Is this formal enough?

kermite

It's absolutely beautiful and you will look lovely in it. Please don't worry about Formal Night... I, myself, have worn black dress pants, a sparkly top, velvet blazer, and black pumps and no one even looked at me sideways. You will see all sorts of ensembles on Formal Nights, yes, even pants.

Have a great time!

If you read the suggested wear for the night in newpaper the ship's steward leaves you every night;It suggests cocktail dresses as one of the choices of dress for the captain's gala night (it is usually called something like that NOT formal night, so think more "after 5" dress) Some wear very formal gowns and that is fine, but this is my opinion, if you are with a man/hubby/SO and he will only wear a suit at most, maybe the best you can get him to do is wear a sportcoat, then you actually look better to wear a cocktail dress.

but if your man is in a tux, then you look better in an evening gown or like a mother of the the bride dressy pantsuit. Now this is just my own personal opinion, but I think couples should match in their dress. If the woman is very nicely dressed in an evening gown,then it just calls attention to the fact that her man is underdressed.

I don't know what ship you will be on or your itinerary, but most Royal Caribbean cruises in the Caribbean have guidelines recommending cocktail dresses for the ladies. There is no longer mention of gowns. Many women will be wearing gowns, but cocktail dresses are well within the guidelines.

If you are on a luxury cruise line or even some premium cruiselines a cocktail dress may not be dressy enough for formal night.

PS, I think that dress is lovely.

a thing of the past in this day..but dressy-up, flow-y, spakle-y, are a great chioce for me. Try the Spencer alexis line, at most upscale dept store ie: Dillards, Macy's..I have 2 very nice tops that i pair with skirt, carwash palazzos,w/silky camis or over a long sleek one-sey type dress.. A black with colors, and a brown w/ pastels..easy pack, no press. lots of compliments. sz..s,m,l, 1x 2x 3x..try on for sz..i can wear 2 diff sz's..go figure. your choice from JCP is lovely also

That dress is totally fine. It's definitely "dressy" and as long as your travel partners aren't in tuxes, you will be totally fine. My husband wears a suit, not a tux, and I wouldn't hesitate to wear that dress. You will be more dressed up that some, and less dressed up than some.

I think that this is a lovely dress. I would wear it with not too strappy shoes and perhaps a bracelet and some studd earrings.

I go to a lot of black tie dinners in London (where I live) and this type of dress would be perfectly acceptable at one of those, provided the material is of good quality. If it was a dinner and dance black tie function, then I would go for something long, but for just a dinner, then that length of dress is fine.

That dress is totally fine. It's definitely "dressy" and as long as your travel partners aren't in tuxes, you will be totally fine.

As I stated earlier, I wore black dress pants as part of a Formal Night ensemble, and in fact my husband rented a tux for that cruise. He wore it twice, as did I wear my pants twice (different tops). No one looked at us in a particular way, no one asked I change, no one was offended, no one whispered behind our backs (I assume ;) ).

If the OP chooses this dress for Formal Night and her partner is in a tux, they will be a striking couple. The FN on cruise ships is not "black tie" (which admittedly, is different). It is tux or dark suit, and actually on one of our cruises on Holland America, our male friend neglected to bring a suit jacket - he came to the cocktail party and to dinner in pants, a white dress shirt, and a tie... no jacket. No one said a word to him.

Please, I beg we don't get all hung up on what to wear, what our companions are wearing, and what is and isn't appropriate. The OP will look great. Really - this should be "end of story", yes? :)

Please, I beg we don't get all hung up on what to wear, what our companions are wearing, and what is and isn't appropriate. The OP will look great. Really - this should be "end of story", yes?

No offense to you but these type of posts on the Cruise Fashion and Beauty board always give me a laugh. If the original poster did not WANT the opinions of the other posters she would not have made the post and would not have included a picture. If she wanted to know if evening pants were "formal enough" then she would have asked that question.

I know when I went on my first cruise I was VERY interested (not hung up) on what was appropriate for us to wear and it was important to me that we not be overdressed or underdressed so that we would feel comfortable and be in accordance to what others would be wearing. This is truly important to many which is why this particular board exists. None of these stories ever ends :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

I think the OP has gotten some balanced opinions and will make the choice that is right for her.

As I stated earlier, I wore black dress pants as part of a Formal Night ensemble, and in fact my husband rented a tux for that cruise. He wore it twice, as did I wear my pants twice (different tops). No one looked at us in a particular way, no one asked I change, no one was offended, no one whispered behind our backs (I assume ;) ).

If the OP chooses this dress for Formal Night and her partner is in a tux, they will be a striking couple. The FN on cruise ships is not "black tie" (which admittedly, is different). It is tux or dark suit, and actually on one of our cruises on Holland America, our male friend neglected to bring a suit jacket - he came to the cocktail party and to dinner in pants, a white dress shirt, and a tie... no jacket. No one said a word to him.

Please, I beg we don't get all hung up on what to wear, what our companions are wearing, and what is and isn't appropriate. The OP will look great. Really - this should be "end of story", yes? :)

I have to disagree with some of your comments. As kidznp says, if the OP didn't want opinions or didn't care if her dress was formal enough she wouldn't have asked.

My question to the OP would be, "which cruise line?". The dress she posts is pretty, but it's not a formal dress and it's a lot less dressy than many cocktail dresses I see on cruise ships. If she's on Carnival, or RCCL, she'll blend. If she's on the QE2, HAL, or Celebrity, she'll be more casually dressed than most others. This may or may not bother her - that's her decision. Our "job" is to give her the information she wants. Just because no one said anything to your jacketless friend on HAL, doesn't mean he was appropriately dressed. "Getting away" with something, doesn't make it okay.

And your post should be "end of story"? Uhh...No!:)

I have to disagree with some of your comments. As kidznp says, if the OP didn't want opinions or didn't care if her dress was formal enough she wouldn't have asked.

My question to the OP would be, "which cruise line?". The dress she posts is pretty, but it's not a formal dress and it's a lot less dressy than many cocktail dresses I see on cruise ships. If she's on Carnival, or RCCL, she'll blend. If she's on the QE2, HAL, or Celebrity, she'll be more casually dressed than most others. This may or may not bother her - that's her decision. Our "job" is to give her the information she wants. Just because no one said anything to your jacketless friend on HAL, doesn't mean he was appropriately dressed. "Getting away" with something, doesn't make it okay.

And your post should be "end of story"? Uhh...No!:)

Could also mean someone was being courteous by not pointing it out so as not to make the person uncomfortable.:)

HELP!! I'm going on my 1st cruise at the beginning of December and I'm still looking for a formal dress to wear.

Is this formal enough?

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?GrpTyp=SIZ&ItemID=125092a&RefPage=Products&StoreRegNo=&catalog_base=&firstpage=&CmCatId=EXTERNAL|35051&cmOrigID=125091C&cmPosID=3

AAU1951M?$outfitcross118x222$

I got this dress plus one in black from Ann Taylor for only $79.00 each. Comes up to a size 18. They are made beautifully! Fully lined, even have a separate elastic strap that hooks in case you are small enough busted that you do not need a bra. They also have other styles on sale.

AAU1951M?$outfitcross118x222$

I got this dress plus one in black from Ann Taylor for only $79.00 each. Comes up to a size 18. They are made beautifully! Fully lined, even have a separate elastic strap that hooks in case you are small enough busted that you do not need a bra. They also have other styles on sale.

I have 3 of these myself! I have it in blue, yellow, and a white floral pattern. I love them! Actually, mine is a little different style, but still from the Celebrations collection.

Did you get the coupon for 25% off online and in-store purchases from Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, and Ann Taylor Factory? Good through the weekend, and it doesn't specify sale or non-sale. I'm planning on hitting all 3 this weekend:D. The email had a PDF link, so here you go.

http://www.anntaylor.com/assets/images/email/2007_11_13_friends_family/Ann%20Taylor%20Friends%20&%20Family.pdf?cm_mmc_o=HFzbkCjCvv.vN.iI%20Mbyzk%20uybwEpl%20uzFbkYCjC5pu%205zTwCjCMbyzk%20uybwEpl%20uzFbkY%205pu%205zTw

As for the question at hand, it's a cute dress, but I don't think it's very formal. But, people do wear "church" dresses for formal night, so you won't feel out of place. I personally would opt to wear it on a casual night, but that's how I am. The above pictured dress is also worn on casual nights - I like to dress up :)

Archived