Clothes around Cape Horn

Hambagahle

We are on the Mariner Callo to Buenos Aires in January. I would really appreciate advice from anyone who has done this regarding what sort of clothes we are likely to need in Patagonia and around Cape Horn where it is probably cold and windy. Will it be, for example, like Alaska?? We are planning to take the excursion to see the Penguins in Punta Arenas where we need to walk for around 5km. Any help and advice would be most gratefully received!!

We went from Buenos Aires-Callao in '06. You'll need a medium weight jacket and some sweaters. Weather around the Horn was windy and cool. However, the weather in Ushuaia and Punta Arenas was very pleasant with temps in the high 50s to low 60s during the day. If you want to go out on deck going through the glacier areas you'll need the jacket and/or a sweater. Everything up to the fjords past Puerto Montt and after Cape Horn is moderate to warm. If you're going to see penguins I would wait till Port Stanley and you'll probably need a jacket or sweater for that.

I have gone around South America multiple times. Just like anywhere around the world, weather can vary from year to year or day to day. Let me offer some suggestions.

Dress in layers.

My wife and I each have a North Face Jacket so something like that is good, along with either a fleece or sweater. I would recommend waterproof pants, a hat, gloves and waterproof shoes.

It will be cold and windy on deck as you work your way down the coast of South America. We saw the penguines in Punta Arenas and on the day we were there is was a sunny day but the temperatures were in the 50's and with the wind chill factor I am sure it felt like high 30's.

So, the layering is the key. If the weather turns about better than expected than you can always wear less or remove say a sweater but if it turns out to be quite cold and windy you will be glad to have worn the extra items.

The penguin excursion in Punta Areans is outstanding.

Keith

Thanks SO much! So we don't need down anoraks, but windbreakers, fleeces and sweaters should do. Also, from what you said perhaps it would be a good idea to pack a hat and gloves (in case!) Do you think that longjohns would be a good idea???

Also glad to know that the penguins are worth visiting. we are all excited about this excursion!

:)

We were on the Mariner earlier this year and took in the penguins at Punta Arenas, which was great. However, we dressed for cool temperatures which backfired as it was 83 degrees and only one of nine buses was air conditioned.

If you can, go on the afternoon tour as this is when the penguins return from their feeding expeditions.

The weather in this area is very unpredictable so I suggest layering.

When we rounded the Horn the seas were as smooth as glass and the ship sent the safety boat to pick up the lighthouse keeper's wife and son, who came aboard and stamped all our passports with a commemorative stamp.

As we all know weather is very unpredictable. We certainly have seen that this past year in the states.

The odds do say that you will have some rough seas as you go around the Horn but once in awhile you get calm seas. On our most recent trip around the Horn earlier this year we also had very calm seas. So, it's good to hope that it is calm but prepare that it's not. Same goes in terms of the temperature. Hope for somewhat warmer weather but prepare for cooler temperatures.

Have a wonderful time.

Keith

For what it's worth my wife and I have seen the Penguins in both Punta Arenas and Port Stanley. The poster is right that it was much colder and windier in Port Stanley.

For what it's worth, if I had to pick between the two I enjoyed the Penguins much better at Punta Arenas. For us there was much more to see at Punta Arenas. We liked the fact that at Punta Arenas it was much more spead out and we found it more interesting overall. Again, this is just IMHO.

Keith

On Regent's Circle South America earlier this year, Port Stanley was on the itinerary but later cancelled. Apparently this is not unusual as weather often dicatates whether a ship will call there or not, although this was not the problem in our case and we were never really given a reason as to why this port was cancelled.

We had looked forward to seeing penguins there and were glad we had a back-up opportunity in Punta Arenas.

Hi everyone

You are ALL so helpful! We have to pack here in Switzerland, and then schlepp everything to Lima and beyond. So knowing what you have needed really is useful.

We have signed up (and now paid) for the Circle of Interest "The Falklands War" with Jamie Miller. I am British so this is really fascinating for me. So I rather think that any penguins for us will be at Punta Arenas and not Pt Stanley. There we will be walking around the battlefields with Commodore Miller! Even though he is hosting our black tie dinner I doubt he is a penguin!!!!

Did any of you go to Cusco and Macchu Picchu in the summer (January) and if so, what did you take with you - and what do you think would be useful??

Ciao!

Gerry

We are doing the Machu Picchu land excursion aswell. Any insight on how to dress or any other essential information would be appreciated.

Has anyone done the land excursion via Regent to San Pedro in the Atacama high desert? -San Pedro de Atacama with awasi

I'm also debating about doing the excursion, Quito - World heritage city on the equator when we get to Manta. Its a 12 hour long excursion which can be rather exhausting, so any information would be appreciated.

We also are looking forward to this cruise!

Thanks

Jimpeyton, Go to Quito only if you are not sensitive to very high altitude. We were there several years ago on the way to and from the Galapagos. I spent the entire time in our hotel room. Whenever I left our room, I could walk only a few hundred feet before becoming completely exhausted.

Actually we are doing the pre- and post cruise excursions on our own - that is, done for us by a London travel agent. So if we don't run into the Regent-run ones on land we'll just have to meet up on board!

It seems there is a real security problem in Lima itself and we have been warned - verbally and in writing! - not to wear ANY jewelry. has anyone else heard this?? It seems a bit harsh to me to not wear my wedding ring!! Also what do people do about cameras - not take them? I have a large digital SLR which I love, and nothing else that I can just slip in my pocket.

We were in this Lima earlier this year with Crystal and, yes, you were given excellent advice. In general, I would recommend when visiting the other ports on your cruise for you to keep your good jewelry on the ship as well. I wore a very inxepensive watch in the various ports, my wife either wore no jewelry or a pair of simple earings and I would just leave the rings on the ship as well. And, I carry very little money and one credit card and I kept them in a wallet under my shirt.

Keith

Thanks Keith

I never thought about the other ports!! I will be really careful to keep my jewelry in the hotel safe when on the land tour and on board while on RSSC excursions. I will also tell the friend who is coming with us!! But what did you do about a camera?? I thought I would take my small back pack and keep it in there - but if I am to take any photos I shall need to take it out from time to time!!

Archived