Waitlisted for Early Dining-Don't want late dining

mhg7274

I wonder if this might be a situation where "greasing the palm" of the Matri 'd would work? Does the Matri 'd have discretion in a case like this ... you clearly booked too late to get early seating, but he has a few empty spots he can assign at his discretion. If that's the case, a $50 might work some magic for you?

Not sure that I would pay to to get early dining; and we didn't book late either-we booked in March 06 for December 07.

Another thing you can try is to be persistent. On our most recent cruise we got the time was asked for (last seating) but not the table size. We really wanted a table for 2; cruises are our "reconnect" time but this time we didn't get it. We were told that they couldn't do anything for us the first night, but if we'd come by to the same location after dinner and ask again, they might have a solution by then. We did this and were told that "they" were still trying to find us a two-table and we thanked them again--I'm a great believer in being VERY NICE in these situations! Sure 'nuf, about 11 PM that first evening there was a card left in our room's mail slot, giving us a new table assignment--exactly what we'd asked for and in a MOST desirable part of the room. At breakfast the next morning, we sought out the maitre d' and thanked him profusely. For the rest of the cruise he called us by name and remembered our cabin number. He couldn't have been nicer.

I really believe that they wait until after the first meal to do much re-assigning; some people will be happy after all with what they were assigned and won't come back to ask again; others will just give up at that point and so the staff is left with fewer people to re-seat. I don't know if this is true for trying to change the time but it might be worth a try. With kids, you might need to do something else that first night.

I wonder if this might be a situation where "greasing the palm" of the Matri 'd would work? Does the Matri 'd have discretion in a case like this ... you clearly booked too late to get early seating, but he has a few empty spots he can assign at his discretion. If that's the case, a $50 might work some magic for you?

Not sure that I would pay to to get early dining; and we didn't book late either-we booked in March 06 for December 07.

Okay, no greasing the palm, but my offer still stands. Do other CCers think it might help convince the Maitre 'd to look for a couple more early dining seats to make six people - especially the young ones - happier?

It may be a product of my profession, but I have a rather interesting outlook on your problem...

(Imagine I am the guy in charge in the dining room)

1. If dining at the late seating is going to absolutely ruin your cruise and make you never want to sail with HAL again, and have you complain to the Cruise Director or the company about the Maitre'd - then I'd expect only $10 per person to "find" you a table for 6.

2. If you would prefer a change because you are traveling with children, and they wouldn't be cranky at the early seating, then I would expect a "tip" of $15 per person, because if you have to eat early, you can always go find a spot in the Lido.

3. If I am the Maitre'd, and you offer me a tip of any amount to "find" you a table, I'm probably going to ignore your request. Of course, if you gave me $50 per head, I might be able to work something out.

or...

You can just try what others suggest - ask nicely to be switched from late to early seating. Ask once when you board, again when you go to dinner the first night, and again when you are leaving the dining room that night. If you don't get it the first night, try again.

If not getting an early seating is going to ruin your cruise, then what about feeding the kids on the Lido and then you and your spouse go to dinner and leave the kids with Club HAL?

Personally, I don't like it when people attempt to bribe the waitstaff at any restaurant for a table, a cruise not taking exception.

If you are far enough out from your cruise, call HAL everyday until they offer to change it.

I know I'm a lawyer, and the running joke is that we'd do anything for money, but this is one instance (pause for laughter) where I would not accept it.

Do your best to get it changed, but for the love of all that is worth cruising, don't let this ruin your cruise.

Cheers,

Well, that's different. If you booked early enough to get your preference, you certainly shouldn't have to tip to get it. I'm talking here a case where someone clearly booked too late to get their preference ... but still wanted it. I wonder if a nice tip could get it for them?

Blue skies ...

--rita

This is where As You Wish Dining is gonna be a real lifesaver. In cases where people book too late to get their preferring dining time, they can simply use AYW dining and still dine at a time convenient to them.

It's not as simple as that!...There is a limited number of seats in the dining rooms...Not every one gets a time that is convenient for them...If too many of AYW diners want to eat early than not all of them can be accomodated at the same time...I prefer AYW dining and have had it on several cruises but accept that it has some limitations.

I know I'm a lawyer, and the running joke is that we'd do anything for money, but this is one instance (pause for laughter) where I would not accept it.

You have a future in arbitration/mediation.

I was told by a TA that HAL (and a few other lines) was unusual in this regard. On most cruise lines, it is late seating that is in demand, but on HAL (and a few others) it is early seating that goes first. That's why she told me that she always books her clients in for early seating, and then lets them switch around once they get on the ship. If they decide they really want late seating, then it shouldn't be a problem to get that. But if she had assigned them to late seating, only to have them want early seating, then they would have a major problem switching to early seating and would spend the rest of the cruise cursing her. :)

Blue skies ...--rita

I think, for the moment, HAL dominates the group cruise market. I think this is the number one reason why early seating tends to fill earlier. I also believe it is the reason why early seating often becomes waitlisted early on- to leave the discretion for a future group booking.

I do not work for HAL. I am not a TA. I ask a lot of questions because I am curious.:)

It's not as simple as that!...There is a limited number of seats in the dining rooms...Not every one gets a time that is convenient for them...If too many of AYW diners want to eat early than not all of them can be accomodated at the same time...I prefer AYW dining and have had it on several cruises but accept that it has some limitations.

This nails it.

Mass marketed ships cannot accommodate all passengers in a single seating. If the dining dynamics are such that more want early than late or vice versa, some are going to be dissappointed, no matter what. It is the nature of mass marketed cruising and not limited to HAL. AYWD is not going to solve the problem of more passengers than there are dining room seat available.

Those who absolutely must have what they want, probably should be booking a deluxe suite or booking on higher end cruise lines where one pays a substantial premium for the privledge of accommodation.

It does not matter if we like it, or not, it is what it is.

Well, that's different. If you booked early enough to get your preference, you certainly shouldn't have to tip to get it. I'm talking here a case where someone clearly booked too late to get their preference ... but still wanted it. I wonder if a nice tip could get it for them?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita thank you for making your point clear. I was getting a little upset at the thought that in order to get what I'd asked for a year ago I would have to tip extra to get it. :confused: We always book early and always ask for specific dining and table size when we book. Last time I even brought the copy of my email from HAL stating we would be given our choice. I'm glad I did, because when we got onboard we were not given what was promised in the email. But the Maitre'd very graciously changed it to what we wanted, when we asked.

I'm sure you could find someone on board who would want to switch for an *ahem" fee...

My offer to switch our two seats neither involved nor implied any fee of any kind. NO WAY. My remark about $25 was not an "ahem" fee to us, but, as someone else had proposed a $50 tip to the maitre 'd for four seats to accommodate the OP's party of four, it could be reduced to $25 with our swap.

Think its moot, anyway, but resent the implication that I expected a fee or even any thanks. If that's not what you meant then I apologize and hope no one else misunderstood my offer.

Think its moot, anyway, but resent the implication that I expected a fee or even any thanks. If that's not what you meant then I apologize and hope no one else misunderstood my offer.

I don't think anyone thought you implied a fee. I was just wondering aloud here if a fee could be offered to the matri 'd to get one's preferred dining, even if they booked late. My assumption with this question is that there is no one willing to swap. I just wondered if the matri 'd had a few extra tables in his "back pocket" that can be given away if his palm is greased appropriately ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita thank you for making your point clear. I was getting a little upset at the thought that in order to get what I'd asked for a year ago I would have to tip extra to get it. :confused: We always book early and always ask for specific dining and table size when we book. Last time I even brought the copy of my email from HAL stating we would be given our choice. I'm glad I did, because when we got onboard we were not given what was promised in the email. But the Maitre'd very graciously changed it to what we wanted, when we asked.

Believe me, I wouldn't tip the matri 'd a dime to get something I should be getting anyway. I am a "good ole union girl" ... and the matri 'd is management. He is paid well and shouldn't be raking in the tips. If I am entitled to something ... or have a reasonable request (want my table changed, etc.), I don't expect to have to tip him to perform those services ... and I never have. That's his JOB.

But, sometimes we want things we are not entitled to. For example, I had booked the Hawaii/South Pacific 30-day itinerary leaving in January, but I had to cancel it when my company sent me to school. Well, let's just say that due to illness, school didn't last. Now I am thinking about rebooking it. If I do, I don't expect to get my choice of dining times. I may even be forced into AYW dining. Well, that's what happens when you book at the last minute.

So, I was just wondering if greasing the palm of the matri 'd could get one their preferred dining time ... even though they were technically not entitled to it. In a case like that, I would have no problem parting with a reasonably generous tip ... because for that tip I am getting something I would not otherwise be entitled to.

Your case and mine are entirely different. You booked early. You should be getting your preference.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We've been on a number of cruises where our tablemates on the first night changed to early seating on the next night. They just couldn't handle the late times that we prefer.

In your place I'd do two things. Talk to your TA and explain the problem. Kids need to be at the early sitting. Your TA should take it up with HAL, especially since you booked a long time ago. What did your initial booking say? Secondly as soon as you board talk to the dining room. They won't want grouchy kids there either and will do everything they can to accommodate your family. Most of the crew love kids and go out of their way to entertain them.

My offer to switch our two seats neither involved nor implied any fee of any kind. NO WAY. My remark about $25 was not an "ahem" fee to us, but, as someone else had proposed a $50 tip to the maitre 'd for four seats to accommodate the OP's party of four, it could be reduced to $25 with our swap.

gooselace -

I didn't take it that way - I thought you were just being (and still are!) nice. It was nice of you to offer. :)

I was just wondering aloud here if a fee could be offered to the matri 'd to get one's preferred dining, even if they booked late. My assumption with this question is that there is no one willing to swap. I just wondered if the matri 'd had a few extra tables in his "back pocket" that can be given away if his palm is greased appropriately ...

I'm not naive to the ways of the world, but I find the suggestion that someone may be able to get something they're not entitled to, or cut ahead of others with the same request, simply by handing off enough money, appalling. It's bribery, pure and simple. And it would be wrong for the maitre d' to take a bribe.

There's still such things as "right" and "wrong".

The OP booked this cruise well in advance of sailing, and therefore should stand much closer to the head of the "change" line than someone who booked recently.

Cuts both ways, you see.

Ruth, I would be very surprised if the maitre'd accepted money from someone. (I know it's a common practice in restaurants). First, anytime we've gone up to change our table or seating, he's usually not sitting alone. Second, I think if he did, and people were to tell other people about it, it wouldn't reflect very well on him at all. I realize you're not talking about his accepting the money, but the fact that someone might offer it.

So many people wait in line to change their seating, that most seem to be able to get what they want without having to resort to giving money for it.

I would try calling customer service at HAL and making my request again ahead of boarding. I don't really think that the dining room wants to have young children eating at the late seating anyway.

I did not imply a fee - I am sorry you interpreted that way. What I meant to say, and if computers could convey wit and sarcasm through text, it was supposed to come out as you might be able to find other cruisers who would willingly switch dining times for a nominal amount.

Let's face it - I book main upper dining because I don't like to eat early, but if I had the early one, and COULDN'T get the late seating, then I wouldn't put it past me to *grease the palms* of a fellow cruiser who might be willing to part with his late table...

I hope no HAL Maitre d's (who are now called Dining Room Managers) read this thread. I'd be embarrassed for them to see this. JMHO.....

We have known many of these Maitre d's for a very long time. They are all very gracious, friendly, efficient able people who do their jobs well. They are not looking for people to 'grease their palm' in order for them to attempt to assign you the seating you desire. I simply don't accept that about these people. I don't think I am naive and I understand how tipping works.

They want you happy. Why wouldn't they give you the seats you want if they could? Don't you think they want parents and their young children to be happy and enjoy? Certainly they do. The whole crew wants the guests happy. There are a finite number of seats in the dining room. There are only so many tables for two. They have to wait to juggle around the first night those who are willing/eager/unwilling to change their original assignment before they know what empty seats they have to offer to someone else.

DH and I would be miserable if we were assigned the early seating. We would not expect to 'grease the Maitre d's palm' in order to arrange late seating. We would expect he would do his best to accomodate us when he got the feedback after the first night of who wanted to move to where/when.

LegalSailor, I accept your explanation, and fully understand the limitions of this medium, hence the misunderstanding of my mention that the OP, in appealing (with or without the tip proposed by another poster) to the dining room manager, could mention my offer of our two early dining seats.

Yes, sail7seas, I agree and would never offer such a tip - although I did wryly mention that my DH, who does not cruise, manages adroitly in other places where such incentives are expected and accepted.

I'll ask to have my seating changed to late dining and just hope that the seats go to the OP (Buzz & Woody) or another couple with similar justification, rather than someone who wants to be able to start partying earlier - as well as later.

Archived