Best snorkeling site for 8-yr-old in East Carib?

boakin

I'm taking my two boys, ages 4 & 8, on Norwegian Dawn in Dec, stopping in Samana (Dom Rep), Tortola, St Thomas, and Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas). My 8-yr-old is not a strong swimmer and didn't have a good experience at his first attempt snorkeling. Does anyone have any recommendations where would be a good place for young kids to snorkel? It would have to be some place where he could walk off the beach into calm, clear, shallow water. Any good excursions to such a place at these destinations? How about Cayo Levantado Beach Escape (Samana), Coki Beach Snotkel (St Thomas) or Great Stirrup Cay Private Island Snorkel? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Coki Beach on St. Thomas will be a good spot for you. The water is usually calm and there are a lot of fish because everyone feeds them. The best snorkeling is on the left as you face the water, but for a weaker swimmer stick to the right side, the swim is shorter and there is less current.

If you have your own snorkel gear there is no need to take the ship's excursion. Grab a cab to Coki and go have a good time. Easy to get there and easy to get back.

My (then 5yr old) daughter first wet her fins at a cove, off the coast of Peter Island…which is visited on several excursions while visiting Tortola. I couldn’t tell you what beach, but there were plenty of fish, rays, and turtles. I’m sure I have it written down somewhere…I’ll look.

We went to Coki Beach last November with our 8 year old son. He is a great swimmer, but this was his first time snorkeling. He is now hooked on it. Make sure you take a box of dog biscuits to feed the fish and buy an underwater disposable camera from them to use. We were on the Crown Princess and St. Thomas was our first stop. We have been to St Thomas 3 other times and always went to Megan's Bay. Coki was perfect for the kids to snorkel, we just took a cab to Coki and spent several hours there. Bonaire was another great place for the snorkeling with the kids.

Have a great time.

Thanks much for all your responses and info. Our ship doesn't offer an excursion to Peter Island, so I guess I would have to hire my own ride over there. As far as Coki Beach, I have a question: Are there areas where he could snorkel in very shallow water that wouldn't be over his head? We are planning to bring our own snorkel gear, but do they have life vests available for rent or should I bring those too (if we don't go with the ship tour?) Is there snorkel gear available to rent, in case my brother needs to rent some? Thanks much!

I just asked my now 9 year old about the snorkeling at Coki Beach. He remembers (he usually has a good memory) that he could stand up and empty his mask if needed while floating close to shore. I know that you can rent floats and other items, but I can't tell you if there was snorkel equipment. I am not a snorkeler, so I just watched from the beach.

I took my 8 year old to Coki Beach last year. It is very good. We always pack a life jacket. - then no worries and all he has to do is stick his head in and the jacket will hold him up. He is a very good swimmer but still likes to use the jacket.

We went to Great Stirrup Cay in August. My 7 and 11 year old snorkelled in shallow water just off of the shore - we headed to the right as you exit the tender boat. It's amazing how many little fish are there - you don't see them until you put your mask in the water. NCL provides you with snorkel vests for free on this island. We brought our masks and snorkels from home.

Make sure you take a box of dog biscuits to feed the fish

Similar feed-the-fish thing going on at Coconut Court's big natural tidepool

right in front of their beach hotel on the South Coast of Barbados,

where the water really is this colour!

Big fat overfed Mullets...

we carry out bread scraps for the kids to feed the fish

they're well accustomed to it.

French Grunts also get in the mix,

along with baby French Angelfish who come up cautiously from the bottom.

Water depth about 2-4ft. deep

depending on the tide level at the time.

Archived