I made Royal Flourless Chocolate Cake again for Thanksgiving!

pcur

I keep forgetting how amazingly wonderful this dessert is. My son's fiance helped me this year, and it's much easier with two people doing it.

We added a little water to a tablespoon of rasberry preserves and orange marmalade for people to add a little puddle on their plate, if they wanteed.

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Royal Flourless Chocolate Cake

1 lb. Semi-sweet chocolate morsels

1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

1 Tablespoon dark rum

¾ cup heavy cream

¾ cup strong coffee, brewed

8 eggs

½ cup sugar

Topping suggestions: orange marmalade, apricot preserves, boysenberry sauce, additional whipped cream, mint, fresh berries. Whatever you like with chocolate.

Preheat oven at 300 degrees. Butter a 10-inch mold (spring pan) and refrigerate.

In a chilled bowl, whip the cream until it has soft peaks. Set aside.

Place chocolate, vanilla, run, and coffee in a double-boiler over 1-inch simmering water. Whisk until chocolate is melted and all ingredients are mixed. Transfer to a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, combine eggs, sugar. Whip with an electric beater until pale in color. Add some of chocolate mixture, beating until incorporated. Pour this into remaining chocolate mixture and gently fold until just combined.

Add whipped cream, and gently mix until completely blended.

Pour batter into prepared, chilled spring pan or mold. Make a “sleeve” of aluminum foil around the pan, and place in a roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the mold. The “sleeve” keeps the simmering water out of the batter.

Bake for 1 – 1 ¼ at 300 degrees. The middle of the cake should be firm when done.

Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool at room temperature. Chill in refrigerator overnight.

When ready to serve: Turn over onto a serving plate, release spring, and remove pan. Or, use the bottom of the spring pan as a serving plate.

Garnish with whipped cream, berries and mint. A “puddle” of marmalade, preserves, or raspberry sauce is good, too, next to the slice.

Oh, I forgot:

Test the center to make sure it's solid. Otherwise, you have fabulous flourless chocolate pudding!!!

My spring pan leaked at the bottom into the water at first, which freaked me out, but as soon as the batter solidifies, no more leaking.

The caked will settle to half it's height after you take it out.

thanks for sharing this recipe with us! i wrote it down and will make it for christmas!!!

did you buy the rci cookbook? if so, have you made many of the recipes in it? and were they all just wonderful?

may have to get that cookbook in dec if they have any onboard!

thanks again!

My fiance and I both can't bake at all. That's why we did it together: it wasn't so scary.

Whoops! That would be my SON'S fiance..:D :D

No, I didn't buy the cookbook. Alexis posted the recipe here a few years ago when I asked for it, and I've kept it ever since.

Whoops! That would be my SON'S fiance..:D :D

No, I didn't buy the cookbook. Alexis posted the recipe here a few years ago when I asked for it, and I've kept it ever since.

And you did not send me a piece. :o

OK, you omitted one important fact in the recipe about wrapping the pan.

These are the only two recipes I posted. I am posting this almost exactly as I did a long time ago. :D

Hi, Important

RCCL has 2 recipes.

There are actually 2 different recipes out there for the RCCL Flourless Chocolate cake. Please read this and you will understand why you have different ingredients.

What ever one you have, do not change it unless you read this.

There are two different recipes out there for this cake, both from RCCL. This first one is the recipe I got from the Viking Serenade where I first had it. This is the recipe from the old RCCL recipe website that is no longer on line.. I posted this one a long time ago on here.

The second one is the recipe in the RCCL cookbook and quite different in the way it is made.

Cake number 1. The First recipe:

Flourless Chocolate Cake from the Viking Serenade

Serves 8

Ingredients

1 lb. semi-sweet chocolate

1 tbsp. vanilla extract

1 tbsp. dark rum

3/4 cup heavy cream (The cream is only used to decorate the top of the cake.)

3/4 cup coffee brewed strongly

8 eggs

1/2 cup granulated sugar

Preheat the oven at 300f. Butter a 10-inch mold and refrigerate it until ready to use.

The recipe says to wrap the mold in two layers of foil so that the water bath does not seep into the batter.

Place chocolate, vanilla, rum, and coffee in the top of a double boiler place over 1-inch of simmering water.

Whisk until the chocolate is smooth and no small lumps appear

Turn off the heat and remove the chocolate from the hot water. Transfer the mixture to a larger bowl.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugar. With an electric mixer, beat until pale in color, stopping two or three times to scrape down the sides. Add some of the chocolate mixture and beat until incorporated. Pour this into the remaining chocolate mixture until just combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared mold. Place in a roasting pan and pour enough boiling water into the pan to come half way up the sides of the mold. Bake for one hour at 300f.

Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool at room temperature. Chill in the refrigerator overnight.

Turn over the mold, cover the top of the cake with whipped cream.

Second recipe:

Cake number 2.

Flourless Chocolate Cake from the RCCL Cookbook by Rudi Sodamin

Yield: 8 - 10 servings

Ingredients:

12 ounces (340 G) semisweet Chocolate chips

1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract

1 Tablespoon dark rum

1/4 cup (60 ML) strong brewed coffee

5 large eggs

1/2 cup (70 G) granulated sugar

3/4 cup (200 ML) heavy cream

Whipped cream, fresh fruit and mint leaves for garnish.

1. Preheat the oven to 325F/160c. Coat a 10 inch (25 cm) spring form cake pan with butter and wrap the outside of the pan with a double thickness of aluminum foil to prevent water from seeping in. Chill a large mixing bowl.

2. Place the chocolate, vanilla, rum and coffee in the top of a double boiler set over 1 inch (2.5 cm ) of simmering (not boiling) water. Whisk until the chocolate is smooth and no small lumps remain. Turn off the heat and remove the mixture from the hot water. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.

3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugar. With an electric mixer, beat until pale in color, stopping 2 or 3 times to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add 1/4 of the chocolate mixture and beat until incorporated. Pour this mixture into the remaining chocolate mixture. Stir until combined.

4. Bring a large kettle of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in the chilled mixing bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form. With a rubber spatula, fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture until just combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and cover the top with aluminum foil. Place in a roasting pan and pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come halfway up to the outside of the cake pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until small cracks appear on the surface.

5. Remove the cake from the oven and let cool to room temperature in the pan on a wire rack. Chill in the refrigerator overnight until ready to serve.

6. To serve, unmold the cake and place on a chilled dessert plate. Garnish with whipped cream, fresh fruit and mint leaves.

Hey Alexis,

Love your xmas mouse. I used the 2nd recipe for my daughter's birthday cake. It was yummy!!

Yes, time for the "Christmas mouse" to appear.

I am partial to the First Recipe for the Cake. A thick, "stick to the roof of your mouth", "solid piece of fudge", "slice of clog your arteries", "broaden your hips", piece of cake.. :eek:

:D

OK, you omitted one important fact in the recipe about wrapping the pan.

That's what I meant by putting the "sleeve" around the pan.

Well, I froze and brought back a piece for my masseuse, so does that count??:D

I'm glad you have the other recipe; it's good to have choices in life, especially where chocolate is concerned!!

I am partial to the First Recipe for the Cake. A thick, "stick to the roof of your mouth", "solid piece of fudge", "slice of clog your arteries", "broaden your hips", piece of cake.. :eek:

Me, too! I've never known anyone who didn't like this dessert.

My son especially liked the fact that I gave him a bottle of rum "minus 1 tablespoon" after I made it!!:D

I never saw the first one, I think I will try that one for xmas.

That sound delicious; it is my favorite dessert ever! Unfortunately, I have no prayer of ever being able to make it... :)

Never say never. Unless you try, you will never know. :D

I just gave you two recipes. Pick the easiest and give it a try. ;)

You might surprise yourself. :eek: :D

I never saw the first one, I think I will try that one for xmas.

Some people say they had no luck with the first. I don't know why. Mine is fine.

Maybe they do not realize just how thick and rich this cake is. You have to pull it off of the folk with your teeth. :o :D

My kind of chocolate. :p

=pcur;12473677]Me, too! I've never known anyone who didn't like this dessert.

My son especially liked the fact that I gave him a bottle of rum "minus 1 tablespoon" after I made it!!

Gee, no samples for you and his fiancé while making it?

Hi. I would like to try making the cake this week, it sounds yummy!! :D How much coffee grounds did you use?? I know you said a strong brew, but not sure just how much. :o

When I made it I made like triple strength, it came out great.

Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing: it's not coffee GROUNDS; it's brewed (liquid) coffee.

My DS has an expresso machine, so he made me 3 shots, we added a little water, and his fiance said it was between Starbucks and expresso. That's the strength I used, and the flavor was perfect.

=pcur;12475929]Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing: it's not coffee GROUNDS; it's brewed (liquid) coffee.

My DS has an expresso machine, so he made me 3 shots, we added a little water, and his fiance said it was between Starbucks and expresso. That's the strength I used, and the flavor was perfect.

When I made it I made like triple strength, it came out great.

After eating a slice of this cake, no one sleeps at night. :eek:

Just kidding you two. That is about the strength I used too.

Archived