Prices Over the Top!

dmk

Just checked pricing on 3/12/2006 Hawaii. A little less expensive than it was earlier in the week but definitely more expensive than it was last. Sorry I can't compare as I was looking at a different category and Canadian pricing but I should have booked last week. I'll keep my eye on it and see what happens.

Benjamins- good reply.

Exalt him- I also understand that service in the DR varies from station to station on the Premium lines. Not everyone was as fortunate as we were to have exceptional service on the HAL. I lucked out on the westerdam.

But I would still be waiting for my Martini on both the Connie and the Zenith.Kids sodas- forget about it ! Once on the connie the fountain sodas were Bad. The bar server would not believe us and argued. Really . How dumb.

Loved the ship and would sail again - but its not Crystal or Raddison ! And come to think of it 30 nights on Princess and never had this happen.

I just got off the phone with Celebrity about two hours ago....checking out prices for the March 11 Summit sailing. Almost $6,000 for a CC cabin!! The April 1 sailing is about $2,000 less. I really wanted the March 11 date but plan to take the April 1 cruise. I was really surprised by the fares, but with so many of the cruises almost full, it's a seller's market. Guess it really pays to book early!

Eliz-there are prices for Mar 11 with some agents and the price is way below what X is giving you. So don't quit looking. Instead of calling the line direct look at all agencies websites-they are there.

I guess we are in agreement. Like Jacqueline says above, Celebrity is no Crystal or Raddison. In fact I would say it is much closer match to Carnival then it is Crystal. Now if your Prices are closer to the high in line and your actual experience is closer to the low end line, I wonder what will happen in the future? :confused: Only the shadow knows.

I know what you mean! I have a three week trip planned for the end of next May. I have airfare, hotels, rental car, and the second half of a BtoB (HAL Zuiderdam). The only thing lacking, is the Century. Everyone has it at $1,290 for an inside room; give me a break--I can get a balcony on the Zuiderdam for $200 less than that!! Looks like the only price breaks will be inside the 70 day final payment period. So much for people who like to plan ahead. Maybe it is time to take a serious look at the upscale cruise lines?? Too bad, because I really love Celebrity (Select member of the Captain's Club).

Celebrity has no new ships coming online in 2005. They can raise revenue two ways: Raising the prices of their cruises to unthinkable levels or going after T/A's and having more bookings come direct to them.

They have choosen both.

Joannie

Kelmac, I too like to plan ahead. We have booked Millennium in Feb 2005 at prices I believe are very high. Hoping for a reduction before we sail. We were on the Zuiderdam in July 2004 and Nov 2003. We stayed in a S suite for less than what you are quoting for an inside. You will enjoy the Z. Staff tries very hard to please; however, I still feel Celebrity is a notch above. I guess I can see if what I remember is correct in Feb. Enjoy and hope your Century back to back works out for you.

I can't believe how much the rates have gone up as well. For our 5/23/05 sailing on Galaxy in the Med.. it went up $1400 for two! For someone like me, on a tight wedding budget, an increase like that would just be impossible for our honeymoon. THANK GOODNESS I booked eary. PHEW!!

Our aft cabin has gone up $1950 for 2 on the Celebrity site since we booked in July. We luckily booked very early with an agent who beat Celebrity prices by $500, for a difference of $2450 between booking and now!

FLJudi

I have 11 Celebrity cruise and elite status. Did this mean anything when i talked to Olga the onboard cuise consultant on my recent Horizon cruise to Bermuda, No. I was quoted a higher price for a 3 day west coast Mexican cruise than the 6 Day Bermuda cruise I was on in the same category. Does Celebrity now think it is Crystal. I may book a Celebrity cruise next year if they get over this insanity with their prices. Other cruise lines offer repeat cruisers preferred pricing that is lower than a first time cruiser would get. If us repeaters stop sailing with Celebrity who will fill their ships?

RCI's stock is in good shape. They will make $2.30+ per share this year, and they have closed the gap on Carnival Corp. RCI is just "floating" out this price control experiment in order to gain favor with the brick and mortar travel agencies. They want these TAs to educate, and pamper the next generation of cruisers, without increasing their own customer service departments. You see, if someone books online, and then has questions, they may contact RCI directly, thus placing demands on customer service that RCI wants travel agents to handle.

Is the demand that real? I don't know. Bad weather, an uncertain economy, security issues, and land based alternatives are all considerations. This I do know, I won't book an RCI cruise(Royal Caribbean/Celebirty), as long as it is 20--30% higher per person, per day, compared to HAL and Princess. This is also part of supply and demand. By the way, Celebrity is my favorite cruise line.

Enjoy! Kel

Originally Posted by ho
, Celebrity is no Crystal or Raddison. In fact I would say it is much closer match to Carnival then it is Crystal
[quote name='tbelian']Somehow, I doubt this.[/QUOTE]

You can doubt all you want but the reality is exactly that. We are veterans of 5 Carnival cruises and 5 Celebrity cruises and yes, there can be some differences (attention to service) but Celebrity is WAY closer to Carnival than to Radisson or Crystal. Food an edge to Celebrity, entertainment and activities strongly to Carnival, and passenger profile--no matter how much many of you don't want to believe it--is a wash. For example, we NEVER were awoken by drunks in the hallway at 4:00 AM on a Carnival cruise like we were twice on the Horizon last week. Go figure.

[quote name='ECCruise']You can doubt all you want but the reality is exactly that.[/QUOTE]

The fact of the matter is, I do doubt it, and at the end of the day, I'd prefer Celebrity over Carnival. I'll be honest, I don't think I could afford Crystal.

So, to put things in perspective, from a high level standpoint, if one is to make comparisons, then they should be prepared for criticism of said comparisons.

Ps. You mentioined being on Carnival, And Celebrity... have you been on Crystal or Radisson? Admittedly, I have not been on them. I guess the marketing worked for me.

i do not want to get into the middle of your argument...i mean discussion but why is crystal considered the top of the cruising measuring stick? i have been on 2 crystal cruises and let me tell you they were not "all that and a bag of chips". dont get me wrong we had a great time....afterall it was a cruise. but this vision of unattainable excellence is just that....a vision.

[quote name='DUCK33']i do not want to get into the middle of your argument...i mean discussion but why is crystal considered the top of the cruising measuring stick? [/QUOTE]

Because, for some reason, many equate price with product.

The Crystal cruises I looked into were all expensive.

There are other things (like staff to passenger ratio) that people could through in, but, I think a lot of it has to do with price = quality misconceptions.

Now price and value? Thats a different issue.

Tbelian,

Believe it our not I agree with you on this one. I would prefer to sail on Celebrity over Carnival if both were priced in the same ball park. I would however prefer to sail on Crystal over Celebrity if both were priced in the same ball park. Even if the service was the same and remember I think Celebrity's on board service is good, I would take Crystal if for nothing else, my bar bill would be much less.

My problems with Celebrity has had to do with the customer service departments, administration and management which are all land based operations. I will continue to sail with them as long as they are competitively priced with whom I think there competition is, Princess, HAL, RCCL, NCL. I don't think many customers will pay Crystal prices for Celebrity's current product which I think was the reason for this tread "Prices over the top"

Just one guys opinion.

[quote name='ho']Tbelian,

Believe it our not I agree with you on this one. [/QUOTE]

Somehow, I doubt this (that's a JOKING reference to the other post I made of the same name),

I think this pricing thing is a trial balloon being floated by RCL (Royal Carribean, including Celebrity).... It will float back down to earth when it runs out of gas.

Celebrity's prices have gone up because supply has caught up with demand. No new ships, increased demand = higher prices it is the American way. Being elite already I'm not concerned with double credits for booking CC class. I was in this class on my last cruise and for what ever extras I good it was not worth it. I will just book a lower outside cabin in the future and save a few bucks. If I can get a balcony on HAL or Princess for what Celebrity wants for an outside cabin, it will be good bye Celebrity.

Archived