Trip Insurance

petesweet

We have never insured before, but my husband wants us to insure on this upcoming Baltics cruise because of flight possibilities as well as our age (although we are in good health) - 73 and 68.

We learned about statravel.com from Cruise Critic, and they confirmed that even though it is a travel agency for students, they will insure any age. Our 13-day trip will be insured for $70 pp. This does not cover preexisting conditions, but it will cover if a problem with an elderly parent causes one to miss the cruise. Also covers travel problems, lost luggage, all the other things more expensive insurance covers.

Since we don't need to worry about preexisting conditions, we don't need to pay for insurance until just before the final payment is due since our deposits are fully refundable until that point.

My question: Has anyone had experience with this group? Any problem?

I have used them quite a few times and had to make one claim because of a cut foot that required me to see the Dr. They paid up in two weeks, no hassles, very easy.

Our friends also had to be medivaced off the ship because of a heart attack and it cost 20,000+. They paid for hospital in St Thomas for a week and his wife's hotel, food, etc for the time. It took about a month or so for the reimbursement but that was because it was a lot more complicated then my little cut foot.

I have used them quite a few times and had to make one claim because of a cut foot that required me to see the Dr. They paid up in two weeks, no hassles, very easy.

Our friends also had to be medivaced off the ship because of a heart attack and it cost 20,000+. They paid for hospital in St Thomas for a week and his wife's hotel, food, etc for the time. It took about a month or so for the reimbursement but that was because it was a lot more complicated then my little cut foot.

What comforting news! Thanks. I'll share that.

Is it worth looking at an annual policy, it might not be that much more and could cover you for multiple trips

Terri, thanks. Can you give me a company name? You will see from my signature line that we are cruisers, for sure!

STAtravel offers $250,000 for emergency evacuation, more than most more expensive travel policies. That is one reason I have switched to them. I believe that STA is underwritten by Berkley Care. I have had 2 claims with Berkley Care in past years on Princess, and they paid off with no hassles. Of course, you have to provide various proofs in order to collect.

We have used this insurance for our last several trips. We have been fortunate to not have to use it, but one never knows what will happen. My dad travels with us and he is 94. His insurance is no more expensive than ours. It is based on the number of days of travel, not the amount unlike other insurances.

Archived