A Third New Ship!!!!

Iamboatman

Can someone suggest what this might mean for the existing ships, especially given their age and lack of true balconies?

I have absolutely no information from Seabourn on this, but I think it is pretty clear that this probably signals the end for the triplets...BUT keep in mind we are talking about 2011, so they have quite a number of years left to keep us all very happy.

I have absolutely no information from Seabourn on this, but I think it is pretty clear that this probably signals the end for the triplets...BUT keep in mind we are talking about 2011, so they have quite a number of years left to keep us all very happy.

Well, I do hope Seabourn will keep the "small" triplets for many, many years! The intimacy of these Small ships can't be beaten. And why would Seabourn refit them, if they want to get rid of them? Would "Seadream" be interested in buying them the way they will be by springtime next year?

I think we should all vote for keeping the triplets!

Wat about starting an action thread for that purpose?

Seabourn should hold on to the "triplets"!

Marja

As soon as I read your first post, that is what I was thinking. Clearly the economics point to these larger ships. The size of the current triplets are not as economical in terms of revenue per ship and of course ships built today are more efficient.

While I'm sure the new ships will be a delight, this will be more incentive for us to plan to take additional sailings on the existing triplets before they eventually are decommissioned. They are very special.

Keith

I was talking with my DW about this last evening. We really enjoy the smaller triplets and, although a bit different, find the entire feel of the cruise to be much better then when cruising on Regent (even on the wonderful Diamond) because, in part, it is much more intimate.

As for the refittings now ongoing, three to four years is a long time in this business and past guests expect improvements and some polish each time they board...especially at the luxury end of the market. If Seabourn didn't invest in the ships now they would be looking very tattered by then. Also, by making some of the improvements now, past guests will already have been exposed to some of the new concepts, so the consistency of product will be present...rather than there being the shock of something totally different.

Selfishly I hope they keep the triplets, but economies may not make that happen. It is not only the economies of scale, but the economies of keeping the older ships mechanically and environmentally at a sufficient standard.

Also, I don't know if Seabourn - at its level of luxury and personal service - can be a consistently excellent product with 6 ships out there. With Seabourn the big thing is the "software" and finding enough people from reservations to logistics to stewardesses might be a huge challenge.

I am, however, still pulling for the little triplets to stick around.

Archived