Live in Orlando need your advice

sandestination

Our plane gets in Orlando Next Friday. We have pre paid roundtrip transfers from the airport to the pier. If you were me would you stay in Orlando overnight and use your transfers the next morning....Or would you rent a car 1 way 1 day pay that extra and stay in Cocoa Beach or Cape Canaveral friday night and catch their shuttle to the ship use my transfers coming back. I didn't know if it would be more fun to stay near the beach. The room wouldn't cost extra because we are using points 30K verses 25K in Orlando. So At a loss as to what would be the best. My DH says he's at a loss being married to me. :rolleyes: After 36 yrs I let him get away with that. :D

Thanks

Lynda

Lynda:

If for some reason the space shuttle isn't able to launch on Thursday, then Friday offers the next 'window'. You might find it interesting to be as close a possible for that viewing, but there's also that issue of the nasty Beachline traffic for launch days (it can get really bad). Please drive carefully if that's the case.

If you do decide to head on over in a car, then you'd be able to plan your day anyway you'd like, and not on someone else's schedule (or non-schedule). Lots of neat things to do over in the Cocoa area. Playing Florida tourist can be quite fun. Then you have no rush whatsoever on sailing day, other than returning the rental.

Have a great time, no matter what you choose. . . . and I'll see ya onboard in a week!! :) :)

Lynda:

If for some reason the space shuttle isn't able to launch on Thursday, then Friday offers the next 'window'. You might find it interesting to be as close a possible for that viewing, but there's also that issue of the nasty Beachline traffic for launch days (it can get really bad). Please drive carefully if that's the case.

If you do decide to head on over in a car, then you'd be able to plan your day anyway you'd like, and not on someone else's schedule (or non-schedule). Lots of neat things to do over in the Cocoa area. Playing Florida tourist can be quite fun. Then you have no rush whatsoever on sailing day, other than returning the rental.

Have a great time, no matter what you choose. . . . and I'll see ya onboard in a week!! :) :)

Thanks Don I figured if I put live in Orlando you would see it. Didn't know how else to get to you. That pretty much settles it for me to stay near the ship. Do you reccommend any place in particular we are looking at the Hampton in on Atlantic drive I think not sure of the address. But I feel better about not having to worry or rushing on Saturday morning. Are the roads going from the airport to the beach toll. One time my husband was there and hadn't been to the ATM and only had a $50 on him...:) Is the Hampton in cocoa beach good or is there a better place to stay since not familiar with the area

I was just on roll call board. I had heard people on this board talk about decorating their door for all the roll call members that way everyone would know who they had been chatting with all this time. Do you know if any of our group will do that? I know we had pretty much said we were going to meet on the back of the Lido after Nassau around 1:30 or so.... You said you had a CC tee shirt. I never did get us one just had many things going on. I am Blonde and wear glasses so I know that would make me real easy to identify :) but We could wear our University of memphis shirts or hats. That would work. Take Care a

. Are the roads going from the airport to the beach toll. One time my husband was there and hadn't been to the ATM and only had a $50 on him...:) Is the Hampton in cocoa beach good or is there a better place to stay since not familiar with the area

Yes there is a toll of .75 and the drive is one road all the way until its a left for the ships or a right for the hotels and beach.

There are nicer hotels IMHO. I would actually try priceline and see if it gives you the Holiday inn Cocoa beach for $50-55. That seems to be a popular priceline hotel at that price. I know the area very well.

Our plane gets in Orlando Next Friday. We have pre paid roundtrip transfers from the airport to the pier. If you were me would you stay in Orlando overnight and use your transfers the next morning....Or would you rent a car 1 way 1 day pay that extra and stay in Cocoa Beach or Cape Canaveral friday night and catch their shuttle to the ship use my transfers coming back. I didn't know if it would be more fun to stay near the beach. The room wouldn't cost extra because we are using points 30K verses 25K in Orlando. So At a loss as to what would be the best. My DH says he's at a loss being married to me. :rolleyes: After 36 yrs I let him get away with that. :D

Thanks

Lynda

you have to go BACK to the airport to use your transfers. pain in the neck.

we rented a car for $36 i think. we drove to cape canaveral, stayed at radisson resort at the port. dropped the car off the next morning (budget is 2 blocks away from the hotel), and they took us to the pier on their complimentary shuttle.

another time, we stayed in orlando, did disney, and had a limo reserved for transport the next day. but, we cancelled, b/c our flight was cancelled and we ended up having to drive.

bottom line, my suggestion is: if you don't have a desire to disney, drive to port canaveral and stay there. the hotel is wonderful. great pool, very reasonable restaurant, nice tiki bar, and tons of people getting on ships the next day.

Two years ago, DH and I spent the Christmas holidays at the Radisson in Cocoa Beach and it was beautiful. Very close to the ships and I believe they offer shuttle service. The hotel is not on the beach, but has a beautiful pool area and very tropical.

Have a great cruise. We are sailing on the Glory on 12/22, but we live in Florida and will be driving from home to the port.

I stayed at the Radisson too, who is the only hotel that has a FREE shuttle no matter which room you book. The rest of the hotels the shuttle is only free if you book the cruise special. Its only a few bucks per person each way, if you have a regular room booked at other hotels.

You can book the $99 hot internet special and get the free shuttle at the Radisson.

If you have points for a specific hotel you will probably still have to pay a couple of dollars to shuttle to the pier, but its nice to stay near the beach imo.

I used to live in Boca Raton and think even the air in Orlando is stiffling, you dont get the ocean breezes I got used to. If you are just going to go sit in a hotel room and not get out, then it probably wouldnt make a difference.

I stayed at the Radisson too, who is the only hotel that has a FREE shuttle no matter which room you book. The rest of the hotels the shuttle is only free if you book the cruise special. Its only a few bucks per person each way, if you have a regular room booked at other hotels.

You can book the $99 hot internet special and get the free shuttle at the Radisson.

If you have points for a specific hotel you will probably still have to pay a couple of dollars to shuttle to the pier, but its nice to stay near the beach imo.

I used to live in Boca Raton and think even the air in Orlando is stiffling, you dont get the ocean breezes I got used to. If you are just going to go sit in a hotel room and not get out, then it probably wouldnt make a difference.

this must be a different radisson though, right? it's still cheaper during certain times to rent a car than to get a van or limo service for the 40 minute ride.

OP, this is the one i was referring to.

http://www.radisson.com/capecanaveralfl?s_cid=L6845514

you have to go BACK to the airport to use your transfers. pain in the neck.

we rented a car for $36 i think. we drove to cape canaveral, stayed at radisson resort at the port. dropped the car off the next morning (budget is 2 blocks away from the hotel), and they took us to the pier on their complimentary shuttle.

another time, we stayed in orlando, did disney, and had a limo reserved for transport the next day. but, we cancelled, b/c our flight was cancelled and we ended up having to drive.

bottom line, my suggestion is: if you don't have a desire to disney, drive to port canaveral and stay there. the hotel is wonderful. great pool, very reasonable restaurant, nice tiki bar, and tons of people getting on ships the next day.

Thanks I didn't even think about dropping the car the next morning... Dah I am brain dead. We have to stay at certain hotels to use our points. They cover Hilton,conrad, dobletree, embassy suites, hampton, hilton garden inn, homewood suites by hilton.... I was looking at that particular hampton because they are usually nice and that one said 150 yds from the beach... I did hear you can't see the beach anymore because I condo now blocks that veiw. But I just tought it would be fun.

Thank You

Lynda

Good luck booking a motel near Canaveral on a launch day. We were able to watch the 12/9/06 nite launch from the fantail of Glory about 40 miles out to sea. Absolultely SPECTACULAR! At first it looked like a nuclear explosion on the horizon, then a laser-like pencil beam of light went up into the dark sky.

this must be a different radisson though, right? it's still cheaper during certain times to rent a car than to get a van or limo service for the 40 minute ride.

OP, this is the one i was referring to.

http://www.radisson.com/capecanaveralfl?s_cid=L6845514

Same Raddison??? Yes, I knew you meant the one in Cape Canaveral. The shutle I was talking about is the one to the port, not from Orlando.

The other hotels do charge for the shuttle to the port if you do not book the cruise special, Radisson doesnt.

I think we were talking about two different shuttles.

O.K. Everyone THANK YOU> I just got off the phone we are renting a car on friday and staying in cocoa beach and will return out car in cape canaveral they have a shuttle to take us to the port. SOOoooo Happy

will let everyone know how Glory is when we get back.

lynda

Same Raddison??? Yes, I knew you meant the one in Cape Canaveral. The shutle I was talking about is the one to the port, not from Orlando.

The other hotels do charge for the shuttle to the port if you do not book the cruise special, Radisson doesnt.

I think we were talking about two different shuttles.

that's why i thought we were talkin about 2 diff radissons. even though i did not take their transportation, i thought you had to pay for it, can't remember why i thought that, but something made me think it, lol.

anyway, it's good to know they don't charge.:)

Archived