First Cruise, odds of getting a Cabin Upgrade?

FMCowboy

I have heard different stories of folks getting upgrades at the dock. We are in the "steerage" section of the ship :) and ws wondering if there is any chance of getting bumped up to a better cabin. Are there any secrets to improve our odds? We currently have a standard oceanview stateroom.

thanks

FM

Cowboy, getting an upgrade is like playing slots, you never can tell when it will hit. I long ago decided to just go for the cabin I like and do not count on the upgrades. With ships selling full these days even if cabins were available at the dock the chances of being upgraded for free is remote. I have been upgraded once from an inside to an outside, to this day do not know why but was very happy about the change.

I have heard different stories of folks getting upgrades at the dock. We are in the "steerage" section of the ship :) and ws wondering if there is any chance of getting bumped up to a better cabin. Are there any secrets to improve our odds? We currently have a standard oceanview stateroom.

thanks

FM

Well the chances of being upgraded for free are pretty slim. If you want the best odd of being upgraded you have to book a guarantee cabin. This way you might get a better category than what you have booked, but in the same time you have to take the ridk ending up in the least desirable cabin of the category you booked.

The other way to improve your chances is cruise a lot and reach Diamond plus status, as these people are offered upgrades upon availability.

If there´s cabins available at the pier you can ask for an upgrade, this would be at additional cost of course.

My personal opinion here is don´t hope for an upgrade, book what you are happy with. Upgrades happen way too rarely to count on them.

I agree with everyone else... upgrades are rare... that is why we call it being visited by the Upgrade Fairy...

The other thing to consider is this... you are already booked in an oceanview... SOS does not have standard balcony cabins, so the next step up for you would be a suite... there are few of those and they don't have a problem booking those, hence the only thing they could upgrade you to would be a better oceanview, perhaps on a different deck...

thanks

FM

Just like the stateroom guarantees, an upgrade (if available) is determined randomly by a computer.

thanks

FM

All I can add is dreaming about an upgrade certainly enrich and enhance precruise dreams...so dream away...when you are finally on board you won't care at all...because you will finally be on your cruise.:D

I've been cruising a long time...and I've NEVER gotten a surprise upgrade...In fact, the only time I ever got to the ship and found myself in a cabin other than the one I thought I hd was on Oceania...They moved us, somehow, to the cabin next door...same category, no real difference...probably just a screw-up...

The one way we have been upgraded is by purchasing a "guarantee" rate...but that's part of the deal there...and, even with that, chances are you're in the category you were guaranteed...But, at least there there's a chance that they sell out the guaranteed category and YOU might be the one lucky enough to get bumped up...

Otherwise, the real answer is BOOK THE CABIN OR CATEGORY YOUR WANT...If you really want a balcony, BOOK a balcony...The reason you book an inside is that you're willing to live with an inside and you're looking to keep your cost down...

Frankly, there's nothing wrong with an inside cabin...The days of "Steerage" are over...Everyone, in every cabin, gets to go to the same ports, gets the same food, the same service, the same entertainment, the same activities...

If you are not the type to spend a lot of time in your room...if you are largely out and about--in port, around the ship, etc. and you only use the cabin to sleep, use the bathroom and change clothes, it really won't be that big of a deal...

So, stop worrying about getting an upgrade...just enjoy the cruise...

Next time, if you really want it...and your budget permits, book a balcony from the start...

Upgrades, at the pier, were a common occurance in the past. But travelers are savvy. So many figured out that by waiting they could get an upgrade for a mere pittance. Then RCI got smart, started selling the upgrades for a premium. That kinda took the wind out of the sails of those that waited to try at the pier.

Now, you need to ask for the pier coordinator to even find out if any upgrades are available.

What usually happens is that if they have unsold mid to upper range catagories that are not selling, they will bump up lower catagory passengers and then re-sell the lower catagories. This way they insure a full ship, which, hopefully translates to onboard spending and more $$$ for RCI. Apparantly, it works, profitable quarters keep coming for the stockholders.

Free upgrades seem pretty hard to get. I’ve been on 24 RCCL cruises and never received an upgrade. Even when I took a guarantee, I got the lowest cabin in the guarantee category I booked.

I know some get upgrades but I haven’t learned the secret. I am told that I may get an upgrade now that I’ve reached D+. My next cruise is a 3-day but I’ve learned no upgrades are offered on a 3 day till you reach 49 cruises.

M

If you book a guarantee cabin...be satisfied with the category of cabin you booked first of all.

So far...I have booked twice with guarantees....got upgrade on both.

1.) Carnival..was booked for inside/bunk-beds...got twin/queen bed with 2 porthole windows/OV.

2.) Princess....was booked inside queen...got OV queen .

It does happen...but don't expect it. Then you will be pleasantly surprised if you do get an upgrade.

If you book a guarantee cabin...be satisfied with the category of cabin you booked first of all.

So far...I have booked twice with guarantees....got upgrade on both.

1.) Carnival..was booked for inside/bunk-beds...got twin/queen bed with 2 porthole windows/OV.

2.) Princess....was booked inside queen...got OV queen .

It does happen...but don't expect it. Then you will be pleasantly surprised if you do get an upgrade.

The OP needs to read this post carefully.

NEITHER OF THESE UPGRADES WAS ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN.

I agree with everyone else... upgrades are rare... that is why we call it being visited by the Upgrade Fairy...

The other thing to consider is this... you are already booked in an oceanview... SOS does not have standard balcony cabins, so the next step up for you would be a suite... there are few of those and they don't have a problem booking those, hence the only thing they could upgrade you to would be a better oceanview, perhaps on a different deck...

And Amybear's post is the most relevant. Upgrades to SOV and JS and above are almost unheard of on the Sovereign, because MOST of the cabins (numerically) are insides and OV. No "regular" balcony cabins on this ship.

But HEY, if you DO get an upgrade, be sure to let us know all about it! ;)

On the other hand, right now (just 12 days before your cruise) there are two JS available, and innumerable SOV, and bunches of F1, and an F2, and RC *does* have a history of upgrading first timers in order to hook 'em, so I change my previous dire prediction.

Go ahead - dream. You may just get that visit from the upgrade fairy, FMCowboy!

:)

On the other hand, right now (just 12 days before your cruise) there are two JS available, and innumerable SOV, and bunches of F1, and an F2, and RC *does* have a history of upgrading first timers in order to hook 'em, so I change my previous dire prediction.

Merion Mom, you have a great point. Since there is inventory still available, upgrades are possible. It seems that the reason RC does not do many upgrades is simply because the ships sell out. But as Merion said, when inventory is available, upgrades are possible.

Unlike what a previous poster mentioned, upgrades are not done by a computer but by a person. This is because upgrades are looked at on an individual basis. For instance, is the guest travelling with many people? If so, an upgrade is unlikely as cabins are usually booked together. Have the cruisers sailed before, i.e. diamond status, etc?

Also, don't forget that when you book a guarantee you are telling RC you are a flexible traveller, and will not mind being 'upgraded'.

thanks

FM

LOL!! You're way too funny! :p I haven't heard anyone use "steerage" since the movie Titanic!! Where are you from???

Check this out on steerage. http://www.steamships.org/sdc/steerage_accommodations1905.htm

That upgrade fairy is a fickle thing. Never know when she's going to hit! Good luck with that!

OK, well I sail on FOS for the 2007 Thanksgiving cruise, bought a deck 2 oceanview (porthole) cabin (I), and two weeks later was magically upgraded to a D1 cabin, with balcony. Fourth cruise, first upgrade.

No trick I know of, just lucky. I think as one poster put it, your chances of an upgrade are improved with the lowest grade cabins: these are the ones that they can offer as 'deals' with lower prices, and since they can always upgrade someone already booked in one, they basically never run out...even today the promotions are still on, and there were few cabins to choose from two months ago. So if you buy balcony cabin, your chances of upgrade are far smaller than if you booked an inside on deck 2...IMHO.

just curious - will Royal Caribbean contact you about the upgrade or just go ahead and do it? If you have booked an inside mid ship and are happy with the location would they go ahead and upgrade you to let's say an oceanview but all the way forward? I wouldn't be too happy with that ...

On Freedom next week...

Got upgraded from a D1 Ninth deck, to a JS Ninth Deck...

It's our first cruise and our Honeymoon cruise, so naturally we're thrilled - never dreamt or hoped for an upgrade, but got one regardless!!

Hopefully there will be more cruises in the future, but we're planning on kids in a few years time, and don't think I'd take them on a cruise until they were old enough to enjoy the kids clubs. Also, I hear having kids can get expensive...

Saying that, there's always next year, and I'm keeping my eyes open for good deals out of England, as we'll save on the airfare that way!!

Good luck for the Upgrade fairy!! She does exist!! :D

Lizzi xx

Am i right in thinking that ive read somewere that if you get a free upgrade at the dock, and for some reason you dont like it when you get in it for what ever reason you cant change back to you original cabin.

Am i right in thinking that ive read somewere that if you get a free upgrade at the dock, and for some reason you dont like it when you get in it for what ever reason you cant change back to you original cabin.

Usually if they upgrade you, it's to give someone else your cabin.

Archived