Do you or yours lose SeaPass cards?

Jay Bee

Reading the thread on the lost wallet prompts me to ask....

How many of you or people with whom you're cruising manage to lose their SeaPass cards during the cruise? I always, always, always keep mine in the same place because I do not care to suffer any of the myriad of consequences that losing it could entail. After all, it's your room key, your charge card, and your way of getting back on the ship at port. It's a simple enough matter to show up red-faced at Guest Relations and get another -- they deactivate the lost card -- but I suppose it could get sticky if not done quickly enough to avert trouble.

That's why I was completely dumbfounded when DH lost his, not once but twice, on our recent 7 night cruise. And one of these was while off the ship on an excursion. He was not permitted to exit the terminal building to return to the pier. I pretended he did not belong to me and left him to sort it out on his own.:)

I should add that the 2nd time he lost it was the last night of the cruise. We were somewhat anxious about debarkation because our travel arrangements were tight. We were getting off Express Departure and couldn't afford to have anything hold us up. Has anyone ever tried to leave at the end without a card?

I lost one at muster when the life jacket got caught on my water wallet and broke the clasp- We looked for it and couldn't find it- gave up after about 10 minutes and went straight to the purser's desk to get a new one.

I had to wait a while for them to issue a new one as they were doing something with sailaway, but they deactivated the old one right away.

I should add that the 2nd time he lost it was the last night of the cruise. We were somewhat anxious about debarkation because our travel arrangements were tight. We were getting off Express Departure and couldn't afford to have anything hold us up. Has anyone ever tried to leave at the end without a card?

On some ships, you don't even need your card when you disembark, as you do not have to put it into the machine to check out.

I lost mine only once in about 8 cruises (did not have them on all of my cruises)

but,not really my fault,I had it on a lanyard,and was walking around deck and a big gust of wind blew it up and off my head,and it went in the water:D

My ditsy (hi sis) sister loses hers all the time :confused:

We don't generally "lose" things, but I have had the card become "de-magnitized", which is a huge pain in the rear! It entails a long walk to have the card fixed!

Mine de-magnitized too, seems that you can't put them next to credit cards!! :p Go figure! But they were very nice about replacing it at the Purser's Desk.

My DH loses his at least once a cruise. He puts it in his swim suit pocket and gets in the hot tub and it comes out. He keeps on doing it. Just can't train him right.

Yeah, I think that's the issue. Our DHs must be cosmically related. Does this have any ring of truth to it? We had to don life vests twice on this past cruise - once for muster and once in a small water taxi. For muster the thing was on inside out. The second time, and I am not kidding, it was actually upside down. :confused:

I have often misplaced mine. :o I go to the desk, get a smile and a sarcastic tsk tsk and a new sea pass card and then I'm on my way to misplace again! I've never actually lost mine, just misplace, search everywhere and then they usually turn up later in a pocket, purse, bag or being used as a book mark. I'd do the lanyard thing, but then I'd just misplace my neck. :rolleyes:

Mine de-magnitized too' date=' seems that you can't put them next to credit cards!! :p Go figure! But they were very nice about replacing it at the Purser's Desk. [/size']

I found out that a cell phone (that is on) will de-magnitize them, too. I've made many a walk back to the purser's desk or hotel desk. Will I ever learn?:p

I think my dear mother lost hers at least 4, maybe 5 times while we were in Alaska! She'd lose them in her room, she'd leave it in a slot machine. I told her to quit putting it in the slot machine, it's NOT worth it.

The problem was that she had ordered a wine package, and they had to keep looking it up and noting it on her card with a Sharpie...and then she would lose that card. She also refused to wear a lanyard, and actually she needed a leash!:D

Mine de-magnitized too' date=' seems that you can't put them next to credit cards!! :p Go figure! But they were very nice about replacing it at the Purser's Desk. [/size']

I tend to demagnitize mine regularily. I don't carry a purse in the evenings so my card is neatly slid in the side of my bra & the metal from the underwire does it in all the time :D

I lost mine once. On one cruise we bought the logo RCCL lanyard with the plastic sleeve attached. So, on the next cruise we pull those lanyards out and put our SeaPasses in.....We go and check out our cabin on the first day right after lunch, the wind is whipping around and DW says, "what was that flying off of the balcony". I did not think much of it til about an hour later when we were leaving the cabin and no sea pass!!!:eek:

The wind whipping the lanyard around took the sea pass right out and into the drink! Went down to the Pursers Desk for a replacement.

Lesson learned, punch a hole in the sea pass and don't use the plastic sleeve.

I usually punch a hole and put it on one of stretchy spiral bracelets. We are sailing the Enchantment next week and the safes require a magnetic strip card. I was going to use an old hotel card and punch a hole in that and put it on the same bracelet. Will this de-magnetize the seapass?

Archived