Benefits of more involvement

meow!

Yes, I agree, some missed Meow's opening comment. Let me preface what i am about to say by saying that some of the people who post on this board ARE TA's, so clearly they have a bias of the strongest order. Jancruz is one of them and I have noted that her customer base praises her highly and I have come to respect her opinions. If I needed her style of service and I wouldn't hesitate to use Jan. However, that being said, i do get concerned with the scare mongering that goes on on this board. E.g., if you organise your own shore excursions you'll miss the ship, get mugged, catch nasty diseases, get ferried around to nefarious shops down back alleys...you get my drift. Same is if you don't book through a TA something God awful will happen to you. Thing is, since the internet has existed I have beed doing every tiny step for myself. This is NOT a chore, like PAnana's husband it's a hobby for me. I am extremely well informed (but evidently not humble...sorry) and use the research skills I gained in my PhD (has to be good for something ;) ) in travel research. ON the other hand, I do believe I have read more people on this board raging about the wrongs done to them by TA's - so I think the argument that using a TA is worry-proof is a bit of a furphy.

Our friends here in Australia are constantly amazed at the quality and frequency of our travel (given that he is a civil servant and I am a uni lecturer - neither of which pay megabucks). It comes from many hours scouring the internet and doing deals. People here now come to me to do their travel planning for them, such is my reputation for getting bargains. Hey, maybe I should become a TA (only joking).

My point is, (touch wood) I have never had any troubles whatsoever with self booked flights,cruises,trains, accommodations, tours etc.. It's something to do in winter when you are depressed about the cold - something to actively participate in the anticipation. Yes you can save thousands of dollars, quite literally.

Another benefit is if things are booked over the inernet (such as accommodation, you can very frequently change your mind at the eleventh hour and rejig your arrangements mid holiday - which I like to do).

Finally - maybe there is a better standard of TA in USA than there is here in Australia. Invariably the ones here seem to be addled brained youngsters who know absolutely nothing about what i want and are only interested in flogging something I don't want so that they can get their commission on certain products. And for that we pay about 25% extra...no thanks.

I have just booked a trip to Israel (Leaving Friday) and have used a UK Travel Agent who offered me a great deal because of their connections with El Al....so I let them book the rest of the trip thus earning them further commissions......my total costs around $7,000 ....and I could probably have shaved that by asking them to discount even further....but I was happy because ofthe service.

2 weeks ago I was in Mallorca for the weekend and booked it all myself direct with Airlines, car rental and hotels.

I did the same 4 weeks ago in Portugal.

A good TA has to offer me a valued service and if along the line they earn a commission I am more than happy. I met one here and the arrangement has worked well.

The question of the £ to the $ is irrelevant as I have been travelling for the last 40 years or more and the UK £ has been up and down like the proverbial YO YO......if we want to go...we go.

The greatest thing is that we all have the freedom of choice and I make mine based upon value of help.

Happy thanksgiving or whatever to all my Yankee friends

Brian

Yes, I agree, some missed Meow's opening comment. Let me preface what i am about to say by saying that some of the people who post on this board ARE TA's, so clearly they have a bias of the strongest order. Jancruz is one of them and I have noted that her customer base praises her highly and I have come to respect her opinions. If I needed her style of service and I wouldn't hesitate to use Jan. However, that being said, i do get concerned with the scare mongering that goes on on this board. E.g., if you organise your own shore excursions you'll miss the ship, get mugged, catch nasty diseases, get ferried around to nefarious shops down back alleys...you get my drift. Same is if you don't book through a TA something God awful will happen to you. Thing is, since the internet has existed I have beed doing every tiny step for myself. This is NOT a chore, like PAnana's husband it's a hobby for me. I am extremely well informed (but evidently not humble...sorry) and use the research skills I gained in my PhD (has to be good for something ;) ) in travel research. ON the other hand, I do believe I have read more people on this board raging about the wrongs done to them by TA's - so I think the argument that using a TA is worry-proof is a bit of a furphy.

Our friends here in Australia are constantly amazed at the quality and frequency of our travel (given that he is a civil servant and I am a uni lecturer - neither of which pay megabucks). It comes from many hours scouring the internet and doing deals. People here now come to me to do their travel planning for them, such is my reputation for getting bargains. Hey, maybe I should become a TA (only joking).

My point is, (touch wood) I have never had any troubles whatsoever with self booked flights,cruises,trains, accommodations, tours etc.. It's something to do in winter when you are depressed about the cold - something to actively participate in the anticipation. Yes you can save thousands of dollars, quite literally.

Another benefit is if things are booked over the inernet (such as accommodation, you can very frequently change your mind at the eleventh hour and rejig your arrangements mid holiday - which I like to do).

Finally - maybe there is a better standard of TA in USA than there is here in Australia. Invariably the ones here seem to be addled brained youngsters who know absolutely nothing about what i want and are only interested in flogging something I don't want so that they can get their commission on certain products. And for that we pay about 25% extra...no thanks.

Touché Lahore! I am like you..

Rarely have we used a full service Travel Agent..Our Oceania cruise in two weeks is an exception, & I'm pleased to report we have an excellent TA, one who I believe is just like JanCruz..Fortunately I took Jan's advice & our Agent came through for us..Agree with all who said "A good Agent is worth their weight in Gold"

Let me explain why we usually handle our own bookings & now only if they begin & end in the U.S.

I was in a European Airline Sales position for over 30 years & like you Travel is still my hobby..I'm used to making our travel plans & tend to be organized & careful...I also want immediate answers to my questions & do a great deal of research....I'm also willing to ask questions if I don't know the answers! Most of the time we book our own cruises, hotels, cars, flights, etc...However, since we are no longer willing to "schlep" our own luggage, we have occasionally booked with wholesalers or groups in order to get transfers in foreign ports..

We rarely book ships tours, & have never missed the ship! Of course we are not one of those who cut it close to departure time either..We also are prepared to handle our own problems if we do..

And those who are naysayers & scare Mongers are just that, because they either don't want to take the time to do their own research or are unable to do their own research..I'm not condemning them, to each his own, & if they are happy more power to them...However, I do resent being told that my way is wrong or stupid!

In my line of work, I've come across many Travel Agents in the U.S. who are either too busy to talk to their clients once they get the booking & are unwilling to handle off beat problems...Fortunately our new TA is terrific!

Agree with Meow & you, doing your own research & bookings is time consuming & not for everyone...However, those who condemn our way of thinking are being unfair & judgmental..

JMO..:) Betty.

Several months ago, at age 70!, I embarked on a new career - that of a Cruise Only travel agent. While applauded by most of my friends and family, some thought I was nuts! Why, they asked, would I want to subject myself to the cruisers who spend countless hours scouring the internet for the best deals, who constantly seek my advice based on the years of cruising my wife and I have done, and then go book elsewhere to ostensibly save a few bucks?

I'm happy to report that in less than six months, I've booked over 40 cruises for folks who have known me for years and respect my proven dedication to my clients' best interests. I'm also starting to get referrals from those I've already booked, a sure sign that this success will continue to mushroom and blossom.

Have I lost some business to the new client who calls and asks me to share my hard-earned commission in the form of discounts, on-board credits, pre-paid gratuities, bottles of wine, etc? Of course I have. Does this bother me? Not in the least. I'm quite comfortable knowing that I'm receiving a fair return on my investment of E & O insurance, advertising, franchise fees, referral fees, and the myriad of other expenses incurred in the running of a "real" business.

Maybe I'm somewhat of a relic of the pre-online days, but I'm quite confident that there are enough cruisers out there who will place their trust and confidence in a travel agent whom they know will get them a great price, with accompanying outstanding service and customer care.

Well it would seem that all is as it should be in the online world: each to their own.

Serendipity: may you continue on your merry way. I am writing now from my pre-cruise hotel in Rome (great price, great hotel, found in tripadvisor.com). All going well so far, except the weather - but I haven't met a TA yet who can guarantee that!

Mike35: at 70! Good for you! I wish you every success in the world. Do note though, that some of us do our research not by picking TA's brains but by good old fashioned research (e.g., reading...books even!) and the savings are real, not ostensible. Nevertheless, if I had the need - as I said previously - I wouldn't hesitate to use some of the TA's on this board.

Hi Cathy - sure, as long as the moderator doesn't mind. It's the River Chateau. Look it up on tripadvisor.com, everything people say is true. It IS a way out of town and it IS easy to get into town. It's in a wonderful area with beautiful old buildings and a market about literally 4 minutes walk down the road and (according to a taxi driver and we would agree) one of the most famous pasticceria (sp?) and gelati shops just down the road. At $165/$150/$99 Euros depending on their level of occupancy I would definitely come again.

Thanks! I will check it out! I found my Paris hotel in part using Trip Advisor as well--although I will say the things some people choose to complain about are very, very picky. But I like seeing people's actual photos, rather than just the hotel's promo pictures--you get a much truer idea of what the hotel is really like.

Have a great cruise! Then you can come home and do what I'm doing--start searching for the next one.

Catht

Quite agree Cathy about picky people and silly complaints. But the River Chateau had hardly any and that's a minor miracle in itself!

Thanks for the good cruise wishes - I ALWAYS do what you are doing to get over post-holiday blues; start planning the next one! That's another reason why i wouldn't really want a full service TA - I might have to go into post-holiday therapy without something unrelated to work to get stuck into :D

Like Lahore and others on this board, we always book and organize our trips on our own. We have just come back from a 5 and a half week vacation to Ireland and Italy and I did everything myself, including air, car hire, hotel reservations, trains etc. No way did we use a T.A. as Lahore has mentioned most of them here in Oz are young people who haven't a clue about geography and do not even know half the countries in this world.

I have been doing our own trips now for the past 4 years or so as I started having trouble with our T.A.'s here and found that we were not getting the full value for our dollar.

I too am asked by friends to help them organize their holidays and have done so readily.

Lahore, enjoy your wonderful cruise. Please let us know how you enjoyed it when you return home.

Jennie

Mike35: at 70! Good for you! I wish you every success in the world. Do note though, that some of us do our research not by picking TA's brains but by good old fashioned research (e.g., reading...books even!) and the savings are real, not ostensible. Nevertheless, if I had the need - as I said previously - I wouldn't hesitate to use some of the TA's on this board.

Many of my clients are seniors who haven't the inclination to use a computer to the extent that many of us do. They rely on my computer search skills and cruising experience to put together a cruise package that meets or exceeds their expectations. For many years prior to receiving my certification, I too researched my cruises, but I let my outstanding TA do the actual booking. He always gave me a great price, some awesome on-board amenities, and the comfort of knowing that should a glitch arise, he would be there to help resolve it. I've striven to emulate him in my TA business.

No way did we use a T.A. as Lahore has mentioned most of them here in Oz are young people who haven't a clue about geography and do not even know half the countries in this world.

Jennie

How very dissappointing. :( I wonder what people who do not wish/ or cannot plan a trip themselves do? I would think that one of first requirements of becoming a TA would be a love of travel.

How very dissappointing. :( I wonder what people who do not wish/ or cannot plan a trip themselves do? I would think that one of first requirements of becoming a TA would be a love of travel.

No, one of the first requirements for becoming a TA with most companies in Australia is a desire to sell by commission and make a lot of money in order to fund own desires (possibly own travel). That doesn't necessarily correspond in any way with me (the customer) getting anything other than a ticket that I could have booked myself online (certainly no value-add). Some companies (usually, I find, the budget oriented like student travel [sTA] employ young, well-travelled and knoweldgeable people), but they tend to be the backpacker type and whilst i do sometimes travel that way, not always. Many of the other companies have people who have only ever been on free TA junkets and want to flog those properties to recoup commission. You guys in USA talk about added value things like free gratuities etc etc., never have I been offered anything like that here. In fact our Oceania wholsaler complained to me when I commented that I wouldn't buy from her because she charged at least 30% more than USA TA's that she had to charge more to cover her advertising! So that is my role as a customer - to pay for her advertising :mad: Or not.....

Well, I have used a TA on my latest vacations, but it IS kind of a waste since I find the bargains and the itineraries I want and all she does is make the call for the booking. I spent over $10K on our last cruise and the only perk we got was pre-paid dinner in the specialty restaurant ($60). I thought that was pretty skimpy. I know their commissions AND their businesses have been greatly affected by folks like us using the internet, so I didn't squabble but I am sure I could have found an on-line agency that would have thrown in more goodies.

But I do enjoy all the other planning--and I am completely against using ship's tours if at all possible. We did do one in Florence because we'd never been there and were unsure of how to proceed--it was $300 for two, we walked for FOUR hours straight without being allowed to sit down, and when we had lunch they served roast beef and mashed potatoes!!!

We promptly came back to the ship and cancelled our remaining excursions. We rented cars in Marseille, Nice and Malaga for less than $100 and toured everywhere we wanted to go. It was great fun to plan and more fun to experience. I know it's easy to book with the ship, but much more expensive and spoon fed IMHO. We then spent 4 days touring France in a rental car and found incredibly historic and interesting hotels on our own and just had a ball. But I also realize many people don't have the time or the inclination most of us on these boards have to do the planning and research that's required. For me it's WAY more fun than watching TV, for instance! That's why as soon as I get back I HAVE to start planning the next one!!

One other point--I have noticed that even for silly things like making sure the beds are together in the stateroom, you have to use your TA. You just cannot contact the cruise line directly to make that change--I think that is such a waste of everyone's time--it's like we're not ALLOWED to communicate directly with the company we've paid thousands of dollars to! Okay, off my soapbox and back to work!

Cathy

Thank you so much Meow for taking the time to explain the simple process of transferring our bookings. We have reservations for 6 staterooms on an upcoming cruise, and truly appreciate the savings.
You are most welcome, happy to be of help!

We did do one in Florence because we'd never been there and were unsure of how to proceed--it was $300 for two, we walked for FOUR hours straight without being allowed to sit down ...
When we were there in April, 2004, we hired a taxi which was waiting right by the ship. We bargained and got a price of 220 euros (then worth less than now) for the whole day. We went to both Florence and Pissa and back to the ship. The driver spoke reasonable English, and we didn't have to walk at all other than to come down and take pictures. In fact, taxis could park (for short intervals) where buses were not even allowed to enter. As for lunch, the driver went away for half an hour leaving us on a plaza, where we wandered as we wish and ate our own local food there. Taxis are convenient, private, go where you wish and comfortable -- it is the best way for excursions (in civilized locations). It was so nice that at the end of the day, we gave him 20 euros for tip!

Blech, Cathy, that lunch sounds like enough to put me off ever going on an organised ship's tour - not that I would consider it in almost any circumstances. I am considering one only to go up Etna as I can't find a cheaper alternative anywhere online and my husband isn't really into volcanos, with the ship's tour I (hope) I have the luxury of waiting to see what the weather's like - if it's cloudy you won't see a thing and I won't go. It's the first stop after we board so I should get a fair idea of the prevailing weather and if I don't get on well tough luck, I can live with it! But if they serve any sort of "English" food I'll be sitting outside or going for a walk, I wouldn't eat roast beef and mashed potatos if THEY paid ME :p .

I wholeheartedly agree with Lahore's comments. Never have I been offered shipboard credits, discounts or gifts for when on board the ship like most of our U.S. friends receive from their T.A.

We pay top dollar over here for our cruises and of course if our dollar goes up against the U.S., we would do not receive the difference that we are entitled to.

You don't know how lucky you are in the States to have the T.A.'s who really look after their customers.

Jennie

Blech, Cathy, that lunch sounds like enough to put me off ever going on an organised ship's tour - not that I would consider it in almost any circumstances. I am considering one only to go up Etna as I can't find a cheaper alternative anywhere online and my husband isn't really into volcanos, with the ship's tour I (hope) I have the luxury of waiting to see what the weather's like - if it's cloudy you won't see a thing and I won't go. It's the first stop after we board so I should get a fair idea of the prevailing weather and if I don't get on well tough luck, I can live with it! But if they serve any sort of "English" food I'll be sitting outside or going for a walk, I wouldn't eat roast beef and mashed potatos if THEY paid ME :p .

I admit I was shocked--especially since the first course was a small piece of lasagne! The funny thing is, we are from Idaho--and it was obvious the mashed potatoes were of the powdered variety!! I should have done more research before I left and figured out a better way to go--but we spent four days driving around France after the cruise and that planning took all my spare time--and quite worth it, I must say!

We had planned to do the ship's tours in Morocco, but alas they cancelled both ports of call the day before we left. Thus no time to plan for the replacements, Gibraltar and Malaga, but we did okay on our own--always a better option, I am now convinced!

Cathy

I too enjoy planning our trips and excurisons though we usually do a mixture of using a private guide and also using some of the ship's excursions. For example there is no way we could plan our 3 day/2 night excursion to Agra to see the Taj Mahal in April that we are doing with the ship. It would just be impossible to organize the flights etc for those 3 days and what would happen if something went wrong whilst doing our own independent trip and we couldn't get back to the ship in time, the next port is Oman, miles away from India. I would hate to try and find a plane from India to Salalah.

I am sure in our case as we using the ship's excursion the ship would wait as there are quite a few of us booked on this once in a lifetime excursion.

I must admit that $300 for a 4 hour walking tour in Florence is a bit steep but I wonder if that included your transport to and from the ship as well as perhaps a stopover in Pisa.

Jennie

It did include the transport, but not a trip to Pisa--just straight to "downtown" Florence and back again.

In our other ports of call, we just rented a car for less than $100 and went everywhere we wanted to. Of course we weren't going to try that in Florence, but I think we could have done more, at our own speed, for what we spent. Mind you, we are not old or infirm, it's just that four hours straight was a little much. If we'd been on our own we would have stopped at a little cafe and just enjoyed the surroundings, an espresso, and a restroom somewhere in there! We should have bought tickets in advance to the Accademia to see the David and to the Uffizi, which we only saw from the outside!

But I totally agree with you on the Taj Mahal--no way to do that one on your own!!! Have a great time!

Cathy

Jennie,

You are in for the treat of a lifetime..Stu an I did the Taj trip in May wit Oceania and it was so well organized..food was great and they did an outstanding job..we LOVED every minute..it is very hot so dress appropriately..if you have a small thermos for ice I suggest you take it..

Jan

Thanks Cathi and Jan,

We are really looking forward to seeing the Taj Mahal plus all the other "wonders" on this fantastic cruise. We are counting down the days but still have a long way to go - 140 days at last count.

I started on my packing list yesterday. I like to have it all on the computer so that I can work through it over the next few months. It will be a hot trip and I am only taking cool clothing.

Jennie

Archived