ID for Children

spooly

I read on Carnival's web site that everybody needs a picture ID AND their sign and sail card to get back on the ship from the islands. Is this really true? We are taking our 11 year old and don't know what kind of picture ID he could have other than his passport. Also, speaking of passports, will we need to take them off the ship with us for any of the South Carribean islands? This is what I got from their web site...

Because the ship is closed to the public while docked at the various ports-of-call, you’ll have to show your Sail & Sign Card and picture I.D. to the officer on duty in order to return on board.

although we have a passport for our soon to be 13 year old daughter we also have a STATE ISSUED I.D. CARD. You get it from the state license bureau. It is like a drivers liscense with there picture and all, and cost about 8 dollars. Both parents have to be present to get one for the child. AAA motor club told us to get one. It is also linked to the national data base of driver liscences so if for some reason you lose your child they can pull her picture up on there computers, you see I carry it with me everywhere. (better than reading about her on a milk carton),

My 6-year-old DD was NOT required to have any picture ID to get on and off the ship. Also my friend's daughters (5 and 7) did not even have Passports to get on the ship - only their Birth Certificates - and had no problem there either. We cruised to Mexico, not the Caribbean, so I don't really know about the Passport issues there, but as far as picture ID to get back on the ship, just the S&S card alone is fine for your daughter.

Have a great trip.

Once the passport requirement goes into effect, even infants will need a passport - http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html. Best get prepared.
;) OP already has a passport for their child; this was a question about whether they also needed a separate picture ID for an 11 YO to use getting on and off the ship. The answer is no.

Most cruiselines only required a photo ID when reboarding from 16 and older. When first boarding the ship and using the S&S card, the ship takes a photo of each passenger including children. They can clearly see when the S&S card is entered if the person is the correct person because their boarding photo pops up. Usually, my photo ID has only been checked (& compared to my S&S card) before getting to the actual line to reboard, like at the country's security check point on the way to the pier. But I do like the idea of getting a state-issued photo ID, even though DS is only 6. We already have the passports.

Most cruiselines only required a photo ID when reboarding from 16 and older. When first boarding the ship and using the S&S card, the ship takes a photo of each passenger including children. They can clearly see when the S&S card is entered if the person is the correct person because their boarding photo pops up. Usually, my photo ID has only been checked (& compared to my S&S card) before getting to the actual line to reboard, like at the country's security check point on the way to the pier. But I do like the idea of getting a state-issued photo ID, even though DS is only 6. We already have the passports.

On our recent cruise on Mariner when we went ashore it was the Shore Authorities who insisted that everyone has photo ID in addition to seapass. At our first port of call we were never informed of this and when everyone went to the gangway we were all sent back to get photo ID. You can only imagine the queues to get back on the lifts and the "tut

tutting" that went on. It would appear that this wa a fairly new system even to the captain as otherwise we would have been informed of the regulation at our first port of call.

Take your passport, or some other form of photo off the ship, otherwise you will not be allowed ashore.

On other ports of call we were advised of this necessity in our cruise compass that morning.

In Hawai'i, at EACH PORT, we were required to have a gov't photo ID and ship card for security to look at while still on the excursion bus prior to proceeding to the bus loading zone at the pier; where they looked at them again at the security screening check point. When we finally boarded they swiped our ship card to let us on.

Last time I check, Hawai'i was still a State in the USA.:cool:

Archived