Just returned from the Zuiderdam, SA by glass elevator

All I can say...WHAT A FANTASTIC cruise! We had a SA right by the glass elevators and never heard anything...I would say it was the most quiet Suite/Cabin we ever had on any of our cruises. The service was 6*, food and crew are the best! The Zuiderdam is in great shape and I can not believe that somebody has stated anything else. Yes the outside furniture shows some wear, but that is normal after 5 years in service. She didn't look rusty anywhere.

We just loved our cruise on the Zuiderdam a floating Ritz Carlton!

Review will follow as soon as I have my land legs back!

All I can say...WHAT A FANTASTIC cruise! We had a SA right by the glass elevators and never heard anything...I would say it was the most quiet Suite/Cabin we ever had on any of our cruises. The service was 6*, food and crew are the best! The Zuiderdam is in great shape and I can not believe that somebody has stated anything else. Yes the outside furniture shows some wear, but that is normal after 5 years in service. She didn't look rusty anywhere.

We just loved our cruise on the Zuiderdam a floating Ritz Carlton!

Review will follow as soon as I have my land legs back!

We loved the Zuiderdam as well, but it took a while (our cruise was 21 days) for us to get used to the "bing bong" EVERY time the elevator arrived. We were 3 doors down from the glass elevators and it still came through loud and clear.

We loved the Zuiderdam as well, but it took a while (our cruise was 21 days) for us to get used to the "bing bong" EVERY time the elevator arrived. We were 3 doors down from the glass elevators and it still came through loud and clear.

We did hear NOTHING! We had 7066, which is right beside to it! The head board of the bed was right at the elevator shaft...funny!

Thanks for the quick report ... looking forward to the longer version as we board the "Z" in 13 days!

It's DH's and DD's first time on HAL and my second after 25 years:eek:

We are staying in an SC (aft) and can't wait!

I am deciding between a SA next to the elevator or three doors away. This is our first time on this ship and I am wondering if everyone riding the elevator looks into your balcony.

Yes. At least they can if you are in the cabin immediately next to the glass elevator. Beyond that, no, the balcony cannot be seen.

I made a special point of checking this out on the Noordam (CC research, not a voyeur, of course. ;) )

We were in Cabin 7067 on the Noordam which was right next to the glass elevator (or lift as we call it in the UK!) We could hear the ping slightly in the daytime, but I don't know if they turn the noise off at night, but we certainly didn't hear it at all during the night, and I am a light sleeper! We did not feel that being overlooked by people in the lifts was a problem. This was mainly because the lift glass is tinted. I did use it several times to wave to my husband and daughter (yes, I know, I need to get out more!) but by the time I had focussed on them, the lift had travelled past the floor - they are certainly fast! These ships are almost identical, although the Noordam is a bit longer I believe, so I hope this helps.

Joan

I will be boarding the Zuiderdam on Dec. 1 with 340 other singles. This is my very first Holland America Cruise, but my third singles cruise this year.

I am really looking forward to this vacation. Will it be decorated for Christmas at this time?

Is there anything special about this ship that I should know before boarding, or something I should not miss while onboard.

Archived