Queen Victoria.......teak deaks or......

roscoe39

A friend of mine has asked an interesting question....does any one know if the decking is going to be teak and calking onboard...? Ive looked at the pictures and they indicate they will and the pics posted of precompletion of the pool area look promising but I cant find anything definate....

anyone have some inside information,,,?????

thanks

A friend of mine has asked an interesting question....does any one know if the decking is going to be teak and calking onboard...? Ive looked at the pictures and they indicate they will and the pics posted of precompletion of the pool area look promising but I cant find anything definate....

anyone have some inside information,,,?????

thanks

roscoe,

I'm afraid there will be no teak decks on QV. Capt Rynd told me just a couple of weeks ago that the deck covering is a special composition designed to give good wearing but will be teak coloured with black stripes so that it will look like a caulked deck.

Teak is not available in the quantities required. Other woods could be used but they would not wear as well as teak and would have to be replaced frequently.

Stephen

roscoe,

I'm afraid there will be no teak decks on QV. Capt Rynd told me just a couple of weeks ago that the deck covering is a special composition designed to give good wearing but will be teak coloured with black stripes so that it will look like a caulked deck.

Teak is not available in the quantities required. Other woods could be used but they would not wear as well as teak and would have to be replaced frequently.

Stephen

Stephen

Curiosity will get the better of me one day, but in the meantime can we hope that you will sail on one of the Maiden Voyages or World Cruise and/or be a Guest Lecturer? If so, would you be prepared to mention which.

And, is there any chance you'll be sailing and giving presentations on the WB or EB crossings or a sector of QE2's final world cruise?

Leone

roscoe,

Stephen

thanks Stephen.....and bugger.... what a shame is all I can say.

Curious - as they seem to have found enough teak to install teak decks on HAL's Eurodam - which must have a very similar deck area:

http://www.eurodamnews.com/2007/11/02/how-they-install-the-teak-deck/

Peter

Yes, and interesting that all Carnival Cruise Lines vessels also use teak in abundance.

The article about teak on the EURODAM blog is interesting. I'm not sure that it is really in short supply.

A Cunard "liner" with no teak decking, and Carnival Cruise Lines cruise ships with plenty of teak decking. Interesting.

Ernie

Yes, and interesting that all Carnival Cruise Lines vessels also use teak in abundance.

The article about teak on the EURODAM blog is interesting. I'm not sure that it is really in short supply.

A Cunard "liner" with no teak decking, and Carnival Cruise Lines cruise ships with plenty of teak decking. Interesting.

Ernie

Ernie,

Actually they are cutting down on the amounts of teak being used.. at least on HAL ships. Since ZUIDERDAM the teak has only been used on the prom deck, no longer on all the balconies, fore deck etc etc.

Stephen

Ernie,

Actually they are cutting down on the amounts of teak being used.. at least on HAL ships. Since ZUIDERDAM the teak has only been used on the prom deck, no longer on all the balconies, fore deck etc etc.

Stephen

Yes, it seems rare these days to have all outdoor decks covered in teak. None the less a ship like QV should have teak on the Promenade Deck and perhaps by one of the pools.

I think on OOSTERDAM there was teak around the aft pool, the promenade deck, and the outside area aft of the Crow's Nest lounge. I know it wasn't on our balcony.

If you look at some of the newest Carnival ships, like FREEDOM and LIBERTY, they still use teak around the entire midships pool deck, and the promenade deck as well. Interesting that Carnival has always used a generous amount of teak on their ships, much more so then their more expensive brands and competitors.

Ernie

Yes, it seems rare these days to have all outdoor decks covered in teak. None the less a ship like QV should have teak on the Promenade Deck and perhaps by one of the pools.

I think on OOSTERDAM there was teak around the aft pool, the promenade deck, and the outside area aft of the Crow's Nest lounge. I know it wasn't on our balcony.

If you look at some of the newest Carnival ships, like FREEDOM and LIBERTY, they still use teak around the entire midships pool deck, and the promenade deck as well. Interesting that Carnival has always used a generous amount of teak on their ships, much more so then their more expensive brands and competitors.

Ernie

Carnival's former VP of Corporate Shipbuilding Captain Vittorio Fabietti purchased great volumes of teak about 25 years ago. How much is left is anyone's guess.

Teak is undoubtedly the best covering for decks, for many reasons. Blue astrotruf cannot compare! It is just possible that someone has come up with a cost effective alternative that will outlast and outperform traditional coverings. If the initial cost is right and maintainance requires nothing more than a hose down you can see the why it might be the best option.

Stephen

Stephen

Curiosity will get the better of me one day, but in the meantime can we hope that you will sail on one of the Maiden Voyages or World Cruise and/or be a Guest Lecturer? If so, would you be prepared to mention which.

And, is there any chance you'll be sailing and giving presentations on the WB or EB crossings or a sector of QE2's final world cruise?

Leone

Leone,

No plans for any maiden voyages. World cruise is the wrong time of the year... conflicts with world cruise in Saga Rose!

Afraid I won't be back to QE2 either. I said my farewell in May. :-(

Next July/August.... roundtrip NY-Southampton in the Mary with a Baltic on the Victoria in between.

Happy voting today!!!!

Stephen

Stephen--

I'm confused - if there is no teak surrounding QV's pool, then what is this?

acceuil_Queen-Victoria-croi0.jpg

BTW - On the HAL Vistas, Teakwood decking is not only on the Promenade, but on the Aft Lido (including the pool & jacuzzi surrounds), the pool and jacuzzi surrounds for the Midship Lido pool, and on the Observation Deck, tho I don't recall if it's up on Sports Deck too...

But you're correct that there is no teak on the private verandahs with the exception of the railings and the exterior paneling for the Penthouses.

Stephen--

I'm confused - if there is no teak surrounding QV's pool, then what is this?

acceuil_Queen-Victoria-croi0.jpg

Brian,

That is called 'artistic license'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could well be that the seating around the large pool and the jaccuzzis is teak but the dec itself... I doubt it. Look at the paterns. Very costly to lay teak in diamond pattens and the buff coloured outlines are a giveaway.

Shame I agree.

Stephen

And Contrast:

P1020387.jpg

Are you sure that isn't the pool on the Eurodumb?!?!

Oh, wait - No Magrodome...

...Nevermind.

:cool:

(That hoist on the far side of the pool for the terminally overfed is a real nice touch too...)

Though there are a few very nice public rooms, I think Cunard made a mistake having Princess' design firm involved here. The ship looks too much like a glorified princess new build. Also, I would think they would have learned from Holland America, when they let Farcus run with some of the public rooms of the Statendam, that the passengers would not notice. He rarely touched another HAL ship.

Also, the absence of real teak on the promenade deck is disappointing. The fake surfaces look cheap. To sail on the QV this is not a cheap proposition, especially sailing solo. I would have assumed they would not have skimped so much on her fitting out.

Could the HAL vistas/signatures be a higher quality in the end?

Also, I would think they would have learned from Holland America, when they let Farcus run with some of the public rooms of the Statendam, that the passengers would not notice. He rarely touched another HAL ship.

Joe Farcus only did the interior of Statendam's Van Gogh Show Lounge - after that, he was allowed to touch nothing else for HAL.

Ever since, Frans Dingemans of VFD Interior Design has been tasked with doing all new HAL interiors until some recent redesigns and the new Eurodam staterooms by a Seattle design firm.

Archived