Staffing problems keep "Radiance" pax on ship

jleq

we had the oposite problem there on our celeb cruise awhile ago--we stood in line for hours in the hot sun waiting to get on board--inadequate screening staff ...no shade & the public bathrooms we had to use were disgusting & frequented by the local winos, celeb had to give out water to those on line... It's a nice place but not the best run port.. sorry you missed it..

I would be furious about not being allowed to disembark on time in Maui. They don't screen you when you disembark anyway! The screening occurs when you reboard. It was handled very, very poorly last year when we in Lahaina. We wanted to return to the ship to freshen up before heading off to the Luau.

We were unable to do so, because the wait to get through the Hawaii screeners was 2 and a half hours long! There is something going on between Hawaii and RCCL...it is not a surprise when the ships dock there, but there seems to be a repeated problem with access to Hawaii port facilities. :(

That's too bad. Well I'm glad it wasn't due to staffing problems ON the Radiance. That's what I originally thought.

Thats what I thought too with the title of this thread..:eek:

Bet the pax are HOT!! Dont blame them...

I don't get it. Something is not right. Like another poster said they screen you when you are coming back to the ship not getting off the ship. :confused:

When coming back you need to be prepared for "Island time" SLOW! The lines can be up to a hour or longer at times......but this is not the case if the passengers haven't even gotten off yet!!!

If you read the article, it sounds like the locals that operate the tender boats were not there or were not cleared by the Coast Guard to operate the tenders.

The ships officers and crew operate the tenders. Maybe the Coast Guard has some say in that, I don't know. Very confusing.

The ships officers and crew operate the tenders. Maybe the Coast Guard has some say in that, I don't know. Very confusing.

I've only had one cruise where the crew operated the tenders. Usually they are local boats manned by local crews.

On our most recent cruise (Celebrity Constellation) the ships first officer operated the tender we were on. I would imagine the other bridge officers were operating the other tenders. My guess is this would vary depending on the port. The port we were visiting (Falmouth, Cornwall, England) has notoriously rough seas and unpredictable weather. Which could explain why the bridge officers were operating the tenders. I don't remember this being the case at Cococay. :)

Sorry Wrona, you are a little off on this one. They use the ships lifeboats and crew to tender in both Hawaii and Alaska (Sitka). :) I would still be really ticked. It's not like they didn't know what time the ship was going to be there. NCL gets the premiere docking spaces and preferred treatment. Which I understand. But it is a shame that they treat other vessels like an inconvenience.

we were there 2 weeks ago on Serenade OTS - a 2day overnight stay. There were no local tenders, all passengers went ashore on the ship's tenders operated by the ship's crew. Even with another ship -Pacific Princess- there on the second day, there was no long hold up by security, and the only checks were made prior to reboarding when you had to show both your Seapass and a photo ID:)

We did the Sept Hawaii and had no issues with either tender service in Kona or Lahaina and we did the tender 2 times each day in the am anad later in the afternoon and never had a wait of more than 10 minutes. I would be mad if I went to Hawaii and could not get to see the Volcano.

Lexi

This does not surprise me at all. When we tendered in Lahaina on the Island princess almost 2 years ago, the same issues were happening. We didn't set foot on land until something like 10:30 due to the delayed tendering. This part was a Princess issue though. HAL was in port at the same time and according to the local police officer there, Princess only liked to tender one side of the pier. So for every two HAL tenders, Princess only unloaded one. It was insane. The wait to get back on the ship was well over an hour in the hot sun. So we waited in the shade while everyone boarded and we were literally the last ones on the tenders.

Maui was by far my favorite island. But next time I will visit by plane. :rolleyes: This port should never have two ships in port at once. It just can't handle it. And since NCL wasn't there, we couldn't blame it on them. This port just is too small for that amount of people.

I do give Kudo's to RCCL for arranging another day on Oahu for missing Hilo & delay in Lahaina. We had to miss Kona due to high surf and we were only rewarded with a full day in Ensendada instead of 4 hours. Whoopie. :( We would have preferred to cruise around the islands than spend more time in Ensenada.

Our Hawaii cruise was otherwise fabulous on Serenade last year. The tendering was awful in Lahaina, because there were only 4 security people. 2 were hand wanding guests and 2 were searching the bags....of each and every passenger. That's why it took so long.

Tendering in Kona was really super rough. It took them several trys to dock. And the waves were washing over the tenders. A window was smashed out on one of the lifeboats when it was washed in to the ship...the captain received permission to move closer to shore.

The tendering issues were kind of an adventure! Hawaii is definitely one of our favorite cruises to date! :D

Archived