Young couple on first River Cruise

vampiro852002

Hello all, My wife (Cassie age 28) and I (David age 30) are going on the Europe's Heartland cruise with Amadeus Waterways leaving on November 6th. We are aware that most of the cruiser will be much older then we are, and we are fine with that. We are not party animals. This is our first trip to Europe, and my wife is worried that we will forget to bring something. Does anyone have any advice on things we should bring? Also if anyone has taken this trip before and can share some insight that would be great. We are trying to figure out if we want to do the optional excursions in Paris and Prague. Thank you for your time.

David

David - the best way to avoid not taking something is to make lists - that what we do. By the time we are ready to pack, we pretty much just have to 'harvest' the closet and stick them into the luggage. I also start a pile of cruise things, like travel books, airplane goodies (Lifesavers, disposable books, toiletries (or a list of them) ,anything that we might need on the plane ride. Take a rain poncho or foldable umbrella, warm sweaters, a windbreaker, hat, just the usual travel things (check out CC's packing list site).

The other thing to remember is that there are stores in Europe where you can pretty much buy anything you can find here - and a lot of stuff that you can't find here!

We did an excursion into Paris and were lukewarm about the results. The Lourve was packed, just insane, but we had an incredible lunch at the Eifle Tower. It was a stormy, cold day and I'm sure that had a lot ot do with it, but we won't be going back any time soon. It just wasn't our cuppa, nor was London. Nothing wrong with either city, just not our tastes. You should at least visit Paris once and I understand that Prague is incredible. We'll have to catch that later.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Charlie

For your first trip to Europe you've sure picked a winner. On our recent Amadeus cruise, Budapest to Nuremburg and then to Prague, we were pleasantly surprised by the beauty and excitement of Prague and wished we could have spent more time there. If I am looking at your itinerary correctly you will have plenty of time in Paris but only two nights in Prague, not nearly enough. Amadeus selected the President Hotel for us--great choice. If you can extend your stay I don't think you'll regret the decision.

Thank you for the comments. We are staying in the President hotel, and I think that we will try to stay a couple of days extra in Prague. We are both so excited. I think that if the people on board the ship are half as nice as the people on these boards we make a lot of new friends.

Yes, it's true that riverboat cruisers are an older crowd but most of us geezers still think we're in our 30's. This is an interesting, very well traveled group with many fascinating travel experiences and we gained much valuable information regarding future trips.

You don't say where you are from. Keep in mind the temperatures in Europe in November may be lower than you are used to. Be sure to bring jackets, sweaters or sweatshirts. Also, it can be rainy, so bring umbrellas - preferably the fold up type that can fit in a backpack, purse, camera bag, etc.

Bring money. The dollar is at an all time low vs. the Euro, so prices will seem high.

Check any electrical appliances that you bring to ensure they can convert to 240v/50hz power. If not, purchasing a transformer and adapters would be in order. You will need adapters at least anyway as US plugs will not work even if the voltage is 120v.

Cheers,

Check any electrical appliances that you bring to ensure they can convert to 240v/50hz power. If not, purchasing a transformer and adapters would be in order. You will need adapters at least anyway as US plugs will not work even if the voltage is 120v.

Cheers,

We were pleasantly surprised that our camera and cell phone chargers worked automatically on 220v as did my CPAP. All we needed was the adapter to fit the socket. It pays to read the instruction book :).

I am thrilled to read that the CPAP worked. I have one, and that was a major fear of mine. I asked my Doctor, and he said that it should work.

We live in sunny Estero Florida, and we both are ready for the cold weather. We both grew up in the midwest and miss the season changes. I picked this time of year because I heard that the river is beautiful with the leaves changing.

Should we buy guide books for Paris and Prague, or does the cruise director answer most of those questions? Also, does anyone know if the catacombs are easy to get into. I am a disabled vet with a bad hip. I am excited to explore it, but concerned about the ease of getting down into it.

Re the CPAP - double check in the instruction book and on the "plaque" with the specs to see that the 220 voltage and 50 Hz are OK. I have to say that I held my breath when I plugged it in.

Also - if you are flying through Heathrow, you only get one carryon - the CPAP as a medical device isn't allowed as an additional carryon as here in the states.

Re the CPAP - double check in the instruction book and on the "plaque" with the specs to see that the 220 voltage and 50 Hz are OK. I have to say that I held my breath when I plugged it in.

Also - if you are flying through Heathrow, you only get one carryon - the CPAP as a medical device isn't allowed as an additional carryon as here in the states.

Just to add to this - if going through Heathrow, a Purse and a Carry-on are considered 2 seperate carry-ons and they only allow one so make sure a purse will fit into the carry on bag.

You do not say how long you will be in Paris. If you wish to avoid the crowds at the Louvre and Musee D'orsey, the Musee Carnavalet is a good choice. It is in the 3rd near the Musee Picasso. Since it is a city museum, it is free to enter and lots to see. There is just so much to see in the city, a side trip is almost a waste of time (Versailles, of course is worth the trip!)

Don

We will be in Paris for four days. We are flying into Paris from Atlanta. I am really greatful for all of the tips. Our tour offers an excursion to Versailles for $68.00 US per person. It is only a four hour tour. Is it worth that amount of money? Or, is it easy to get to on our own. There is also the option to go to the Montmatre for $42.00 per person. I'm not sure if these are things we can do on our own with out paying the extra amount to do them. I would love to be able to explore these places with my wife, without the added cost. Also, are the Cabaret performances worth the price?

When we are in Prague there is an excursion to Terezin. We are only going to be in Prague for two days. Should we go on this excursion?

Thanks again for all of the help.

David

For your information: you can get to Montmartre by Paris Metro for 1.1 Euro per person for a one way ticket assuming you buy a carnet of 10 tickets (metro stop Anvers on Line 2 or Abbesses on Line 12). So that would be 4.4 Euros or about $6.30 US for two persons round trip. For Versailles, you can take the RER-C line for about 6 Euros per person round trip. So for two people it would be 12 Euro or about $17.30 US. Also you can take a train from the Gare de Montparnasse to Versaille (a bit more expensive). Both places are worth the effort to see in my opinion.:rolleyes:

I have not been to Terezin, so I cannot comment on that trip.:(

I think you will enjoy your Amadeus cruise - just returned from our second Danube cruise with them, once upstream from Budapest->Prague, and last week from Budapest->Istanbul. There will be an umbrella below your bed. Just check your devices power supply - if it says 110/220-40 then you will not need a transformer, only a small plug adaptor. The ship's bursar will have one for you if needed. Definitely add days in Prague if you can. They really do limit you to 'everything must fit within one bag' if you go through Heathrow.

WIT

We will be in Paris for four days. We are flying into Paris from Atlanta. I am really greatful for all of the tips. Our tour offers an excursion to Versailles for $68.00 US per person. It is only a four hour tour. Is it worth that amount of money? Or, is it easy to get to on our own. There is also the option to go to the Montmatre for $42.00 per person. I'm not sure if these are things we can do on our own with out paying the extra amount to do them. I would love to be able to explore these places with my wife, without the added cost. Also, are the Cabaret performances worth the price?

When we are in Prague there is an excursion to Terezin. We are only going to be in Prague for two days. Should we go on this excursion?

Thanks again for all of the help.

David

David, here are my pictures of Terezin. http://picasaweb.google.com/Carhut/Terezin?authkey=ZITJJSQ_s7E

Now that you've seen them, don't bother to go unless you are a real history buff. It's quite depressing. I'm glad I saw it, but would not like going to another concentration camp. One is enough. We weren't allowed to take pictures of the crematorian and ovens but we walked through the building and saw with our own eyes.

Carole

As a previous poster said it is very easy to get to Montmmarte(sp) on your own and then you have the time to leisurely explore without the time constraints of being on a tour, it is an interesting area to just stroll the streets and take in all the sights. We spent 9 days in Paris last year and loved every minute of it. Did lots and lots of walking, used the local transportation and din't have any trouble getting around!

Prague is so beautiful. We also added 5 days onto our Eastern Europe trip several years ago and explore Prague. Also, another city that is very easy to walk aorund and explore. You will love it. Did not do Terezin so don't know if I would or not but there is plenty in Prague that you can do on your own, at your own pace! Enjoy

Micked10

Versailles is worth doing on your own so you can spend the day seeing the town as well as the Chateau. The "Versailles- Rive Gauche" is the most convenient station and closest to the palace. (There are several other stations but not as convenient)

You should take the RER C 5 direction Versailles Rive Gauche - Château de Versailles. You can catch this train at any RER C 5 station in Paris. To get to the Palace, turn right as you leave the station. Once you reach the next main boulevard, turn left and you will see it, about 200 meters in front of you. Good web site:

http://www.ratp.fr/ click on Plan de s ligne (left side screen); click on RER(middle screen); then left click on 'Le plan des reseaux RER

This will show you which metro stops connect with the RER C5

Metro ticket is worth getting (either a book of 10 or even a week pass {carte orange})

Montmatre, since it is in the city, is cheep to do. Closest Metro stop is Anvers(Line 2); walk one block toward the hilltop and take the funiculier to the top of the hill. Once up there it's "almost" flat!

Don

David -

We live in Europe. Have been to Paris so many times I can't count. Only once to Prague (this month!). But here you go -

Buy a "Paris Sesame" card on the metro. This will get you all over Paris, subways, buses etc etc. Also they will give you a map. Or think about taking a Paris card from the Tourist Office which will also give you entrance into the museums.

For the Louvre - don't go to the main entrance at the pyramid. Go to the river entrance, next to the Seine. You can usually get in there much quicker than at the Pyramid. Cost is the same, but no lines! Be sure you get a map of the museum, and do not miss the "old" castle of the louvre which is in the basement. They discovered this when they were digging to build the new entrance to the Louvre. It is amazing.

To eat reasonably, eat at the Louvre - good restaurants, cafés etc.

Versailles - on your first trip to Paris I would give it a miss. See Paris first. There is too much to "digest" in a few days!

For Prague - I am no expert, but if you have the money eat at the Kampa Park restaurant and ask for a table next to the river. The food is wonderful and the view spectacular! Avoid, if possible, wine. The price for wine is spectacular too!! For a more "ordinary" restaurant- try Rekjavik, in the old town. Really good foor and service and won't break the bank, which the Kampa will!! (But the Kampa is worth it!) Also there is a restaurant in the "Little Quarter" called U Modre Kachniky - the Blue Duck. Near the new Mandarin Oriental Hotel. Very good, local food. But you have to reserve. Your hotel will do that for you.

Havew a great trip and come back to Europe soon!!

David, here are my pictures of Terezin. http://picasaweb.google.com/Carhut/Terezin?authkey=ZITJJSQ_s7E

Now that you've seen them, don't bother to go unless you are a real history buff. It's quite depressing. I'm glad I saw it, but would not like going to another concentration camp. One is enough. We weren't allowed to take pictures of the crematorian and ovens but we walked through the building and saw with our own eyes.

Carole

Thank you for the pictures. I don't think that we will go there this time around. I think with such a small amount of time in Prague, I want it to all be happy.

David

Archived