it for a little while perhaps but strick if it's reasonable.

Can you fly Southwest? The reason I ask is because once they offer flights into August, you can book with them--Then check EVERY DAY, and if the price goes DOWN, you can easily change your reservation yourself on-line and get the cheaper rate. You won't get cash back, but Southwest credit for future travel. We travel Southwest often, so its great for us even if its only a few dollars of credit. Thats one advantage of booking as early as possible with this particular airline.

So I guess the answer to your question is, we book as early as possible!

I've found that prices generally are lowest between 60 and 45 days out. They'll be high the further away from your departure, and then start to rise again about 1 month before departure.

Of course, if you're traveling over a holiday, ASAP is best--price won't drop during high travel times!

We booked ours a week ago for our March 9th cruise. The prices started out high as soon as they came out. I kept watching the prices go down and kept waiting for it to hit bottom. Then it happened overnight; they skyrocketed. I kept checking different .com sites and finally found some for $716 per person from Michigan to San Juan. There was a button to check for same flights a day earlier or later. I tried for a day earlier and found that the same flights were $496 (taxes included). By going in an extra day earlier than planned, we saved more than enough on one person's tickets to pay for the extra day at the hotel for each couple.

This week, those same flights are $200 more from the same .com.

I booked air 2 months ago for a flight from newark to San Juan. Just checked today and the pricve is $100.00 cheaper on the same airline and same flight. Since they are economy tickets, I have to pay the change fee to rebook at the lower price. It's a hit or miss with booking airfare. I too am waiting to book flights for Aug. 2008, and I will wait until the other airlines (who won't open fares until March) to book my fares, right now I can't come close to Allegiant fares of 79.00 one way to Orlando. JMHO

We booked ours to San Juan(next May) a few months ago.....as soon as the rates became available,I jumped on it........I get too nervous that the price will increase........got it for $260 RT non stop.........didnt think it would drop too much more........in fact,it has gone up $30 already...

Hi

One good thing to keep in mind with Jet Blue is that if you book and the price goes down for your flight, you can call them and get a credit for the difference. It's a Jet Blue credit that has to be used within one year.

If one leg of the flight goes down that works too, you'll get the credit for that leg. They won't do this automatically, you have to keep checking and call if you see it drop.

I would keep an eye out for a "decent" fare and book that. Then keep watching it to see if it goes down.

Enjoy

Noreen

Hi

One good thing to keep in mind with Jet Blue is that if you book and the price goes down for your flight, you can call them and get a credit for the difference. It's a Jet Blue credit that has to be used within one year.

If one leg of the flight goes down that works too, you'll get the credit for that leg. They won't do this automatically, you have to keep checking and call if you see it drop.

Enjoy

Noreen

That is good to know... we often fly Jet Blue and did not realize you could get a credit if your proce goes down..... Thanks;)

I am kinda in the same position. Cruise in Sept 08 out of San Juan. Flight prices FLL - SJU come out on Nov 2 (cruise date is 9/21-9/28) with American Airlines. The only other airline I can get a direct flight down here is Spirit. But their pricing is only to June 08. I was looking at that Fare Compare website a couple weeks back. I still don't know if those prices are listed one way or round trip. I assume round trip. Therefore I can expect approx $300 per person/roundtrip.

When you travel makes a big difference. For our next cruise, spring break leaving on Easter weekend, we booked the day the airfare opened in May. I had booked the cruise a year earlier and tracked airfare for that sqme week in 2007 to see what it was going for. We chose to book early and pay a little more for non-stop flights at the times we wanted. The only cheaper fare so far would be with connections at less desirable times. We paid $408, still about $90-100 less than thru RCI and we know we have the flights we want. Last week I checked and a ticket on those exact same flights was $1674.00:eek: .

When you travel makes a big difference. For our next cruise, spring break leaving on Easter weekend, we booked the day the airfare opened in May. I had booked the cruise a year earlier and tracked airfare for that sqme week in 2007 to see what it was going for. We chose to book early and pay a little more for non-stop flights at the times we wanted. The only cheaper fare so far would be with connections at less desirable times. We paid $408, still about $90-100 less than thru RCI and we know we have the flights we want. Last week I checked and a ticket on those exact same flights was $1674.00:eek: .

I think you just made a decision for me. :D

I book when they come out on Nov 2. At $300 how much lower can they really get? Having the security definitly beats the unknown what will happen with prices.

So...what do you do?

Answer: flight prices change often depending on several factors. No simple answer as to when to book exactly. Flight trackers are a good way to watch and then decide. Other factors I consider with price are times, N/S, mileage plan rewards, CC purchase points.

Try YAPTA.com. FREE

Very nice service that tracks airfare (U.S. and only some carriers). It tracks JB. Will email you when there is a change. If you've already booked, will show you how to apply for a refund voucher if price drops!

We're going to FLL in March and I used the service to track Alaska (American flight) and JetBlue. JB was cheaper but flight times weren't good for us.

I just got a price drop on the AS flights, checked, changed it a bit and still saved quite a bit under my target price. So, I booked.

Hi

I would keep an eye out for a "decent" fare and book that. Then keep watching it to see if it goes down.

Enjoy

Noreen

I love this policy on Jet Blue. I have traveled with them several times. I have booked when I decide when I wanted to go. 4 times so far I have gotten credits back after booking. Last year we went from Newark to Fort Myers on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. The pricing for the flight down when we booked was $129.00 per person, and the return flight which was Orlando to Newark was $99.00 per person. We booked several months in advance. By the time we left both fares where down to $59.00 per person. I was issued a credit for all 3 of our tickets. I used those credits to travel to florida again in March. And when those rates dropped again, they reissued the credit again.

I booked last month to go to Florida again at $89.00 per person. The rates went up to as high as $129 per person, but this morning I was able to get credited for the new rate of $59.00 per person. So now I'll have a $90 credit to use next year when we fly to Miami for Freedom of the Seas:)

Book when you get a rate you can afford, but try to find and airline that will give you credit or refund for a price drop.

Happy Cruisin,

David

Some airlines will give you cash back instead of credit if the rate goes down after you book. Does anyone know which airlines do this? We don't fly often and since the credit has to be used within a year, it's pretty much worthless to us. I would love to have the cash back, though.

Some airlines will give you cash back instead of credit if the rate goes down after you book. Does anyone know which airlines do this? We don't fly often and since the credit has to be used within a year, it's pretty much worthless to us. I would love to have the cash back, though.

If you are in Ohio I think JetBlue flies flies from Columbus Ohio to San Juan. But I am not sure.

I am in FLL area and the only airlines are AA and Spirit to San Juan.

Archived