But I miss them!

Sorry Marissa, but I for one am glad they are gone...I'm sure the waiters are too.

Aww.

I don't know, there's something about flaming ice cream that catches my attention :D

And yeah...the waiters are probably glad they're gone...doing that week after week I'm sure can get annoying.

It has to do with insurance reasons.

I don´t know if there actually was an accident with the baked Alaska parade, however there was an accident with the Cherry Jubilee which used to be flamed in the Dining Room right at your table. The flames set a guest on fire and burnt the lady. After that I think insurance companies started to ban all thos fire stuff out of the Dining Rooms.

A few years ago, my TA told me that there was a (small) fire on board a ship (forgot which one) ignited by a baked alaska desert. After that, they discontinued all parades. I for one always thought it was sort of silly, but it does bring back memories of my first cruise on HAL! :p

A few years ago, my TA told me that there was a (small) fire on board a ship (forgot which one) ignited by a baked alaska desert. After that, they discontinued all parades. I for one always thought it was sort of silly, but it does bring back memories of my first cruise on HAL! :p

They still do it on HAL (or at least they did on the Noordam this May).

What ever happened to the Baked Alaska parades?

They were so awesome.

Did some accident happen, thus forcing Royal Caribbean to get rid of them on all their ships?

Someone please explain. I feel sort of lost.

I love Baked Alaska...I was wondering what ever happened.

ROFL.. me too, i could never get my head around why a bit of ice cream encased in merangue (s?) should warrant its own parade ....:confused:

I agree with this poster. Ice cream in meringue on fire? HUH? What's so wonderful about that?

Now, if you want to ignite something near ME, make it bananas foster! ;) (and you don't have to take it anywhere; just serve it to me!)

It has to do with insurance reasons.

I don´t know if there actually was an accident with the baked Alaska parade, however there was an accident with the Cherry Jubilee which used to be flamed in the Dining Room right at your table. The flames set a guest on fire and burnt the lady. After that I think insurance companies started to ban all thos fire stuff out of the Dining Rooms.

This is what I was told while on the Majesty a couple of years ago. There was an incident on a CCL ship. I was a little sad to hear this as I too enjoyed not only the Baked Alaska but the Cherries Jubilee as well.:(

On the Radiance/Alaska they did the Cherries Jubilee but not at your table. They did a big one on the landing of the staircase in the dining room.

Meriom_Mom -- I'm a Bananas Foster person too:D Hmmmm.....wonder why they don't serve that:confused:

They still do it on HAL (or at least they did on the Noordam this May).

Yep, my MIL and FIL took there 21st HAL cruise last year and said they had them. :) A previous poster just asked about the Banana Fosters, now THAT"S a yummy desert! Too bad they don't offer that one!

Baked Alaska is still served, but in individual portions ordered off the dessert menu. I am glad that the "parades" are gone; I always felt they were tacky, to say the least and hardly in keeping with what is supposed to be (but often is not) a fine dining experience.:)

I just got back from Grandeur TODAY! There was a Baked Alaska parade on the Grandeur YESTERDAY! They still have the parade on at least one RCCL ship. BTW they also had Bananas Foster.

WHAT?!?!?!?!? bananas foster on Grandeur?!?!?!?!?

Now THIS calls for a letter to top management to demand equal treatment on all RC ships! :eek: ;) :D :)

WHAT?!?!?!?!? bananas foster on Grandeur?!?!?!?!?

Now THIS calls for a letter to top management to demand equal treatment on all RC ships! :eek: ;) :D :)

YES YES YES!!!! Let's start a petition to have it on ALL the ships! :D

they dont carry the real desserts you are going to have for dinner anyway. do they?

They had them on our cruise on the pacific sun and we had finished our dessert and about half the people had left before they started. i dont know what the delay was. The ice cream would have been well and truly melted by then.

for the record i dont even enjoy eating it.yuck give me something chocolately

We were on the Big Red Boat when the heat from the Baked Alaskas set off the sprinklers in the low ceilings of the dining room. The insurance paid out to all the wet passengers was the reason they stopped the parades. Come to think of it, I wonder if that's why they went out of business?!?!

Archived