Fuel Surcharge

Iamboatman

Carnival announced that across its North American brands (obviously including Seabourn), it is assessing a $5.00 per person per day fuel surcharge on all cruises commencing on or after February 1, 2008. The charge is limited to no more than $70 per voyage and is limited to the first and second passengers only.

I can well understand this surcharge as Mr. M. Arison quoted, in the Seatrade News, "fuel increased 140% over the past 3 years and 50%, the last 7 months." Today fuel surged to $98.62 a barrel.

I will gladly pay the surcharge as I'm sure, other Guests will also.

Martita B.

Carnival announced that across its North American brands (obviously including Seabourn), it is assessing a $5.00 per person per day fuel surcharge on all cruises commencing on or after February 1, 2008. The charge is limited to no more than $70 per voyage and is limited to the first and second passengers only.

Not that it really matters, but curiosity has got the better of me.

If it's limited to $70 per voyage, how do we stand with our 'Grand Voyage' of 56 days next October.

We know this is really a combination of 5 cruises:

Three 7 days followed by 17 days and 18 days. How will the charge be applied?

Steve (with nothing better to think about);)

I was just wondering this morning, as I filled up my car's gas tank and it came to $40 (usually around $25), I wonder if Seabourn is going to do something about the raise in oil prices.

Question answered!

Jane

Wow I wish I could fill my car up for $40 we are now paying approx $10 a gallon:)

deb

Steve,

Wouldn't the surcharge be $70 for each of your 5 cruises? I don't know, but you might call the Club Desk and talk to Wally.

The surcharge goes into effective Feb.1, 2008.

All Carnival ship passengers (according to Micky) will pay the surcharge and I believe the other lines will surely follow "suit."

Happy Sailing

Martita

I can well understand this surcharge as Mr. M. Arison quoted, in the Seatrade News, "fuel increased 140% over the past 3 years and 50%, the last 7 months." Today fuel surged to $98.62 a barrel.

I will gladly pay the surcharge as I'm sure, other Guests will also.

Martita B.

Martha, as usual you are 100% right on this.

Keith

Not that it really matters, but curiosity has got the better of me.

If it's limited to $70 per voyage, how do we stand with our 'Grand Voyage' of 56 days next October.

We know this is really a combination of 5 cruises:

Three 7 days followed by 17 days and 18 days. How will the charge be applied?

Steve (with nothing better to think about);)

I actually was going to post that very question when I started this thread, but figured I was over-thinking things. I think you should look at how it is marketed (as Seabourn does have 7,14,21,28 day itineraries inclusive of the same cruises)and go with the longest one. You may wind up with 2 14 day charges, but it is still peanuts compared to the costs.

From what I have read, it actually represents only about 1/3 of Carnival's increased costs.

I actually was going to post that very question when I started this thread, but figured I was over-thinking things. I think you should look at how it is marketed (as Seabourn does have 7,14,21,28 day itineraries inclusive of the same cruises)and go with the longest one. You may wind up with 2 14 day charges, but it is still peanuts compared to the costs.

From what I have read, it actually represents only about 1/3 of Carnival's increased costs.

Thanks Eric,

The cruise we have purchased is marketed by Seabourn as 56 days "Wonders of the World II", so using your logic we should be okay. (don't worry, we won't hold you to it;) ). Anything could happen in 12 months. The price of oil may even go down!!!

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve,

Wouldn't the surcharge be $70 for each of your 5 cruises? I don't know, but you might call the Club Desk and talk to Wally.

Happy Sailing

Martita

Hi Marita,

Thanks for your reply. What is the Club Desk? Is it something to do with past cruisers of Seabourn. This will be our first cruise. (Or is that our first 5 cruises?;) )

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve,

The Seabourn Club Desk is one of my favorite Dept.'s at Blue Lagoon Dr., in Miami, our headquarters. Wally is the manager and is a super fellow! If you have any questions, please feel free to call and visit with Mr. Wally ~~~just because you are not quite yet an official Club member I know Wally would be happy to answer any/all questions for you!:p

Congratulations on your 56 day Grand Voyage and Welcome to our Seabourn family!

Martita B.

The official letter I got today from Carnival says and I quote "not to exceed $70 per person per voyage"

So that sounds like per sailing - but as they say - who knows what can change in the future based on oil changes. I was happy about the effective date though since we are sailing soon or are exempt!

As I posted above, "I will gladly pay the $70, per sailing, to continue to cruise!":) (isn't it $5 per day not to exceed $70?) The surge in oil prices will affect all of us in the future, in many ways ~~~~I'm guessing the Seabourn sailor's will simply say, "wellll, that's life" and continue to book whether it be on a Seabourn Yacht or another cruise line.

Certainly all cruise lines will be adding a surcharge ~~as will airlines, the trucking lines, etc. In my opinion, I don't believe the price of oil per barrel will come down too much in the next few months~~~ As I live in West Texas we are familiar with the oil/gas business.

lvtotrvl1,

Aren't you a Travel Agent?

Happy Sailing ~~smooth seas and blue skies:p

Martita B.

Dear Mr. Norris,

*** has received a very important notification from Seabourn regarding your upcoming cruise. The notification reads as follows:

"We want to inform you that, because of rapidly escalating fuel prices, Seabourn has implemented a fuel supplement of $5 per person per day. The fuel supplement, which applies to the first and second guests in a stateroom only, is not to exceed $70 per person per voyage and is effective on all new and existing bookings for voyages departing on or after February 1, 2008. Implementing this fuel surcharge was a difficult decision but one that we feel was necessary in today’s challenging economic environment.

Sincerely,

Jack Anderson

Executive Director

World’s Leading Cruise Lines"

Still no word on exactly how much for our 56 day voyage.

Why don't you have your TA simply call Seabourn???

OK, you don't have to.:D I was on with Seabourn for another matter and if you have one booking number for the entire 56 day cruise you are capped at $70 per person. If you have 2 or more booking numbers you are going to be charged for each leg. Hopefully you have one booking number.

Why don't you have your TA simply call Seabourn???

Eric,

You're so good at acting as our virtual T/A.

Seriously, thanks for finding out. We do have a single booking number.

I hadn't seen any official confirmation from Seabourn until now, hence the previous post.

I can completely understand the fuel surcharge and in truth I think it is totally reasonable. I just can't help but wonder if instead of going up as they did fuel prices had miraculously fallen after my final payment and before the cruise would I receive a shipboard $70 credit?

Just stirring the pot, Devil's advocate style. :)

Archived