Audio Books

LynnAB

What an author!!! Conroy amazes me with his storytelling.

I am on Disc 11. So much is happening. I'm past the shooting in the Rome airport. Wow, that was wild.

I'm listening whenever I can now because I have to hear what's going to happen next.

George? I don't "know" George yet, do I?

Jack's father in law....you will get to know him. Almost done, will finish it today.

Jack's father in law....you will get to know him. Almost done, will finish it today.

Of course I just got to GEORGE right now <g>. I'm at the point where Jack and his daughter first ran into George and Ruth after returning to South Carolina .... Disc 12. Moving right along ... of course, I have to WORK at some point, too <lol>.

Oh! I forgot to mention that I LOVED the part for Jack was visiting all the books on the shelf and commented how he reads for the sound of the words even more than the story. I know I'm paraphrasing a big. That is how I feel about Pat Conroy's books, remember? It's the SOUND and the COMBINATION of words and the imagery that I am so enthralled with!!!

Oh! I forgot to mention that I LOVED the part for Jack was visiting all the books on the shelf and commented how he reads for the sound of the words even more than the story. I know I'm paraphrasing a big. That is how I feel about Pat Conroy's books, remember? It's the SOUND and the COMBINATION of words and the imagery that I am so enthralled with!!!

Yes he certainly does do that well. I went on line last night and looked at his works. Did not know that he also wrote "the Great Santini" which was made into a movie as well. Actually released under two different titles as a movie. Starring Blythe Danner and Robert Duvall.

Yes he certainly does do that well. I went on line last night and looked at his works. Did not know that he also wrote "the Great Santini" which was made into a movie as well. Actually released under two different titles as a movie. Starring Blythe Danner and Robert Duvall.

Yes, I saw he wrote The Great Santini, but I haven't found it in audio format yet.

Once I finish Beach Music I am reading South of Broad on my ebook (first read on it) and listening to Princes of Tides on my MP3 player. Guess I am hooked on Conroy for a while.

I'm hooked, too ... and also have Prince of Tides to listen to <g>.

OMG! I would soooooooooo hate to be in that family.

That sounds true. Also read somewhere that his immediate family was really PO'd of how they are portrayed in some of his books (specifically "The Great Santini"). There were some other interesting tidbits that we cannot discuss till you finish.

Edited by jimbo5544

That sounds true. Also read somewhere that his immediate family was really PO'd of how they are portrayed in some of his books (specifically "The Great Santini"). There were some other interesting tidbits that we cannot discuss till you finish.

I'm on Disc 16. This book sure turned "rough" after the beautiful beginning in Italy <g>. I want to go back to Italy <lol>.

I'm on Disc 16. This book sure turned "rough" after the beautiful beginning in Italy <g>. I want to go back to Italy <lol>.

It sure did, didn't it. Pretty heavy duty, but hope springs eternal there is light at the end of the tunnel

It sure did, didn't it. Pretty heavy duty, but hope springs eternal there is light at the end of the tunnel

Okay, Jim ...

I finished Beach Music. I am overwhelmed, exhausted, and totally drained. I cannot believe all that happened in that book.

I am ready to discuss anything ... or will be after I have calmed down and regrouped. Wow, but that book got to me.

Lynn

Okay, Jim ...

I finished Beach Music. I am overwhelmed, exhausted, and totally drained. I cannot believe all that happened in that book.

I am ready to discuss anything ... or will be after I have calmed down and regrouped. Wow, but that book got to me.

Lynn

Sorry, we are in our condo in Ft. Myers this week with limited internet availability. So let's talk about Beach Music! By the way, I am 1/4 the way thru South of Broad on my Ebook. Will be off the internet for a couple of hours. Check back later.

Sorry, we are in our condo in Ft. Myers this week with limited internet availability. So let's talk about Beach Music! By the way, I am 1/4 the way thru South of Broad on my Ebook. Will be off the internet for a couple of hours. Check back later.

Nice. I hope you enjoyed your vacation in Florida. It's good you're not doing it this week. We're having cool weather .... well, for us. WE love it, but visitors probably come down here for warmer weather. To me it is PERFECT.

Okay ... Let's start with Beach Music.

Some of my comments are ...

1. Again, as much as the book disturbed me on so many levels, I have to say that this is one of the best, most well written books I have ever "read." Pat Conroy's use of language blew me away at every turn.

2. As far as the CHARACTERS, they sure made for interesting reading ... BUT ... they were just tooooooooooooooo messed up, too dysfunctional, and too damaged IN MY OPINION to ever resolve their issues at the end of the book. I realize everything didn't work out, but Jordan and his father, the General? Come on! HOW HOW HOW could Jordan ever find it in his heart to "get over" what his father had done to him? I didn't find that really plausible ... or maybe I'm not a saint and Jordan was. Then again, I could NEVER treat my child the way Jordan's father treated him.

3. Lucy's death saddened me soooooooooo much and made me relive what I went through with MY mother. You know, listening to that hurt my heart beyond belief, but it was incredibly realistic (except for John Harden's "gift" to her).

Okay ... that should get you started <g>. YOUR TURN <lol>.

Nice. I hope you enjoyed your vacation in Florida. It's good you're not doing it this week. We're having cool weather .... well, for us. WE love it, but visitors probably come down here for warmer weather. To me it is PERFECT.

Okay ... Let's start with Beach Music.

Some of my comments are ...

1. Again, as much as the book disturbed me on so many levels, I have to say that this is one of the best, most well written books I have ever "read." Pat Conroy's use of language blew me away at every turn.

2. As far as the CHARACTERS, they sure made for interesting reading ... BUT ... they were just tooooooooooooooo messed up, too dysfunctional, and too damaged IN MY OPINION to ever resolve their issues at the end of the book. I realize everything didn't work out, but Jordan and his father, the General? Come on! HOW HOW HOW could Jordan ever find it in his heart to "get over" what his father had done to him? I didn't find that really plausible ... or maybe I'm not a saint and Jordan was. Then again, I could NEVER treat my child the way Jordan's father treated him.

3. Lucy's death saddened me soooooooooo much and made me relive what I went through with MY mother. You know, listening to that hurt my heart beyond belief, but it was incredibly realistic (except for John Harden's "gift" to her).

Okay ... that should get you started <g>. YOUR TURN <lol>.

Florida was really hot last week, much more so than normal. Would have preferred it to be this week, but I do have a tan!

Lucy's death was realistic and I thought he did it justice in terms of the way he got it across. I did think of you as I listened to it. I did spend some time thinking about Jordan and his father. At first, I thought the whole thing a little unbelievable. But with Jordan being a priest, I kind of liked the way he was able to "rise" above the personal hurt portion. John Harden being based upon one of Conroy's brothers was VERY interesting. In the P.S. where they talked about Conroy, I thought it extremely interesting in that he original wrote John Harden out as committing suicide only to have it happen to his brother in real life and then find the need to recant and change it in the book. He is an excellent story teller and weaves the reader (listener) into the story so much it is amazing.

Before I forget, yesterday I was just vegging out watching TV on a cold rainy day and doing my normal channel surfing when what so I run across was the movie version of "The water is wide" Conrack with John Voight. Boy did they chop off about 1/3 of the book.

I am about 1/4 of the way through South of Broad on my Sony E-reader.

Hi, Jim,

I'm hoping everything is okay since you haven't commented on my finishing Beach Music yet. I'm thinking maybe you're on another cruise. If you are, I'm jealous <g>.

Lynn, I can only assume you are deep in work. Give me a shout when you can discuss Beach Music.

Jim

Lynn, I can only assume you are deep in work. Give me a shout when you can discuss Beach Music.

Jim

Good timing, Jim! I just got home from a quick depo today and was signing on to write to YOU.

I have such mixed feelings about Beach Music because it was soooo well written and sooooo full of amazing stories ... but it sure didn't have me "closing the book" in a happy mood, I must say.

How is South of Broad? I'm sure you've finished that by now, too. I'm not rushing into it because I've gotten into listening to M.C. Beaton's cozy mysteries. I'm in a marathon of her Agatha Raisin cozies that are just light and fluffy enough where I don't have to get emotionally involved <g>.

AND .................... how do you like your Sony? I have been waiting for your review since I am completely addicted to reading on my Kindle.

Florida was really hot last week, much more so than normal. Would have preferred it to be this week, but I do have a tan!

Lucy's death was realistic and I thought he did it justice in terms of the way he got it across. I did think of you as I listened to it. I did spend some time thinking about Jordan and his father. At first, I thought the whole thing a little unbelievable. But with Jordan being a priest, I kind of liked the way he was able to "rise" above the personal hurt portion. John Harden being based upon one of Conroy's brothers was VERY interesting. In the P.S. where they talked about Conroy, I thought it extremely interesting in that he original wrote John Harden out as committing suicide only to have it happen to his brother in real life and then find the need to recant and change it in the book. He is an excellent story teller and weaves the reader (listener) into the story so much it is amazing.

Before I forget, yesterday I was just vegging out watching TV on a cold rainy day and doing my normal channel surfing when what so I run across was the movie version of "The water is wide" Conrack with John Voight. Boy did they chop off about 1/3 of the book.

I am about 1/4 of the way through South of Broad on my Sony E-reader.

I forgot to mention that I agree 100% with you about Lucy. Her whole story was amazing and the way she acted was realistic based on her whole background. John Harden's "gift" to her flipped me out, though, as did the whole story of her dying. You're right. It WAS realistic. In fact, it was way toooooooooooooooo realistic based on some of what I experienced with my mother. I definitely relived it again and again, which is part of why the book was so hard for me.

Again, I am NOT criticizing Conroy's writing and/or book. They are fabulous .... just too tough for me. The parts in Germany are just toooooooooooooo hard to listen to. That's just ME, though. You know how sensitive I am. When most people are watching the latest drama/horror movie, I surround myself with romantic comedies.

Good timing, Jim! I just got home from a quick depo today and was signing on to write to YOU.

I have such mixed feelings about Beach Music because it was soooo well written and sooooo full of amazing stories ... but it sure didn't have me "closing the book" in a happy mood, I must say.

How is South of Broad? I'm sure you've finished that by now, too. I'm not rushing into it because I've gotten into listening to M.C. Beaton's cozy mysteries. I'm in a marathon of her Agatha Raisin cozies that are just light and fluffy enough where I don't have to get emotionally involved <g>.

AND .................... how do you like your Sony? I have been waiting for your review since I am completely addicted to reading on my Kindle.

I do like the Sony E-reader. It does take a little getting used to. Have not made all that much progress on South of Broad since I last posted. It is good, not quite as good as Beach Music. More dysfunctional families....not as bad as Beach Music however.

Know what you mean about closing the book in a not too happy mood. Kind of like Rich Man Poor Man kind of thing (the Irwin Shaw book).

I forgot to mention that I agree 100% with you about Lucy. Her whole story was amazing and the way she acted was realistic based on her whole background. John Harden's "gift" to her flipped me out, though, as did the whole story of her dying. You're right. It WAS realistic. In fact, it was way toooooooooooooooo realistic based on some of what I experienced with my mother. I definitely relived it again and again, which is part of why the book was so hard for me.

Again, I am NOT criticizing Conroy's writing and/or book. They are fabulous .... just too tough for me. The parts in Germany are just toooooooooooooo hard to listen to. That's just ME, though. You know how sensitive I am. When most people are watching the latest drama/horror movie, I surround myself with romantic comedies.

I thought that as I listened to them....knew they would bother you. Heck, it would bother anybody...or it should. South of Broad has nothing like that (so far at least).