How Black & White is the black & white ball?

cdkempton

On longer cruises, I believe there is always a black & white "ball" classification for the dress code which I remember from years ago, but, based on the change of dining, etc., I'm wondering how it is handled now, particularly on the Rotterdam, if anyone has recently enjoyed a cruise on her. Do most comply? and, if so, are most adhering to the black/white dress? Just curious as we are flexible either way. Thanks for any info. :rolleyes:

Colette

We had a black & white on Rotterdam last month. It was held in the Crow's Nest on a formal night and packed the house (they usually do). Most folks were dressed up in formals with a lot of tuxes and long dresses, not all necessarily in black & white so I would not stress too much about that part. It's a fun reason to do dress up and have a good time.

Several of the ship's officers (also in dress uniforms) will attend and they (the cruise director/staff) will have a "find the envelop" contest: Some of the officers will have an envelop with a "prize" in their pocket. The pax are encouraged to dance with the (mostly) male but also some female officers and, if at the end of the dance, your officer has an envelop, you (the pax) will win the price contained inside.

Here are some pics from the b&w ball on Prinsendam in 2006 (it was held in the show lounge -Trudy, a single lady from Toronto, Ont, was one of our table mates and was asked to dance the first dance with Capt. Gundersen.)

577326360_Prinsendam42Day9Capt.Gundersonattheentryoftheofficers.JPG.0c8e54e2d5051109b996a60cd82f7366.JPG

1557833488_Prinsendam43Day9SecurityOfficerDanielBlajan.JPG.e54a412ad461db6171d0698e270b2f8d.JPG

1629561810_Prinsendam45Day9ThePrinsendamsofficers.JPG.6be4bc525dc4b4be972f81bfd3dd13fa.JPG

91086533_Prinsendam46Day9Trudyandthecaptainatthefirstdance.JPG.9cba7784006cd9ab141fb3f63418f3d7.JPG

481813129_Prinsendam41Day9Capt.GundersonCDDaemsandourtablemateTrudy.JPG.0ee2ad8979b3bdfb66ab8480ab0cb6ad.JPG

We had a Black and White Ball on our 14 day Ryndam cruise. It, like the one John described, drew a very big crowd and it also was held in Crows Nest. If you read in the Program they will be having a Black and White, that is the night you would want to wear your most formal clothes. I don't think they are held on cruises of under 12-14 days.

Hope we have a black/white on ours.... Husband is now outfitted with his new tux. Bought him new patent leather shoes today. I've got the penguin slippers hiding as I'm sneaking them onboard. (Ruth and Jim are being bad influences). As for me I tend to be black and purple but I did just get a new sweater that will be perfect with my long black skirt for a black/white....

I do love getting dressed up!

Thanks for the pics.... everything that folks post just gets me more and more excited about our upcoming cruise.

I wear a black formal outfit with a white shawl. John wears his white formal jacket with the black tux pants & accessories.

There is also a Black & Gold Ball on the longer cruises. ( I just change shawls)

MaryAnn

AYW dining won't be introduced to the Rotterdam until late January, but even then it shouldn't have an effect on how people dress the night of the Black & White Ball.

Most folks wear (at least primarily) black and white. Once in a while you see someone who's her own woman and wears a red dress. Striking. Very striking. ;)

Archived