Audio Books

LynnAB

While I could not either of those two, I did get The Water is Wide. Just started it.

That is Pat's first book. It is the story of his year teaching on "yamacraw" really Dafuskie island . It was made into the movie Conrack with John Voight.

I have both his latest and Dick Francis's latest, Even Money on hold from Overdrive for my cruise.

I'm a librarian and I also love Playaways, which are really preloaded mp3 players.

That is Pat's first book. It is the story of his year teaching on "yamacraw" really Dafuskie island . It was made into the movie Conrack with John Voight.

I have both his latest and Dick Francis's latest, Even Money on hold from Overdrive for my cruise.

I'm a librarian and I also love Playaways, which are really preloaded mp3 players.

That's interesting about Playaways. I wonder if they have them in South Florida. I've never seen them.

I just picked up Beach Music from my library today (CDs). I'm sooooo excited. Apparently it's LONG, too, since it's 25 disks.

Have you read Beach Music?

I used to read Dick Francis books years and years ago and used to love them.

We have playaways in two libraries I frequent. They are really nice. In the libraries here they can also come with a wireless adapter that coincides with a radio frequency for car use (they don't work quite so well, as they tend to fade and give some distortion). My car does have a MP3 player input that I connect to the playaway headphone jack for easy listening. The only knock I have with tehm is the limited amount of titles I have to choose from...

Don't recall seeing you post in the blog before...if you have not, then welcome. If you have then sorry for my oversight. Thanks also for the Dick Francis nod. Feel free to chip in as much as you would like!

Don't recall seeing you post in the blog before...if you have not, then welcome. If you have then sorry for my oversight. Thanks also for the Dick Francis nod. Feel free to chip in as much as you would like!

Thanks for the welcome. I have posted on other book related discussions, but just found this one. Dick Francis is one of my favorite authors and Simon Preble usually narrates the audio and I adore him.

That's interesting about Playaways. I wonder if they have them in South Florida. I've never seen them.

I just picked up Beach Music from my library today (CDs). I'm sooooo excited. Apparently it's LONG, too, since it's 25 disks.

Have you read Beach Music?

I used to read Dick Francis books years and years ago and used to love them.

They do have playaways in Miami Dade county library. I don't know about other places in So FL.

I read and listened to Beach Music & loved it. I'm hoping South of Broad is as good. With library funding the way it is right now, fewer copies of popular titles are being ordered,so I just hope I get what I want for my cruise.

They do have playaways in Miami Dade county library. I don't know about other places in So FL.

I read and listened to Beach Music & loved it. I'm hoping South of Broad is as good. With library funding the way it is right now, fewer copies of popular titles are being ordered,so I just hope I get what I want for my cruise.

Two of the libraries that I frequent (not my town's but near where I work) have started migrating some of their new audio books to the playaways. As you mentioned, the new influx has slowed somewhat with tough times.

Lynn, while it is not a kindle, I received a Sony Ebook for my birthday from our kids. Have not had a chance to download anything yet. Sony has a site to download from, where do you get you downloadable e-books from?

Wow, Jim! Congrats on getting a Sony E-Reader for your birthday. If you're anything like me, you'll LOVE it. Of course it's not for using while you're driving to work, but that's where the audiobooks come in. BUT ... I use my Kindle far more than audiobooks actually ... sitting around in between jobs at work, at home, etc. I think you're really going to ENJOY it. I buy my ebooks from Amazon (you'll have to use Sony's site) and download lots of free classics from manybooks.net and gutenberg.org.

BTW, I got the audiobook of Beach Music (Pat Conroy) from the library yesterday. I have to finish a short book I'm listening to first, though, and then I'll be listening to Beach Music. It's 25 CDs!!!

Have fun with your new toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the BEST way to carry around a library of books.

Wow, Jim! Congrats on getting a Sony E-Reader for your birthday. If you're anything like me, you'll LOVE it. Of course it's not for using while you're driving to work, but that's where the audiobooks come in. BUT ... I use my Kindle far more than audiobooks actually ... sitting around in between jobs at work, at home, etc. I think you're really going to ENJOY it. I buy my ebooks from Amazon (you'll have to use Sony's site) and download lots of free classics from manybooks.net and gutenberg.org.

BTW, I got the audiobook of Beach Music (Pat Conroy) from the library yesterday. I have to finish a short book I'm listening to first, though, and then I'll be listening to Beach Music. It's 25 CDs!!!

Have fun with your new toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the BEST way to carry around a library of books.

Cool beans, let me know how you enjoy Beach Music, just finished The Water is Wide and really enjoyed it. I would highly recommend it. Just started Finding Noel by Richard Paul Evans.

Showing my ignorance here, but I could get books from Amazon for my Sony (the would not work)?

Cool beans, let me know how you enjoy Beach Music, just finished The Water is Wide and really enjoyed it. I would highly recommend it. Just started Finding Noel by Richard Paul Evans.

Showing my ignorance here, but I could get books from Amazon for my Sony (the would not work)?

I don't believe so. As I understand it, Amazon's downloads are proprietary for Kindle. That is the biggest drawback I see with different readers. On the other side of the coin, I can't get Sony's books either.

Hey Jim, I'm envious. I want a kindle for my cruise but no can do right now.

Overdrive sells a package to libraries with e-books as well as audio and I understand some of them are compatable with the Sony Reader. Check that out too.

I just started reading Dick Francis' SECOND WIND. I've only read a few pages, so I can't comment. This DOES sound like a book I'll love with the hurricanes and Caribbean.

I just began listening to BEACH MUSIC on my way to work today and already love it. It just draws you right in, doesn't it? I'm sooooo happy to have a LONG book to listen to when I'm driving around.

Jim,

I'm loving BEACH MUSIC so far.

How is FINDING NOEL?

I just got notified that one of my e-audio books is ready for download-my cruise must be close!!:) Next week is our library booksale, so I'll pick up a buch of paperbacks for $2.00 on Sunday. Now I just hope South of Broad & Even Money are ready for me before we leave,

Cindy

Uh .... Jim .... I'm feeling dumb here asking you how FINDING NOEL is. I read it last October. It's a good thing I'm keeping a spreadsheet of books, I guess.

Anyway, how are YOU enjoying the book???

Just finished it yesterday. I enjoyed it. Read by the author. There are a couple of his I have not read yet. Listening to two different ones right now. Ten Thousand Islands by Randy Wayne White on MP3 player download and Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown on CD. Long story as to the different media types but both are interesting (switch listening...one going to work, the other coming home).