Benefits of more involvement

meow!

On this board, many people discussed the benefits of a good travel agent. For those who are busy or would like to have full service, having a good travel agent is very important. That is for sure.

However, there are also people who are interested in managing their own voyage, and have the time and the knowledge to do so. If one can do all the "leg work" by him/herself, there is this pleasure of participating in the process yourself, satiating it step by step and learning the details on the way. This can include not just the cruise, but the air deviation, the hotels, all of those from the beginning to the end, the entire process. And you will feel having more direct control of your trip.

When it is time to make the final payment, turn you file over to a discount agent (find one yourself, no names suggested) and shop around for the maximum discount on offer. Often, the discount is sufficient to pay all on-board regular tips and possibly the drinks as well (if you don't drink much). This way, you can turn your ticket price into a quasi-all inclusive price.

In this day and age of tight economic situation, consumers should be informed that ways to save some money exist. It may take work on your part, which may be quite enjoyable to some people, and at the end of the day, you know you have substantial savings, a quasi-all inclusive cruise for the overall price of a non-inclusive one. In Oceania's case, since the air fare is usually included, your cruise price may effectively become even more inclusive (air, tips and drinks) than the luxury lines. Isn't that an attractive thought for those who are thrifty?! It is like buying a "kit" with all the parts and do your own assembly, instead of having the item delivered to you.

And then

Why not go to the Supermarket and decide on everything you want to buy.....and then go online and see if you cant get it a bit cheaper.

A good TA is worth their money and let everyone earn a living if they offer value.

Brian

Not sure about the UK, Brian, but that is exactly what is developing with non-perishable grocery items here. One of the largest shopping websites (named after a long S. American river) now sells groceries online as do some regular supermarkets. Like MEOW!, I really enjoy tracking down the best travel deals on the internet and have actually had TAs bid for my business (i.e., transfer of cruise line direct bookings). Other than cruises I don't think travel agency is a long term growth business.

Oh Brian, often I agree with you but this time not. I agree with Meow 150%. In Australia we have always been way behind the eight ball in terms of costing, our exchange rate against the USD and the Pound has always been lousy. So we scratch together the pennies and itinerary to be able to travel in luxury at a low cost. Yes it can be done exactly as Meow says or even bettter. Yes OK, let some travel agent make a living off those who have enough money not to care, or insufficient time or whatever. On the other hand I could pay someone to clean my house, mow my lawns, drive my car even; but I don't - because it doesn't match my budget nor my priorities. Same goes for holidays. It's not my lot in life to keep people in employment (other than my ever-reliable online discount crusie agency with whom I am by now on first name terms).

On a slightly different thread, I have been involved with a few slanging matches here over the years about things involving money (e.g. extraordinary tipping). When we were travelling in the past and the USD was high every thing for us cost doubled. Many people said if you can't afford it then don't travel... now I am somewhat fascinated to see the general flavour of these threads becoming much similar to my thinking over the years: travel whatever way you can.

The problem I see with MEOW's plan it may or may not happen to you

I have read it here on CC many times

You book with a discount agent and something goes wrong ....the discount agent does not help you get things sorted out & the cruiseline because you booked through an agent will not deal directly with you.....so where does that leave you....:confused:

Coming to CC and complaining about the cruise line and how horrible they were not to help get things sorted.

Now I am not saying that using a storefront TA you could not have the same problem but it seems that more people complain about the discount/online agents.

I am all for saving money but I have to have my comfort zone when dealing with my vacation plans. I need to know my TA will go to bat for me should a problem arise.

Just my $$ worth.

In Oceania's case, since the air fare is usually included, your cruise price may effectively become even more inclusive (air, tips and drinks) than the luxury lines. Isn't that an attractive thought for those who are thrifty?! It is like buying a "kit" with all the parts and do your own assembly, instead of having the item delivered to you.

It is my understanding with Oceania they do not discount their fares like the mass market lines but TA's do offer perks to get your business.

As we have seen when the ship begins to fill the pricing goes from 2for 1 to 40%off to 25% off as the sailing date gets closer.

RCI also does not allow agents to discount their pricing

It is my understanding with Oceania they do not discount their fares like the mass market lines but TA's do offer perks to get your business.

As we have seen when the ship begins to fill the pricing goes from 2for 1 to 40%off to 25% off as the sailing date gets closer.

RCI also does not allow agents to discount their pricing

Ah yes, LHT28, but with the slump in the purchasing power of the USD I wonder if that price fixing might change as the market gets tougher. I certainly hope so.

Ah yes, LHT28, but with the slump in the purchasing power of the USD I wonder if that price fixing might change as the market gets tougher. I certainly hope so.

In a way I am happy with they way O does it

Most cruiselines discount the closer to sailing and if I booked a yr in advance I would be P'od if I didn't get the best deal by booking early.

I don't want to watch every week to see if the price is lower then complain to my TA to get a discount etc....

Life is too short ;)

Cruiseguy and Lahore: Thank you both kindly for your replies. It is nice to see other people doing it the same way.

LHT: What I meant is do everything yourself except for the ticketing, so you do not expect any service from the TA (here meaning ticketing agent instead of travel agent). Then find a discount TA to ticket it for you, and giving you back a substantial portion of the 10% or so commission (this is not a secret) which the cruise line gives them. This way, the TA still gets several percent for just doing the ticketing (which for a couple on a two week cruise can still be several hundred dollars), and you get back the rest (often enough to cover the usual tips and drinks if you don't drink much). Of course, you need to be reasonably familiar with how the process works, and willing to do the "legwork" yourself, but this can be fun, and it gives you the feeling of more direct control besides learning new things. It is like buying a kit and spending less money while putting a little effort into assembling it yourself. It is not difficult and can be interesting, and you get the same end product for less!

Both the method above and paying for a full service (hopefully that actually happens though that is not always guarenteed despite the full payment) travel agent are legitimate. Consumers have a choice, and that is at least one benefit of a free market system!

Cruiseguy and Lahore: Thank you both kindly for your replies. It is nice to see other people doing it the same way.

LHT: What I meant is do everything yourself except for the ticketing, so you do not expect any service from the TA (here meaning ticketing agent instead of travel agent).

I guess we do things differently in Canada than in the USA.

Lyn

Yes LHT28, but part of my plan IS buying well in advance, and still doing it the way Meow describes. Obviously if you leave it too close to departure date (with O anyway) you WILL pay more:and that is certainly not the gameplan.

Yes LHT28, but part of my plan IS buying well in advance, and still doing it the way Meow describes.

I guess if you can book directly with the cruise line for the deposit then look for a deal ..

if it works for you go for it.

P.S. In fact, you can purchase your cruise ticket (including the final payment) directly from the cruise line, only that way you won't get any discount. Paying the final payment through a discount agent is done only as a means to split the commission! I hope this clarifies the problem for LHT.

P.S. In fact, you can purchase your cruise ticket (including the final payment) directly from the cruise line, only that way you won't get any discount. Paying the final payment through a discount agent is done only as a means to split the commission! I hope this clarifies the problem for LHT.

Some day meow, if run into a major problem with the cruise line (which I really hope you dont) but have no one to talk to about solving the situation except a dicount agency....remember this thread...many people do not want to play roulette with their vacation and are willing to pay a few extra dollars for professional help from the beginning, they are not interested in doing all the work and want someone who understands the ins and outs to do it for them..

You are correct that if you are happy with what you do thats great..just dont take the respnsibility of suggesting others not as knowledgeable as you take on that responsibility as they can really get burned!! Have a great trip..

Jan

Although I know I "blow" a little more on vacations than I probably should;) , we worked hard lots of years, educated kids, saved a bit and so now we enjoy it while we can. But my point is...getting the very best deal is a game with my husband. Something to do in retirement that certainly keeps his mind sharp. We laugh at his antics, but we always get the best for less. That said - we don't get as good a deal from ANY discounter than the deal we get from our wonderful TA's. And we research them all. (Yes, we have time to do that and I realize not everyone does.) Our TA's must truly "live" on the job, don't think we've ever waited more than an hour for an answer to any question, and that could be at 10:00 pm. (Isn't email wonderful?) We normally get prepaid gratuities, onboard credits - but most importantly the peace of mind that knowing we have true professionals who know cruising and/or our land trips and how to get what we want. We would 'never leave home without them'!:D

Of course you can book directly with the cruise line and pay a deposit, at least that is the case in the U.S.A.! It has always been.

Some cruislines will not let you book directly we must use a wholesaler that deals with the cruiseline.

Don't forget the internet is world wide and things that happen in the USA may not be the same in other countries.

PPaying the final payment through a discount agent is done only as a means to split the commission! I hope this clarifies the problem for LHT.

It is not a problem for me!

As Jan says sometime people are not willing to "go it alone"

If it works for you that is great...it is not for everyone.

FYI: Some cruise lines do not condone this practice of rebating commissions and will stop selling to that agent/agency.

We normally get prepaid gratuities, onboard credits - but most importantly the peace of mind that knowing we have true professionals who know cruising and/or our land trips and how to get what we want.
If you get prepaid gratuities plus onboard credits and full service, then you have got an effective discounter full service TA, the best of both worlds! Good for you. With competition getting keener, perhaps that will become more common!

Meow - I use a discount TA and also do my own air & hotel. In fact, on our last trip to Rome from LA, we got business class seats through a consolidator on Lufthansa and saved several thousand dollars. Real tickets - not frequent flier awards.

Regarding prepaid gratuities & on board credits, the only thing that really interests me is what's the bottom line cost to me for the cruise.

Leonid: Great for you! As for the bottom line cost, you can calculate the "usual tips", add on the shipboard credits (which can be used for the occasional drinks) and subtract these from the presumed commission, and figure out the bottom line. Some consolidators have an additional 5-10% from the cruise line on top of the usual commission, that makes them more capable of giving you better deals. Shop around and get the best!

Hi - Truthfully, I'm not sure if "O" gives the onboard credit or if our TA does, generally what is offered in the way of amenities for each sailing is advertised on her website. Bear in mind too that we are retired so when we see the itinerary we want, we can select the date when the most amenities are offered. Folks still working don't always have that luxury.

My husband keeps the filefolders (and his method leaves much to be desired) on our trips and he's not here right now for me to check and see

how much we will receive on the booking we have scheduled. I'll try to remember to look up the info as soon as he gets home.

I'm not quick to lavish praise, but I really believe the TA group that we use for Oceania is the best. They can get back to me with info in an hour that would take me 2 weeks - and that would still be waiting for calls to be returned. I want to do the fun stuff myself - planning the excursions, deciding where to have lunch off the ship, etc. But I want the important questions answered by someone who really knows the product.

Thanks Meow, I get what you are saying and appreciate knowing that another traveler thinks like I do. Also I do note that your very first comment was that some folks need/want a good TA from the start which many readers have overlooked : )

Thanks for posting your view!

Archived