eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww

I have no experience working in hotels, but from my restaurant days I have seen too many things I just refuse to think about to stay sane. One tip: Never ever send something back to the kitchen. I don't care how much I spend on a meal, if it's not done right, I deal with it without complaint. :(

And never be nasty or get angry with anyone handling your food. They will usually have the last laugh!

I drink bottled water only and only rinse my mouth with mouthwash NOT water from the tap,

Maybe you haven't been paying attention to the news lately. Most bottled waters are nothing more than tap water from whatever city the bottling plant is in (sold at highly inflated prices). In a way, that is probably a good thing. Most tap water has at least been treated. As a geologist in the environmental field I can tell you that much of water from private wells and springs is not safe. I have seen people stop at a spring on the side of the road to fill up bottles of spring water. Well, that spring is located at the bottom of a hill - and at the top of the hill is a landfill. Yuck!

If I have to do all of this then I will stay at home. Too much work.:)

Takes no time at all. Several minutes to throw the comforter off, shake the headboard. Several minutes to check the mattress. One minute to wipe down remote etc.

I don't trust the bathtub being cleaned out well enough between occupants. Quite a few people have fungus on their feet.

The dead Vegas body story I heard on the Phx news.

Laura

Sept 1, 2007 Philadelphia Daily News

NYC cops hunt for fugitive who left body under bed in hotel

Police are searching for a fugitive sex offender who checked out of a run-down Times Square hotel on Wednesday, and may have left a woman's dead body under the bed, in his room. The corpse, wrapped in plastic bags, was discovered Thursday by a chambermaid at the Hotel Carter who reached beneath a bed and felt a foot. The woman had been beaten and strangled.

Police officials announced that they were looking for the room's last registered occupant, Clarence Dean, who departed abruptly Wednesday afternoon after a nearly two-week stay. Dean, 35, is no stranger to police. He was required to register as a sex offender at his last known address, a motel in Alabaster, Ala., because of an attempted lewd act involving a child under age 12, committed in the mid 1990s. * - Daily News wire services

I've heard the vegas urban legend myself, that's not to say that it doesn't really happen. Rarely, however, is a body "misplaced" under a bed and not found by the maids...they've heard the legend, too. They normally check under the bed for lost items or anything that could have rolled under there.

I drink bottled water only and only rinse my mouth with mouthwash NOT water from the tap, on an airplane, a cruise ship or in a hotel!!!

I read a post here about checking the seal on the bottled water in hotel rooms and ship cabins. And I can tell you that we found THREE opened bottles of water this summer alone. Someone drank out of it and refilled it so they wouldn't be charged. :eek:

So just be careful that the seal isn't broken.

I read a post here about checking the seal on the bottled water in hotel rooms and ship cabins. And I can tell you that we found THREE opened bottles of water this summer alone. Someone drank out of it and refilled it so they wouldn't be charged. :eek:

So just be careful that the seal isn't broken.

Good grief, is there ANYTHING safe these days??:eek: :D

Good grief, is there ANYTHING safe these days??:eek: :D

No...lol.

And that was just in hotel rooms (Atlantis, Paradise Island being one of them)

If you buy water in a port, you always have to check the seal because the locals *may* be refilling used bottles with tap water. I was warned about this to be careful, especially in Cozumel.

I've heard the vegas urban legend myself, that's not to say that it doesn't really happen. Rarely, however, is a body "misplaced" under a bed and not found by the maids...they've heard the legend, too. They normally check under the bed for lost items or anything that could have rolled under there.

I swear I heard it a while back on the news so I don't think I would be confusing it with the NYC body.

In Vegas I bet there are some gamblers with big debts though that are wasted. I really doubt anyone in those cases would take the time to put a body under the bed.

As far as the water bottles..how low can you go?

Laura

When researching hotels, I check a couple of different review sites (and I try to leave reviews when we stay someplace.) We typically pay a good penny to stay in a more upscale hotel (not that these things don't happen at upscale hotels, though) and I try to find places that are either brand new, fairly new of recently renovated.

The worse hotel we have stayed in was the Clarion in Chattanooga, TN (actually, we checked out before staying overnight) and the Chattanooga Choo Choo (Holiday Inn had taken over, but they are working on a multi-million dollar renovation) and a hotel in New Orleans before our cruise in February (can't remember the name.) Our last hotel stay in Baltimore was an Embassy Suite. It was just OK, and I did use the glasses. I even checked them out and they had dust on them, so I rinsed them briefly. The coffee maker was pretty dirty, too. From now on, no glasses for me!

I am not looking forward to our stay in Rome, because the affordable hotels look pretty bad to me. :rolleyes:

I am not looking forward to our stay in Rome, because the affordable hotels look pretty bad to me. :rolleyes:

I don't know much about the hotels in Rome because we flew there and we were transferred to the port the same day, but our DD & SIL toured European cities on an extended land-based vacation and they were surprised that they had to share a bathroom with other hotel guests at each of the hotels they stayed in Rome, Paris and Amsterdam. They paid a higher price so they didn't expect it. :confused:

On our last cruise on Explorer I was looking under the sofa for a lost shoe and I found all kinds of old stuff, empty liquor bottles, plates, napkins, utensils, underneath. The room steward blamed it on the kids in there the week before. At least it wasn't a body.

The water bottle thing is quite interesting, thanks for that.

Archived