First Oceania Cruise!

LegalSailor

I just booked my first Oceania Cruise, March 10, 2008 Caribbean aboard the Regatta. I booked DW and I in an A1 cabin, and I am really excited!

I've never cruised Oceania before, but there was a thread on the Holland America board that convinced me to try the line!

I just booked my first Oceania Cruise, March 10, 2008 Caribbean aboard the Regatta. I booked DW and I in an A1 cabin, and I am really excited!

I've never cruised Oceania before, but there was a thread on the Holland America board that convinced me to try the line!

Welcome aboard

Come join our roll call for this cruise

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=500465

Hi! Legalsailor:

Why do so many people read these posts? The answer is "anticipation." The thrill of anticipating a pleasant event is very much a part of the "participation."

We can tell you that part of the anticipation is enjoying the chat on CC. We have enjoyed 30+ cruises over the years and each one of them has been a very happy experience.

We have made many friends at sea after 7 years of participation on these boards.. From the old Sitmar Line and the luxurious Royal Viking to our last trip aboard the Oceania Regatta from MIA to LA we have loved every one of them.

Like you we are surfing CC again as we look forward to our b2b from Buenos Aires to Barcelona. We depart LA for our much looked for revisit to the Oceania on February 23rd. Like you we are counting the days. We can guarantee that your anticipation of your Oceania cruise will be well rewarded when you enjoy those days aboard being pampered the "O" way!!

Enjoy your weeks of anticipation!

I always get giddy counting down the days to a cruise! I don't think the feeling will ever go away, but when it does, I expect that to be the day I'm dead!

I love doing research and becoming intimately familiar with each line, and Oceania looks to be very promising! I look forward with great anticipation for the sailing, and I'm sure the DW will when she gets back from her business trip and I tell her! LOL!

My tale of woe - too much anticipation based on the RAVE reviews of Oceania I think led to my disappointment with the cruise. Don't get me wrong, it was very nice and we had an enjoyable time, but I don't know that it was any better than other run of the mill cruise lines. I thought the food was good, but certainly not equivalent to the majority of the reviews on CC. The cabins are very small. I posted a member review if you are interested. I think that if I had not had the expectations that I did, I might have been happier with the cruise. I hope that your expectations are not only met, but surpassed and that my experience was the exception and not the rule. Obviously, most people who post here adore Oceania so for most people they are doing something right. I just wanted to lend my perspective.

My tale of woe - too much anticipation based on the RAVE reviews of Oceania I think led to my disappointment with the cruise. Don't get me wrong, it was very nice and we had an enjoyable time, but I don't know that it was any better than other run of the mill cruise lines. I thought the food was good, but certainly not equivalent to the majority of the reviews on CC. The cabins are very small. I posted a member review if you are interested. I think that if I had not had the expectations that I did, I might have been happier with the cruise. I hope that your expectations are not only met, but surpassed and that my experience was the exception and not the rule. Obviously, most people who post here adore Oceania so for most people they are doing something right. I just wanted to lend my perspective.

Hmmm ... we have just returned from our first Oceania cruise - we're in our mid-fifties, a tad younger than many of our fellow cruisers, and not at that point in our lives where we can afford to travel in total luxury (not yet retired, one child still in school, etc.)

We had an inside cabin on Insignia's Deck 7 - we had read that the space would be cramped, but that wasn't our experience. We thought the cabin was laid out well with great storage, and we never once felt confined or claustrophobic.

We had such an amazing vacation - and we have cruised the mass market lines (RCCL, NCL, Princess) in higher cabin categories in past years, and did not enjoy ouselves. In fact, we had pretty much decided we are not "cruise-type" travelers. I am so glad we gave it a try one more time - we are definitely Oceania converts!

We thought the food, as well as the presentation and service in all the dining venues, was excellent. The ship was lovely, the staff seemed to actually like ther jobs, and our fellow passengers were friendly and unpretentious.

The value received in exchange for our fare price was so good that we extended our trip - three days in Athens pre-cruise, two extra days in Venice post-cruise, and eight days in Paris.

Just one more perspective ... I guess that's what makes the world go round!

Congratulations! I think you'll be very happy. My husband and I have been on over 20 cruises on all the mass market lines (and none of the premium lines such as Crystal) and tried Oceania last year. We are hooked. :) I still love HAL and would sail again but love, love, love Oceania.

Have a great cruise,

Donna

Thanks for your input. We also do not consider ourselves cruise types but after reading about Oceania we decided to celebrate our retirement and 25th wedding anniversary in APR on our first cruise. We are even younger than you (late 40s) and a bit apprehansive but your comments have helped :)

Thanks for your input. We also do not consider ourselves cruise types but after reading about Oceania we decided to celebrate our retirement and 25th wedding anniversary in APR on our first cruise. We are even younger than you (late 40s) and a bit apprehansive but your comments have helped :)
My husband and I sound a lot older than we are on the boards because we have traveled a lot (like most Oceania cruisers) considering our age, but we are in our mid-40s and loved Oceania, as noted above.

Happy travels,

Donna

"You can please most of the people most of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time," is an apt quote when it comes to anything in this world. If we all thought the same way it would be a very dull place to be. It is the same with cruise lines. We have enjoyed over 40 cruises on everything from Costa, (terrible in our minds) to Regent and Oceania (wonderful in every way.)

We have also enjoyed Carnival and Princess and long for the days of Royal Viking.

It all begins with "attitude." If you take a good one with you you will enjoy your cruise BUT if you are looking for faults it will be easy to find them, whether it is in the size of your stateroom, (you knew the square footage when you booked,) or the quality of the food. (Is everything you cook perfect?)

In our mind, "O" is about as good as it comes on the High Seas. It ain't perfect, but what is? As Robert Burns expressed it, " aal' the world is queer except thee and me and even thee is a LITTLE queer."

Thank for your input . We are extensive travelers having never been blessed with children we spend our money traveling :) but cruising will be new to us. With the port extensive itinerary I think we should be ok. Neither of us can sit still for long.

Thank for your input . We are extensive travelers having never been blessed with children we spend our money traveling :) but cruising will be new to us. With the port extensive itinerary I think we should be ok. Neither of us can sit still for long.
I've looked in my crystal ball and predict that you will be hooked. :) It's definitely a relaxing and convenient way to go from place to place. My best wishes for a great cruise, and I hope you'll leave your thoughts when you return.

:) Donna

How can anyone be disappointed with O

we have cruised RCI ,Celebrity,Holland America ,Princess ,and Renaissance

O is born out of Renaissance and both the food and the service are totally superb especially the Polo Grill now that is 200%

Its truly hard to fault O on the entire cruise experience

You will also see from these boards that Frank Del Rio monitors postings and contributes and even deals with a problem directly if its warranted

Something other cruise lines could do very very well to follow

My Attitude was what caused me to be disappointed with the cruise. I was so looking forward to cruising on O based on the amazing reviews on these Boards. I had visited the website so many times to look at the menus, etc. If I had a better attitude, I might have popped so please don't judge. Since I have seen so many people "attacked" here when they didn't agree with others on how wonderful O is, I was hesitant to post, but I thought that if it helped another person to reign in their expectations then it would be worth it. As far as the food comment, yes, my food is not always excellent, but then again no one writes rave reviews about it on the internet and no one pays to eat it. I would like to add my one rave review and that is about the cruise staff. With the exception of the security officers, they were all amazing!!!! Dimitri, our butler, Philippe in reception, Maria, our cabin stewardess, and Nepat, one of the wait staff were our favorites! Also, the wait staff in all of the restaurants were exceptional.

As I said before, I hope that you have an amazing cruise. I did not intend to diminish your dreams at all. Have a wonderful time.

Hi! I am also taking my first Oceania cruise next July and I was hoping all you veterans could help me figure out how the private cabana process works. The website says I need to book through my TA and my TA says the website. Has anyone succeeded at pre-booking a cabana yet, and if so, can you choose the specific days in advance or is another thing to do in the scramble when you arrive on board?

Thanks in advance!

Jenifer (who wonders if she can change her id to "AttorneyOut2Sea"

I was going to book one before we left using O's website, but when the total displayed, it was $750! I had read through the boards that it was only $100. When we got on the ship, we asked and were told that it was only $100, but since we were so delayed getting to Istanbul, the cabanas were all reserved. I would think that if you reserve as soon as you board the ship, you should be able to get one. Check out the website and see if you have better luck with the cost. Good luck.

Hi! I am also taking my first Oceania cruise next July and I was hoping all you veterans could help me figure out how the private cabana process works. The website says I need to book through my TA and my TA says the website. Has anyone succeeded at pre-booking a cabana yet, and if so, can you choose the specific days in advance or is another thing to do in the scramble when you arrive on board?

Thanks in advance!

Jenifer (who wonders if she can change her id to "AttorneyOut2Sea"

I was going to book one before we left using O's website, but when the total displayed, it was $750! I had read through the boards that it was only $100. When we got on the ship, we asked and were told that it was only $100, but since we were so delayed getting to Istanbul, the cabanas were all reserved. I would think that if you reserve as soon as you board the ship, you should be able to get one. Check out the website and see if you have better luck with the cost. Good luck.

You can book the private cabanas directly from the already booked section of the web site. Your do not have to use a TA. My understanding is that you can only book the cabanas for the entire cuise through the web site. If you want to book the cabanas for individual days, you have to book after you are on board the ship.

On our upcoming 16-day Panama Canal cuise, the cost of a cabana for the entire cruise is $750. It may be less for shorter cruises. I've read that the cabanas rent for $100 on sea days and $50 on port days. If my information is incorrect, I hope someone more knowledgeable will correct it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that info, Dave. I could not imagine the reason for the cost difference:confused: But you are correct about the $100 for sea day and $50 for port days or it was in September when we cruised. On one of the sea days, I would not have liked being in the cabanas as it was very still and extremely hot in areas that were blocked by glass, but on the other day it would have been very nice as it was so windy, I was pretty sure that we would do a Mary Poppins impression. On windy days they close the upper sun deck and it makes finding a lounge chair in the sun very tricky. If you don't get a cabana and you want a sunny spot on a windy day, get out pretty early.

Archived