Do you think of the current Zuiderdam pax ........

sail7seas

Right now I'm sitting in my living room down in Jacksonville Florida about 150 miles from the worst of the hurricane winds, it's 10:30pm. and we've lost electricity twice for about 4 hours total today. Winds have snapped two trees off next door and I have watched our pecan trees really scare me all day. Can't imagine what person would want the captain to bring the cruise ship in closer to the storm area.

Jim

Jim - Good to hear from you. Glad to hear you and yours are okay.

I heard that Port Canaveral sustained some damage, and the Mariner of the Seas will be coming into Miami instead of PC on Tuesday. I am not aware of what other ships may be effected. I sail the Mariner on the 19th of this month, that is why I keep an eye on what is happening with her.

Marie

To Lois, I really feel for what you're going thru this week. We did the same last week. One minute, we're going, the next minute its iffy at best. Thursday morning, we decided there was no way we'd be able to cruise Sat., then HAL announced delay until Sun. We got our air arrangements changed we were leaving Friday and staying at the Pier 66, but they cancelled our reservation before we could call them. So, we decided to wait and fly out Sunday morning early. We're about 50 miles from the airport and with the flight leaving at 6:55 we decided to spend the night Sat. night in Little Rock. Friday afternoon, HAL called and said the boarding was delayed until 11:30. We were supposed to be in FLL at 12:30. Long day. But, as the day wore on, it didnt' look like we were going to have any luck with Sun. so we cancelled Little Rock, and decided we might need to be close to the phone in case they called again with changes. Well, of course our flight for Sun. was cancelled, and we were both nervous wrecks by this time. So, we decided rather than take the 5 day cruise we'd cancel. So, today we're crying in our beer. But, as it turns out, we couldn't get a flight into FLL today from LR, so we couldn't have gone anyway. Your idea of the Maasdam was a good one, but the prices were awful. We're going to wait and go later in the year. We just don't have the energy to do it right now. I spent many, many hours researching this cruise & the Z. We were so excited. I feel like someone stole my favorite toy. I hope yours turns out better.

Nasmas, I am so sorry to read your story:( .....I asked my TA about the Maasdam cruise, and actually I cannot change(it would have to be the cruise line cancelling, not me).

Anyway, maybe its because I live close enough to drive but my mind is sort of wishy washy......like I am preparing myself NOT TO SAIL:eek: ....and so, if something happens I won't be so disappointed. And if it goes through, all the better.

I really have no idea what the status of IVAN will be by Friday. I wouldn't mind going to FLL for a couple of days but I only have one night booked at the hotel...so lets say things were postponed for one night...not sure where I would stay the 2nd night....I guess I would be able to find a room.......

But I do understand your disappointment.....and I hope you will be able to do another cruise soon!

I really have no idea what the status of IVAN will be by Friday. I wouldn't mind going to FLL for a couple of days but I only have one night booked at the hotel...

Lois, maybe you should book another couple nights, directly with the hotel that way you have until 6pm day of to cancel. Just to be on the safe side should Ivan rear his ugly head.

Ok..am back...it was one of those weird things...the after affects of Frances...bringing swirling winds with rain tonite......and doppler keeps showing these watches.....it has passed my area now......geeezzzzzz.......

Gretchen...too funny:D ...but its really weird..the weather guy is putting up when it shows the tornado force winds are going over each neighborhood...(the THREAT of tornados).....he said my area was showing up...and to get to a safe area...(the bathroom with NO WINDOWS).

Cameron, Marie is one of the posters on here:) ....she and I use the same TA.

The rules on CC state advertising of TA's are prohibited...email me at

lo1958@hotmail.com if you want.....I will reply.

Lois, after all the hurricanes the tornado watch is just an insult. My brother lives near Fort Lauderdale. I live in Michigan. When I called him before and after Frances to commiserate and inquire as to his welfare, he said, "well at least we don't get tornadoes down here like you do in Michigan". I guess you never know, do you?

Hi Jake:)...nope, you just never know:eek: ...California has earthquakes....Michigan has snowstorms....we have Hurricanes...(with the xtra Tornado for good measure:confused: )

Hi all

This is an interesting post as I was on the 8/28 - 9/4 I mean 9/6 cruise. Yes there were moaning minnies on board and I felt for some of them. However we were kept really safe and in wonderful waters for the most part.

Some people from Florida were worried about their homes - rightly so - and their families - i understand where they were coming from.

Coming from Toronto, I must say that we had it pretty good. Our other alternative would have been to wait out the storm in a shelter or a hotel with no power. hmmmmm Yep I think we had it pretty good.

HAL didn't have much of a choice. This was a hurricane. Noone could control it and noone could truly predict what it was going to do. When we were in Tortola we were in the tail end of Frances. I will never forget what it was like to stand on the dock and feel the strength of the winds and horizontal rain. Let me tell you we had it good sitting in warm sunny weather and calm seas.

The only issue I had was that HAL kept changing what the plan was - first we were getting to FLL Sun - then sun night - then monday - 4 sea days in a row was a little much. It would have been nice to stop at some port some where.

At least we are home safe and sound! - full report soon!

Jewelfine....Welcome Back. So happy that the Captain was able to find (and bring you to) calm, pretty weather. Sure does beat being in a dark, steamy hot, miserable shelter fearing for your safey......

Hmmm....2 extra days aboard and 4 straight at sea days? Where do I sign up? I have never understood how people could be upset at getting extra days aboard a cruise ship at the cruise line's expense. The wife and I were on a transatlantic back in '02 that had to divert 200 miles toward Halifax so that a helicopter could medically evacuate a sick passenger. The diversion added 24 hours to the cruise. The crew was so apologetic, and of course there was a small group of people compalaining of the extra day. To us, it was a bonus. One more day aboard a cruise ship without having to pay for it. Can we turn around one more time? The cruise was on Princess, and they allowed pax free internet time for e-mailing and up to 15 mins of free sat phone time to change their travel arangements. We were booked through Princess's Air-Sea and they took care of the travel changes (they balled that up pretty bad, but at least we got home. Long story, long day.) I am all for more free days at sea!

I understand those aboard worring about their loved ones and property in Florida. Living in Orlando and going through the process it seems like every week now can be a bit trying, but there is not a lot you can do about it. As long as I know my family is safe, we can deal with property damage if and when the time comes. So far, we have been very lucky getting through Chuck and Frances with only minimal damage. More importantly, my wife and I and our pets have gotten through without any physical damage (with the possible exception of my wife's blood pressure shooting through the roof.) We are looking forward to our Mighty Zuidy cruise on the 25th from wherever they decide to leave from. Nassau may still be underwater, but it will not dampen our spirit for cruising.

kyros checked in late last night from the Zuiderdam - she seem to be doing well and enjoying herself - but she didn't mention anything about the other passengers - their feelings, etc.]

I only encountered one passenger who said she was having "the worst cruise of my life." This was a passenger, by the way, who had gotten on the ship with the 8/6 group. I wanted to say to her "why did you bother?" but didn't want to fuel her dissatisfaction any further.

Everyone I encountered seemed very positive with the exception of their dissatisfaction over HAL's handling of internet and phone charges. Apparently, HAL was selling these phone cards for $25 that were good for a 12-minute call anywhere in the world. The rub was that you could never get through using the phone card. If you used your room phone, however ... at the price of $8.95 a minute ... wala! You magically got a connection. When people were relegated to doing this, and attempted to return the unused phone cards, HAL refused to take them back. This really pissed off some people. They became even more pissed when they found out that other lines were giving their passengers free internet and phone calls so that they could make contact with their families, change flight times, reserve motel rooms, etc.

To add insult to injury, HAL then decided to offer a "deal" near the end of the cruise. $2.95 a minute for calls from the room during one 24-hour period. Many passengers had already made their necessary calls at the $8.95 rate. Man, were some people torqued over that.

Other than these communications issues, though, most of the passengers were just relaxing and enjoying themselves. And why shouldn't they? They were getting two additional days on a beautiful ship and were not being charged one damned cent for it. The cruise director's staff were breaking their backs arranging all sorts of special activities to keep those sea days interesting, and even the headline entertainers were pitching in to do special events to keep the afternoon entertainment humming.

My take on it is this. You cruise during hurricane season, you get some nice rates. But with those nice rates always comes the chance that your itinerary will get shot to hell. You know that going in, and therefore shouldn't be too disappointed when it happens.

All in all, I feel I certainly got my money's worth out of this cruise even though I actually didn't get any "extra" time onboard since I was booked for 8-28 through 9-11 anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived