If I decide to eat in my cabin on formal nights..

rogerdm

Roger, I don't know if this has been covered, if so, I apologize for the redundency.

One of the things I thought was just great on the Celebrity Mercury (and I would think all x ships) was the place setting in he buffet area at the dinner hour. Tables set exactly as in the main room, same menu, even had a so-molly-air wine person with the little silver spoon on a chain taster thing (very classy). The asked for reservations and a $2 buck tip to cover the waitstaff. No need for formal wear and a beautiful view out of those floor to ceiling windows. No need to eat in the room, all alone, life is a Cabaret my friend, come to the Cabaret....(did I actually just write that?)

3_2_121.gif

Try shopping for a tux online....John had great success. Just go to google and type in men's formalwear. You will see a gazillion ideas. Good luck in your search. If Jax-Pax does a reunion cruise...please come, join us! You will fit right in, I promise. You will find "cruisers" to be classy and fun-loving.

Hey Phil!

I know who it is, but the only other suitable one was Cher!

Roger,

Find me a good price on a single and I could be persuaded. I get back from Horizon on Nov 12th and am free until Century Dec 4th ! What ship are you on?

Not that I care! As long as it's a ship and it's on the ocean, I'm ok! 1018.gif

Gosh...That would be nice.. My family is meeting me on the boat for the Nov 13 Constellation. I have my own cabin, I am alone so far for the 11/20/05 Hawaii RT on the Infinity.

Roger, I have a husband who hates dressing up. We have been on many cruises and we both love Celebrity best of all of them. He does dress us for dinner, but as soon as dinner is over, gone is the sportsjacket or suit. He is into comfortable clothes, which for him are shorts and a golf shirt. I have tried to change him, but it doesn't work. He MIGHT stay in a pair of long pants, but that's about it. We have never been told by anyone on Celebrity that he needs to change. I would LOVE for him to stay dressed all night, but he is so uncomfortable that I don't complain anymore. I still wear my dress clothes, and he is comfortable. Even when we lived in Binghamton NY, he felt the same way. He is the only man I know who would go out in the middle of winter with a short sleeved shirt and a down vest. We all have our own quirks and sometimes even though they don't make the wife/husband/partner happy, we go along to keep peace. Maybe your partner will agree to dressing for dinner only. I love the custom of dressing and short of getting divorced, I guess I will have to live with my husband's choice. Good luck and happy cruising.

Katie

Just a note to all the posters on this thread: it has been great reading. Such great suggestions and kindly thoughts. I laughed out loud reading the post which spoke of the husband whose "girth is not ideally porportioned to his height." And after reading it myself, I read it aloud to my husband, who just happens to fit in that category. Also especially enjoyed the references to Tom Cruise and Sean Connery. Must say myself, I'd prefer Sean Connery. I'm sending my beloved spouse of 38 years to get measured for a tux immediately, so we can have one waiting in our cabin! What fun! Thanks to you all.

Rodger, I wish you were on my cruise so we could share a toast together...to how fabulous you felt and looked in your relaxed silk shirt (sans tie) amid new friends. You need to do what is most comfortable for you; but please, dont forsake the pleasures of the formal dining experienes. I am sure you will be most elegant with or without a tie. My husband is partial to the silk tee (black or greyish silver) and has never received any negative comments or looks. It may be our tropical latitude and heritage that makes him balk at the necktie but...he looks dashing nonetheless...as I'm sure you will. go...indulge...enjoy...

Hi:) Roger, I do hope you have a wonderful cruise, and my hats off to you too...for the length of time for the partnership.

I am also one of those who has never been in a long one.......actually next month I will be divorced 19 years.

Everyone has given you fantastic advice, so I will agree with them as well;) .

I would suggest trying at least one formal night...it is such a lovely evening...not just the "dinner part" but the entire night.

And I would also love to sail with you.....your "vibe" comes across so positively on here.......bet you would be fantastic to cruise with:D

Roger, I know where you are at. My husband has claustrophobia and can't wear a tie without choking -- literally, not just figuratively. To complicate matters, his girth is not ideally proportioned for his height. Further, most of his life he has worn short sleeves because long sleeved shirts went way beyond his fingertips. But I so wanted to see him in a Tux again (he wore one when we married 29 yrs ago). We ordered a tux through Cruiseline Formalwear in April 2003 for our Transatlantic cruise.

The first problem the agency identified was that his girth could not be accommodated in a "short" size (we opted for regular). The second problem was their largest shirt's neck was 21. Doug is a 22. They telephoned to be sure the measurements were correct and said they would try their best. We crossed our fingers.

We arrived on board to find the tux waiting in our cabin. Following the agency's recommendation, Doug immediately tried on the whole outfit, including the tie! He was amazed. They had customized both shirts so the sleeve length fit, the body fit AND (drum roll) -- he wasn't choking when the tie went on! He looked stunning on all three formal nights! More importantly, he felt good AND comfortable. He claimed the tux was more comfortable than any of his suit or blazer/shirt/tie combinations at home.

He felt so good (and knew he looked so good ) he even posed with me for a portrait - something he hadn't done for over 24 years. I'm sure he felt taller. In fact, I'm positive he strutted into the Dining room that first Formal night. For our cruise next month, he has been the one reminding me to order the tux!

I do hope your partner will be able to work up the courage to overcome the "fear of being confined" feeling. There's something magical about being on a ship's deck and gazing out over the vast expanse of water. To be able to do so, with the person who means the most to you, is a gift you cherish for the rest of your life.

Good luck and happy cruising.

Terry

I write...Offtune Angel - That's the best thing I've read in a while. This whole thread is warm.

Dave S.

Find me a good price on a single and I could be persuaded. I get back from Horizon on Nov 12th and am free until Century Dec 4th !

Tuggers: Pardon me for being so forward as to "crash" your conversation with Roger, but for the Hawaii R/T Infinity, from San Diego, I see where a Cat 10 is going for $1175.95 total pp. We are also booked on this cruise and it sounds like it is going to be fun! The only problem I see is that you are sailing on the Century on the 4th and we don't dock until the 4th. :confused:

Archived