Anyone ever missed the ship because they booked a private excursion?

wilson9112

First time I have ever booked on my own. I usually book with the cruise but its so much cheaper on my own. Has anyone ever missed the ship because doing this? I booked cavetubing in Belize and its a long excursion (like 6 hours) and we are in port 8-5pm. :)

It does happen from time to time. We have known people who have missed the excursion. The key is to give yourself plenty of time to get back to port in case you encounter unexpected traffic, or a vehicle breakdown or a vehicle accident. Usually, if you are in port until 5:00 PM passengers are asked to be back on the ship by 4:30 PM.

Keith

We've done several private tours and never had a problem, but it's because we have been up front with the tour guide about wanting to be back at a certain time. Are you going with a group form the ship or as an indivual party? That can make a difference too. Decided what time you want to be back to the ship and make sure that the guide is aware of it. Ours have always been eager to comply and easy to work with.

Charlie

P.S. Make sure that you are on ship time and not local time if that's an issue in this port. The ship will sail on its time and no other.

We've done several private tours and never had a problem, but it's because we have been up front with the tour guide about wanting to be back at a certain time. Are you going with a group form the ship or as an indivual party? That can make a difference too. Decided what time you want to be back to the ship and make sure that the guide is aware of it. Ours have always been eager to comply and easy to work with.

Charlie

P.S. Make sure that you are on ship time and not local time if that's an issue in this port. The ship will sail on its time and no other.

Its an individual party. I'm just worried because we also have to tender. I figure I wont get on shore probably until 9am and its an hour drive, etc and total 6hrs. He is highly recommended on cc but its cutting it close.

We did cave tubing on our own (with Reggie) in Belize several years ago, and had no problems. It is a long drive to the site, but was a great excursion.

Incidentally, we did pass a van of another tour operator that was broken on our way back. Our driver slowed down to see if he could help, but they already had another one coming. I think most of those guys look out for one another. It could be them in that situation one day, and they certainly don't want customers missing the ship.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Any private tour operator who doesn't get the passengers back to the ship in time to sail will get negative reviews on CC.

We almost always book on our own and have never had a problem.

These guys know all about the ships' schedules. They know if you're going to be arriving late and know what time you need to be back aboard.

I wouldn't worry. ;)

We did cave tubing on our own (with Reggie) in Belize several years ago, and had no problems. It is a long drive to the site, but was a great excursion.

Incidentally, we did pass a van of another tour operator that was broken on our way back. Our driver slowed down to see if he could help, but they already had another one coming. I think most of those guys look out for one another. It could be them in that situation one day, and they certainly don't want customers missing the ship.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. :D

I often book trips on my own and always buffer time to get back. While I have never missed a ship, Belize was the only time I worried. We booked using a company recommended here and were their only folks so they put us with another group. Coming back, we were late and the driver was flying down the rock road; we were going airbourne and on two wheels. I really thought we were going to have an accident. We got back to the ship a little after 4:30, enough time but too close for my comfort.

I often book trips on my own and always buffer time to get back. While I have never missed a ship, Belize was the only time I worried. We booked using a company recommended here and were their only folks so they put us with another group. Coming back, we were late and the driver was flying down the rock road; we were going airbourne and on two wheels. I really thought we were going to have an accident. We got back to the ship a little after 4:30, enough time but too close for my comfort.

Wow, I would have been scared too! On CC they recommended Yhony of cave-tubing.com and they sent me an email saying the GUARANTEE we will make the ship. I dont see how they can say that. Makes me nervous. It is a long excursion. They said 6 hours but after tender back and forth that is almost the exact amount of time we have in port.

Just for reference....

Belize tour operators used to have somewhat of a fall back plan, since a lot of the ships that were in Belize one day were in Costa Maya the next.

Costa Maya is a 6 hour drive from Belize.

However, until this port is up and running again...they don't have this cushion to fall back on.

All that being said, I can't recall a single complaint about Yhonney or Reggie being late. Just be aware anything can happen.....

We did the cave tubing, with just one other couple and the guide, it was wonderful. The five of us kind of raced through the jungle to get ahead of the big ships groups. We linked feet to the tube in front and all stroked together, it looked like the Belizian Olympic rowing team. But the guide knew the rocks and currents to avoid while ship's people were getting hung up in them, and the few guides they had were having to go pull them out.

We got back well ahead of the buses, in time to have a Beliken Dark at the Wet Lizard there in the terminal complex before boarding the tender.

The Belizian tenders, BTW, make the ship ones look like hogs in a horse race, they are large open and fast. We stopped on the way back to get pictures of the Grand all ablaze with lights on that Dec. evening.

Enjoy!!

We had a great time with Reggie cave tubing. His son was VERY aware of the time to make sure we would get back in time. We did, had no problem and shopped in Belize City before tendering back. Reggie says he'll get you to the ship via his own boat if you miss the last tender. I asked how many times they've done this and was told "never". They want to make sure they get you back becauise the shiop would let you know who not to trust!

not to anyone we know personally, but I know it does happen...we left people in Mazatlan on our cruise a couple weeks ago...just be smart about planning if you feel the need to book a private excursion...I have always thought the premium you pay with a cruise line is a nice way to insure you dont get left behind

In planning my trip in April, I've read many reviews, and the times where the people were on the later side returning to port it was because there was traffic, and the ship excursion also got caught up in the traffic, too. I've read many people just get the tender with the ship's cave tuber's.

Just keep in mind, that should pax miss the ship, the operator will get a very negative review on cc, no operator wants that. Come anything they will do their best to get back to the ship.

We were about 15 minutes late returning on an independent stingray city excursion in Grand Cayman. It started to rain hard, the traffic was awful, etc. I was really worried, but the ship had not yet sailed. The last tender had left, but they brought another one for us and a few others.

On another cruise, an announcement was made for certain people to contact the desk. The ship left about an hour and a half late. From the 12th deck, we saw a group of people running to get back on the ship.

Now that cruises use the key cards, they know if anyone is still off the ship, and really try not to leave passengers behind. However, it still happens at times.

On most if not all of our tours that we have booked independant we have had an up front discussion with the operator about the time that we needed to be back at the pier... Most of the operators have an unwritten agreement with one another about helping out if there is a break down, etc... We have had operators hurry us along at times because of the changing weather or some other condition to insure that we arrive back at port on time....

I don't think that the same unwritten rules apply to the taxi's that wait beside the piers to "take you on a tour" but I have witnessed one driver assisting another on a couple of occasions...

Joey

Never happened to me personally. However, on my last Western Caribbean cruise we did almost leave people (2 adults, 1 teenager) in Belize. The ship started pulling out already after waiting for them for 30min after scheduled departure time and they had to catch speed boat to the ship. It was interesting to watch the transfer of people from that boat to ship - not something I would want to experience.

Archived