When to pay final Payment

07rubicon

I will be sailing on CB April 6, 2008. The TA has given us a final payment date of 1-15-08. Do you usually wait until that due date to pay in full or is there a chance my price will go down. We are using an online TA and just a little nervous everything works out as it should so I was thinking of paying it off early. Any thoughts????

We sail April 19th. I'm making final payment on Thursday...my bonus is being paid :) and what better to thing to do with free money than cruise?

This trip aside, I usually do pay way before final payment is due. If there's a price reduction you can usually get it. Other than the interest on your money, you're not losing anything by paying early.

We use a local TA and she usually sets her final payment date about a week before Princess's. That way we can make sure it gets applied prior to. However, she has our cc # and just calls to give us a head's up and then calls it in. It usually takes about two or three days for the payment to be acknowledged.

We don't like to pay any early than that because we feel they draw enough interest upon our money to begin with.

Charlie

My TA had my due date listed as Oct 31, which was probably 10 days or so earlier than Princess' date. She's held off as the dollar has been going up more and is supposed to spike again this week.

There are no benefits from paying off your cruise before final payment is actually due, but that said, we normally try to make final about a week prior. Just in case there is a problem or the TA may be out of town.

IF the price goes down on your sailing/stateroom category before that final payment date, you can usually get the price adjusted and a refund to your credit card. It is much easier to do before final payment is made as you don't have to deal with the refunds.

Normally, the price will not decrease right before final payment. If it is the same three weeks before, chances are it is not going to drop until after final payment is due.

If you call your TA and let them know that the price has dropped, you will get a refund of the price difference if you have already paid in full.

We have never had a problem getting this done even though it's a little bit of a bummer to the TA b/c their commission goes down w/ the price.

I uses costco. They typically ask for final payment 60 days before sail date

Just out of curiosity, why do you use Costco to book your cruises? Costco isn't allowed to discount cruises (same as "real" TA's), so is Costco giving you other benefits? Do they provide you with an up-to-date brochure on your cruise, suggest cabins based on possible noise or other issues, constantly monitor pricing and inform you of price reductions, suggest shore excursions and provide you with brochures that describe them, provide you with detailed information about the ports-of-call based on their personal experiences....the list goes on and on. The Wal-Marts of this world have driven tons of local businesses out of business, and Costo's entrance into the cruise booking business will help do the same to professional travel agents.

Just out of curiosity, why do you use Costco to book your cruises? Costco isn't allowed to discount cruises (same as "real" TA's), so is Costco giving you other benefits? Do they provide you with an up-to-date brochure on your cruise, suggest cabins based on possible noise or other issues, constantly monitor pricing and inform you of price reductions, suggest shore excursions and provide you with brochures that describe them, provide you with detailed information about the ports-of-call based on their personal experiences....the list goes on and on. The Wal-Marts of this world have driven tons of local businesses out of business, and Costo's entrance into the cruise booking business will help do the same to professional travel agents.

It's only Celebrity and RCL that don't allow TAs to discount cruises. Not Princess. Any TA can discount a Princess cruise, if they chose to.

We sail April 19th. I'm making final payment on Thursday...my bonus is being paid :) and what better to thing to do with free money than cruise?

This trip aside, I usually do pay way before final payment is due. If there's a price reduction you can usually get it. Other than the interest on your money, you're not losing anything by paying early.

Well, predictions are that the Canadian dollar will top US$1.10 soon & who knows if it will go further. If you booked with a US agent & paid in USD you might be saving if you wait a little longer.

Well, predictions are that the Canadian dollar will top US$1.10 soon & who knows if it will go further. If you booked with a US agent & paid in USD you might be saving if you wait a little longer.

We hit 1.085 today. I'm happy with that. Besides, I then have a greek island cruise to start paying for :) both are in USD. Haven't booked a Cdn. $$ Cruise in Eons.

Archived