Captains Club News

jackdiamond

I called today and was underwhelmed by the service rep. She was nice, but very uninformed. Said that she had no idea why mailed copies were intermittent and didn't know when it would be available online.

However, she did look up the coupon for the cruise I have booked that is listed. She gave me the rules and code. It is typical of Celebrity in that it has a booking window you must fall in to get the coupon. You must book between 10/1 and 12/31/07 to get the benefit. I will ask my TA about it as she was able to get one coupon applied some time ago, but I am not hopeful. And the price for my cabin is now $550 per person more than I paid so I sure ain't gonna cancel and rebook to get the coupon.

The Captain's Club has offers from time-to-time. They usually publish a newsletter 3-4 times a year. Normally they can be found on the web site, but the current one is not there yet.

In the newsletter, they have coupons for discounts on selected sailings and cabins. Generous posters have listed what is in the current newsletter. The catch is that they are intended for new bookings and have a time frame when the booking must be made to get the discount. In my case, the price has gone up more than the coupon is worth so it would not be good for me to cancel my reservation and re-book. However, sometimes that works out OK.

If you have completed one sailing with Celebrity, you can join the Captain's Club. You can find contact information on the web site.

Check out post #19 and see if your cruise is listed. If it is, compare the price you see today with what you paid. If the coupon is worth more than any difference, you should consider canceling and re-booking. Or, if you like, you can try to get Celebrity to apply the coupon to your current reservation but while that's possible, it isn't likely.

For what its worth,when I called the Captains Club last week I was told that the coupons can be applied to any cruise made after OCT 1 since there is a delay on Celebrity's part getting 'em out...................Frank:)

The Captain's Club has offers from time-to-time. They usually publish a newsletter 3-4 times a year. Normally they can be found on the web site, but the current one is not there yet.

In the newsletter, they have coupons for discounts on selected sailings and cabins. Generous posters have listed what is in the current newsletter. The catch is that they are intended for new bookings and have a time frame when the booking must be made to get the discount. In my case, the price has gone up more than the coupon is worth so it would not be good for me to cancel my reservation and re-book. However, sometimes that works out OK.

If you have completed one sailing with Celebrity, you can join the Captain's Club. You can find contact information on the web site.

Check out post #19 and see if your cruise is listed. If it is, compare the price you see today with what you paid. If the coupon is worth more than any difference, you should consider canceling and re-booking. Or, if you like, you can try to get Celebrity to apply the coupon to your current reservation but while that's possible, it isn't likely.

Thanks Bob

Margie,

One would think that they were rewards (or should be), but almost all of the coupons I've seen have had the booking date restriction in the fine print. And, as I said, the Captain's Club rep read me the details from the coupon and the restriction is on this batch.

Sometimes you can talk them into it and sometimes you can't. I don't remember exactly how many times this has come up for me, but I think it was about 4 times and I got only one approved.

You don't usually find them on cruises that are selling well, so I think they are more a tool to sell rooms than a reward. Let's face it, Celebrity does not have particularly good perks for Captain's Club.

RCL does much better since they will give up to $150 per person discount on balcony/suites to Diamond members. Celebrity Elite gets one category upgrades on interior or exterior cabins. Worth less than $50 in most cases and doesn't allow anything for balconies or higher. And I won't even start comparing other perks. Still, I really like Celebrity and we have more cruises with them than RCL (and 2 of our 3 for next year are on X and 1 is RCL). So I'm not slamming them, just noting that their repeat traveler perks aren't so good.

I got mine either Friday or Saturday, since I was away and just picked up the mail today.

The funny thing it, it states our last cruise with them was Transatlantic 2007. Now I've never been on a Transatlantic cruise. We just got off Constellation last Monday but it was Canada/New England.

Oh well....

I received my CC News yesterday, & coincidentally also received a Crown & anchor mailing from Royal Caribbean. Each have discount coupons for future sailings. Celebrity's coupons are for $50 to $75 oceanview, $75 to $100 for verandah, & $100 to $125 for CC & suites, while Royal Caribbean's are for $75 to $115 for interior cabins & $150 to $225 for oceanview & above.

I just don't understand why Royal Caribbean perks are consistently so much better than those offered by Celebrity. :confused:

I chatted with those folks today; and, they indicated that they were being sent out in batches, instead of all of them being mailed at the same time. The representative indicated that they did not wish to be unfair to the Post Office. In reply to your anticipated inquiries my response is simply "no comment".

Still no Captaians magazine.

The answer that Celebrity did not "wish to be unfair to the PO" is not really acceptable, they should add, "but we do not mind being unfair to our loyal passengers"!!!!!!

As for the coupons, they certainly do not seem to be "rewards" just another sales ploy, and only for the higher priced cabins.

Whilst I understand the "fuel surcharge" I do wonder about the "logo item" what tacky piece of junk will I have to throw in the waste bin in my cabin on my next trip ?

Perhaps they could save money for fuel by doing away with all those glossy pieces of paper we get in the cabin for art auctions, wine auctions, and Steiners spa. (another overpriced and hard sell/fleece the unsuspecting innocents on board) I am happy to pay for my luxury sessions (massages/facials or whatever) but resent very strongly the sales pitches that come with these, even after I have said "NO SALES PITCH PLEASE".

• 1 month later...

The newsletter is available on-line. Go to Captains Club, login, and select Special Offers. There is the Fall Newsletter. However, and this is big, there are no coupons with the on-line newsletter.

And my cruise is on the list. Will have to give them a call - soon. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I called the Captain's Club last week, and the very nice lady told me our newsletter is in the mail - had been mailed in a batch 2 weeks prior.

I'm still looking.

What coupons are in the Winter Newsletter?

My coupons say book btw 1-1-08 and 3-3-08

$100/ $75/ $50 (CC & Suites/ Veranda/ Ocean View)

7 night Alaska

Mercury 7-13, 20; 8-3

Infininty 5-16,23

Millie 8-22

9 night Austr/NZ

Millie 11-14

9-10 night Europe

Century 10-10

Galaxy 11-24

Connie 4-24

$125/$100/$75 off

11-12-14 night Europe

Connie 5-3; 6-28

Galaxy 11-24; 12-5

Century 5-17, 29

12-14-15 night Aust/NZ

Millie 10-17; 11-2; 12-7

14 night TA

Connie 9-9

Galaxy 12-5

$300 off all categories Azamara

10-16 night Europe

Journey 5-12,24; 6-21; 7-19; 8-16, 30

Quest 4-25; 5-5, 16; 6--1, 25; 7-19; 8-14

All of these dates are 2008

Still no Captains Club Magazine, (Elite member) I have E mailed, and phoned Captains Club.

Last phone call the staffer said "someone has totally changed your address that is why you have not received a mailing"

Told me she had re instated the correct address and a request that I be sent a replacement copy. That was weeks ago. Still nothing.

Service from all staff is getting worse. Pity I really loved Celebrity, but now they just cannot be bothered to be "special" when they can get away being "like any run of the mill cruise line " while charging Celebrity prices.

Forget Azmara, they are just smaller versions of NCL or Carnival under another name. You can fool some of the people all of the time it seems.

Archived