Dawn Princess to Remain "Down Under"?

Druke I

So this leaves the Grand class, the modified Grand class and the Super Grand class for routes near the US. What choices!

Maybe Princess will re-evaluate building more Coral/Island class type ships (or equivalant).

I don't remember where I saw it - but some "wags" are predicting that Princess will have a series of ships based on HAL's Vista class hull. The hull shape is somewhat similar to the Coral and Island Princess.

Cunard's new Queen Victoria and P&O's Arcadia are using ships based on the Vista class hull.

I for one would prefer something on the order of 60,000GRT, 1200PAX.

I don't remember where I saw it - but some "wags" are predicting that Princess will have a series of ships based on HAL's Vista class hull. The hull shape is somewhat similar to the Coral and Island Princess.

I for one would prefer something on the order of 60,000GRT, 1200PAX.

I sure hope you are right. I am trying a Vista class ship in a few weeks. I would take either size (Vista or 60,000 tonn).

My favorite ship/design to date is the Crystal Serenity at 68,000 tonns. It had a great layout and was "just right" size wise.

Cruise News Daily's Cruise blogger is reporting that Dawn Princess will not be returning to North America, but will remain "down under" indefinitely.

So the Dawn will not come back to SFO?

Hmmm. I wonder who will be moved to take over the 10 day R/T's from San Francisco?

It seems they will be one ship short for the Alaska Season. I imagine the Coral, Island, Diamond and Sapphire will continue to do the YVR - Whittier and back, the Star and Golden are positioned for Seattle R/Ts and the Pacific would probably be doing the 14 day YVR R/Ts. (I love W0kie's spreadsheet!)

Since there is no new ships on order for Princess, any more R's they might buy?

I personally would love another couple of Coral classes.

I did read it incorrectly!!!!!!!!!!! Interesting news. Changing from a Sun Class ship on our Alaska 08 cruise would make a huge difference on cabin choices for my kids and granddaughter. They wanted a balcony but on the Dawn, balconies for 3 were hard to come by even booking far in advance.

Cheers, Denise

Unfortunately no. Of the original 7 Rs, 2 are with Oceania, 2 are with Azamara, and Princess owns 3. Don't anticipate any of those changing hands any time soon.

When was this supposed to happen????

We're booked on a 31 day repo cruise from Sidney to San Fran in April "09"

:confused:

You may want to contact your agent. From what I read, the Dawn was supposed to return to the US in April of 09 and now she is not going to.

I just looked at your sailing and it is still bookable. I am confused... Good luck!

We're booked on a 31 day repo cruise from Sidney to San Fran in April "09"

Karen - we are booked on that one too. It looks like we are up for a big disappointment. I went to the Princess site, as Coral did, and they still have our cruise up and open for bookings. You'd think they would notify TAs and get their web site right before releasing to news organizations.

REALLY BIG disappointment for those who were cancelled for the April '08 on the Sun and re-booked this itinerary on the Dawn for '09.

So the Dawn will not come back to SFO?

Hmmm. I wonder who will be moved to take over the 10 day R/T's from San Francisco?

It seems they will be one ship short for the Alaska Season. I imagine the Coral, Island, Diamond and Sapphire will continue to do the YVR - Whittier and back, the Star and Golden are positioned for Seattle R/Ts and the Pacific would probably be doing the 14 day YVR R/Ts. (I love W0kie's spreadsheet!)

I personally would love another couple of Coral classes.

The Star is doing the r/t from SFO to Alaska in 2008 so maybe will still be there in 09.

marilyn

The Star is doing the r/t from SFO to Alaska in 2008 so maybe will still be there in 09.

marilyn

Just this week on the Dawn. Too weird. I would be okay with the Star because as I said it would offer more cabin choices for the kids. But why upgrade if the ship isn't going to cruise???

Confused, Denise

Just this week on the Dawn. Too weird. I would be okay with the Star because as I said it would offer more cabin choices for the kids. But why upgrade if the ship isn't going to cruise???

Confused, Denise

I think it is 2 seperate departments at work with one not knowing what the other one is doing.

For example, upgrades are often computer generated. Customer service reps do not know when the higher ups are thinking of switching itineraries.

By the way, I just got off my first HAL cruise and loved, loved, loved it. You will too ;-)))) I will post a comparison review after Thanksgiving along with my pics. We had a great time.

Cheers, Denise

Great to hear! I am looking forward to it (both my cruise and your comparisons :) )

marilyn

The Star is out of Seattle in the 2008 Ak season (unless there's another change announced somewhere else), the Dawn is still there for 2008 and was scheduled back from AU to San Fran in May 2009, but apparently won't get there.

The Star is running Mex Riviera and South America 2008-2009 and ends up in Seattle on the 10th of May, or so it shows so far.

A grand class out of San Fran makes sense. My understanding is that the Dawn is booked solid on all sailings and for a premium price, but 7 day sails R/T out of Seattle are also popular and lucrative.

I can't see Princess cutting back on the YVR to Whittier ships because of the investment in Cruisetours, but I don't see any other ships positioned to take over this hole.

Maybe Princess is going to scale back on Alaska in 2009?

Archived