I made Royal Flourless Chocolate Cake again for Thanksgiving!

pcur

It's so rich that it's best to eat on a full stomach: you eat less, and you don't get hit so hard by the caffeine!!

That's because the calories block the caffeine. :D

The tiniest piece is really the best piece to try. ;)

Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing: it's not coffee GROUNDS; it's brewed (liquid) coffee.

My DS has an expresso machine, so he made me 3 shots, we added a little water, and his fiance said it was between Starbucks and expresso. That's the strength I used, and the flavor was perfect.

I was not sure how much coffee grounds to use to make the brewed coffee.

If you were normally going to brew two cups of coffee to drink for breakfast, you would probably add 1 coffee scoop of grounds to the basket. Double that to 2 scoops of coffee grounds to the basket.

You will have a double strength stronger cup of coffee. ;)

If you were normally going to brew two cups of coffee to drink for breakfast, you would probably add 1 coffee scoop of grounds to the basket. Double that to 2 scoops of coffee grounds to the basket.

You will have a double strength stronger cup of coffee. ;)

Thanks Alexis. :D I am going to a friends house to help plan her daughters bridal shower on Saturday. They are big Royal Caribbean fans and LOVE the cake. I want to SURPRISE her with it!! :D That way if it doesn't turn out she won't be disappointed. :o

This post MADE my evening! I am such an insecure cook that I question everything about a recipe - and when getting the directions from a cookbook there is no one to ask. To see someone else want the details as specific as I do was wonderful. :)

This post MADE my evening! I am such an insecure cook that I question everything about a recipe - and when getting the directions from a cookbook there is no one to ask. To see someone else want the details as specific as I do was wonderful. :)

My mouth is watering just thinking about eating this cake. ;) I am looking forward to it and then find out I did something wrong, :( it will make me mad because I didn't ask. Glad to know that I'm not the only one to ask details. ;)

To keep the water out of the springform pan and the chocolate goodness in, use heavy duty aluminum foil - the wide stuff - so that you can completely wrap the springform pan tightly in a skin of foil. That way, you won't get any leaking in or out. In fact, I double my heavy duty foil layers.

For "strong" coffee, I use expresso.

And nothing goes better with chocolate than raspberries!

Here the Raspberry Coulis that is pooled on the plate:

1 pound of frozen raspberries, thawed

2/3 cup confectioner's sugar

Blend raspberries and sugar in a food processor until it is like a thickish syrup. Strain out seeds by pouring the mixture into a metal mesh strainer (the smaller the "screen" the better!). I use a spoon to vigorously stir it back and forth until there is nothing left but a pulp of seeds. Scrape the underside of the wire seive with a clean spoon since a lot of the coulis will cling to the underside. That's all there is to it. I keep this in a squeeze bottle so that I can decorate the plate before placing the cake on it. It goes with a lot of other desserts, as well.

And if you really want to go over the top with chocolate, try a little chocolate ganache drizzled over the top.

This dessert is a favorite amongst our charteryacht guests. It is awesome and requested often!

The recipe does call for two layers of foil to be wrapped around the pan. Thank you for the hint. You are correct, the heavy duty foil probably would work best. ;)

And, thank you for the Raspberry Coulis recipe. I will certainly keep that with the cake recipe when I print it again.

Ang in Miami: Here the Raspberry Coulis that is pooled on the plate:

1 pound of frozen raspberries, thawed

2/3 cup confectioner's sugar

Blend raspberries and sugar in a food processor until it is like a thickish syrup. Strain out seeds by pouring the mixture into a metal mesh strainer (the smaller the "screen" the better!). I use a spoon to vigorously stir it back and forth until there is nothing left but a pulp of seeds. Scrape the underside of the wire seive with a clean spoon since a lot of the coulis will cling to the underside. That's all there is to it. I keep this in a squeeze bottle so that I can decorate the plate before placing the cake on it. It goes with a lot of other desserts, as well.

Well..... I made this last night and the cake batter was leaking out of the spring pan!! :eek: Hubby and I quickly poured the batter back into the bowl and looked for another pan. I ended up using an alummiun pan. Can't figure out why it leaked out. :confused: Did anyone else have this problem??

Well..... I made this last night and the cake batter was leaking out of the spring pan!! :eek: Hubby and I quickly poured the batter back into the bowl and looked for another pan. I ended up using an alummiun pan. Can't figure out why it leaked out. :confused: Did anyone else have this problem??

Sorry to hear that.

It sounds like the double layer of foil was not wrapped/squeezed around the pan tight enough. :confused:

When you finally got it cooked, did it turn out at all?

Which recipe did you use? 1 or 2. I am just curious.

The batter was leaking out of the spring pan as we were wrapping the foil paper around the pan. The batter was very runny, like water. I used the first recipe. Yes, it taste good, BUT I only had this cake once on board, so I'm not sure if it tastes the same. My friend that I am visiting in a few minutes has had it several times. I want to see if she (and her husband) says anything before I tell them!! :rolleyes: ;) Got to go...

The batter was leaking out of the spring pan as we were wrapping the foil paper around the pan. The batter was very runny, like water. I used the first recipe. Yes, it taste good, BUT I only had this cake once on board, so I'm not sure if it tastes the same. My friend that I am visiting in a few minutes has had it several times. I want to see if she (and her husband) says anything before I tell them!! :rolleyes: ;) Got to go...

One error you should wrap the pan tight with the foil BEFORE you put the batter in. The batter was definitely thicker then water not sure on that score.

I always use recipe#2 where you include the whipped cream in the batter.

I don't enclose the spring pan with foil, but use it around the top to shield the cake and enclose the heat. This way (I think) it cooks from both the top and the bottom.

With the thicker batter, the leakage is slower. If you use recipe #1, then the foil encasement would be a must, because the batter is so much thinner.

And, remember, if you goof, it makes amazing pudding with the same garnishes!!! This happened to me one year, and I put it in beautiful champagne flutes. No one knew the difference!!

Archived